ESL story narrative (1 Viewer)

celery

HSC
minikiwi said:
how can i analyze the narratives of a story?????
i didn't do ESL for my HSC...but when you analyse anything the most important thing is to talk about TECHNIQUES.

so...in your case, you need to identify the techniques used in narratives/story in your analysis. Here are some examples of narrative techniques off the top of my head:

metapor
simile
symbolism
Structure (e.g cyclical, flash backs)
tone
repetition
theme/icon

Of course, you cannnot just identify them. You MUST MUST MUST follow these 4 steps:

1. identify the technique in relation to the question
(e.g. the author has used symbolism in the story to demonstrate the experience of the little girl to the reader...)

2. explain how the technique has been used to portray the point
(e.g The use of symbolism has been used to emphasis the spiritual rebirth of the little girl...)

3. give evidence to back up your explanation
(e.g This has been exemplified in the story when the little girl collects a pool of water in her cupped hands from the stream and splashes it onto her dirty face...)

4. and then relate it back to the question
(e.g The painful experiences endured by the little girl clearly reflected by her dirty face and the spiritual rebirth symbolised by the use of water in the process of cleansing herself has reinforced the message the author was trying to demonstrate...)

I don't know if this answers your question, but i hope it helped a little! if you need anymore help just ask =) goodluck!:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)