Ernst & Young (1 Viewer)

jessiiii

HSC
I'm starting as a trainee in tax, I think i'm in the minerals, energy and utilities group... how bout u?

oz_rocker

Todd Heslin
HSC
im will be a trainee in financial services...so audit

cant wait! whos goin to the chrissy party on the 8th?

lilou

HSC
i'll be a trainee in audit too...but in RCIP..i got sent an invite for our chrissy party on the 15th ... i think this is only for RCIP?? Anyone on this thread going?

shengyeo

Sheng
HSC
Hi Lilou,

My name is Sheng and i will be trainee next year as well, in the Technology Minerals and Property Group, doing audit.

Our chrissy party is on the 14th, i think each department has its own day.

Cya
Sheng

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I am currently a trainee in corporate tax, TCE/RCIP/EGM.

Might see some of you around.

lilou

HSC
i was wondering if anyone on this thread could possibly help me??

i'm starting a cadetship in Audit (RCIP) in early March. I'm really looking forward to it, but am stressing out a little bit about where i'm going to live and tansport ofr next year.

I am still living at home and it would take me 90 minutes to get to the office each day. Does anyone know if College Square (UMelb) is a good environment for cadets?? Do they have parking??

Second question, will i need a car?? I dont currently drive, but am going for my licence in Feb. Do most cadets drive?? How do you all ge to clients?? To university ?? (I'll be at UMelb) Will my job be compromised if I dont drive?? (I will be in RCIP)...Finally, is there parking at or near Ernst and Young?? (Is it expensive)

Thank you all so much for your help!!! I don't know anyone else in my situation, so I cant find any answers to my questions!!

I cant wait to meet you all in March!!

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I live in Sydney and I travel 60-90 minutes from work to home. It's really not that big a deal. There are alot of people who have to travel alot further.

I just get a train. Sorry but I do not know how it works in Melbourne so I am really not much help.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
The EY building is pretty close to Flinders St Station isn't it? You can just probably tram it from UMelb to EY, it'd take about 15-20 mins. You probably won't have parking, so I guess public transport would be the way. When going out to clients, I suggest you get a lift from one of the senior people on the job, or take a cab out and charge it back (that'll be explained next year).

lilou

HSC
Minai and Meads- thank you both for your replies! I thought public transport would be the logical way to get to work too, but was worried about getting to clients. I'd still love to hear from any Melbourne people on the thread too! Its great to heear that I will be able to do my job without a car, and that it is quite normal for cadets not to drive. (Am I correct in assuming this from your posts?)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure how EY works, but I'm pretty sure it'd be similar to our firm whereby engagement members should aim to use public transport, but if it's not possible or viable, then use taxis (which are reimbursed). Driving oneself is usually not the preferred option and requires approval from seniors (as the firm has to reimburse the mileage), but in some cases (such as clients in rural areas)- it's the only way. I think it's unlikely that they'll send you out to somewhere rural without either someone else to take you there, or knowing that you're capable of driving there yourself.

In short, having your license is definitely an advantage (I often drive out to clients who are near me, but nowhere near public transport) but isn't a necessity.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I drove to clients when they weren't in the city because PT just took too long. Driving to Belrose from my place was about 50 mins ish and would have taken almost 2 hours by PT. Driving to Padstow and North Ryde took around 40 mins, which would have taken 1.5 hours by PT using 3 trains and 1 bus, so yeh =\.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Your mileage or PT is fully reimbursed anyway isn't it so it's in one's best interests to just take the most efficient/fastest method.

proo

HSC
is there any advice or thoughts you can give on how we should plan our uni timetable? im planning to go unsw and some of my friends were thinking of squeezing it all into one day, from 2-8pm so it can be all done in one go. is that too much?

btw i think ey cadets start on the 12th? thats what i think my friend told me

roadcone

HSC
people have different perspectives on whether you should put all your uni on one day or spread it out. You will hear responses from some people saying 2 - 8 thats way too long, you won't be able to concentrate or whatever. I am of the opinion that getting it all in on one day is the way to do it if your timetable will let you (and to be honest it very rarely will).

You are not required to concentrate or work nose to the grindstone for 6 hours straight, in fact the reality is quite different. The bonus also is that you won't have to front up another day of the week. I had a 2 - 8 block last semester and it worked an absolute charm.

proo

HSC
roadcone said:
people have different perspectives on whether you should put all your uni on one day or spread it out. You will hear responses from some people saying 2 - 8 thats way too long, you won't be able to concentrate or whatever. I am of the opinion that getting it all in on one day is the way to do it if your timetable will let you (and to be honest it very rarely will).

You are not required to concentrate or work nose to the grindstone for 6 hours straight, in fact the reality is quite different. The bonus also is that you won't have to front up another day of the week. I had a 2 - 8 block last semester and it worked an absolute charm.
Thanks for that. sooo helpful :):)
What do you mean that the timetable won't let me do a 6 hr block? Can't we choose any of the lectures and tutes? or are we restricted in the patterns?

Also, if you start uni at 2, how do you leave work? do you just take it out of your annual leave?

thanks in advance =D

roadcone

HSC
Its not that the timetable won't let you do it in a 6 hour block, it is more that the availability of lectures and tutes are not always conducive to allowing for study in this pattern. In fact last semester I chose my subjects based around the timetable I wanted so that I could get it that way.

In terms of leaving at 2, the firm I work at (not EY) allows for study leave during the week to go to uni. So I get 4 1/2 hours off a week to attend uni, therefore leaving at 2 was not a problem. If you don't get this time off and would have to take annual leave to do it, I would not suggest it as thats a crap way to waste annual leave in my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)