essay inclusions... (1 Viewer)

ArtOfLosing

HSC
:wave:I need some help in just what we need to put in an essay...

In a 'representation and text' essay (or creative type response for that matter) is it necessary to talk about the nature of representation in general before moving into the specific topic such as the truth?
I was thinking of something like: "texts represent concepts in different ways to evoke certain meanings... blah blah blah... The truth is represented...frontline... etc."
Or is this just a waste of ink in an exam?
I ask this because in ext english we have been told to talk about genre as a whole before moving into spec fiction, which is an approach that makes sense and shows that you know the topic the topic as a whole not just specific texts. But is this needed in advanced?

Also for supplementary texts I'm going to have a go at Buffy (as a whole and then either the eps 'storyteller' or 'lie to me') and 'So Much To Tell You" by John Marsden - feedback?

HSC
N/A
Don't try and "merge" eng ext 1 and eng adv together - there is a reason they are two completely different subjects!! The spec fiction module is entitled "Genre" for a reason, much the same way retreat from the global is under "Ways of Thinking" and so forth. They look at different things - whilst there are some crossovers with other modules, don't assume that cutting and pasting from one subject will actually answer the question in another.

In regards to your original question, it depends on the essay question. Whichever feels like the most appropriate way to answer it (concentrating either on form, content, or both) then do so.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)