Essay Plan (1 Viewer)

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
Can anyone tell me how I'm meant to structure an essay plan? I have absolutely no idea how they're meant to work. Also, if I'm writing one for CC1 and I don't intend to make my final project an essay, do I have to say that anywhere?

Also, I'm doing Journalism, and I have to write a News Story on the Redfern area. So if anyone lives there, ideas would be welcomed...

THANK YOU

Jinglebell

HSC
Essay plans can pretty much be structured however you like, as long as it outlines your intentions for your project in some way. I generally go with subheadings under which go a series of dot-points (with further evidence/quotes as further indented dot points). If your tutor specifies some sort of preferred format though, best to stick with that.

For CC1 (or 2) if you're not writing an actual essay just explain what medium you've chosen and why, and then do your plan for the assignment you're doing. No point writing an essay-type plan for your random fictocritical piece which probably won't be written until 3 in the morning the day it's due, for example *looks innocent*:p

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
For your journo story, have you looked at the Southside News story list in the UTS Journalism folder on UTS online? That might give you some ideas. Go to Redfern community centre, check out City of Sydney events on their website.

Who is your teacher for J1?

The major thing going on in Redfern at the moment is the Redfern/Waterloo redevelopment....

If you are really stuck for stories, go and visit local shopkeepers and ask them what are some of the problems/goings on in the area at the moment. People in small shops are usually willing to chat!

Check out and see if the local schools are doing anything exciting.... e.g. a musical, excursion, new learning program, etc. See if there are any art exhibitions/performances happening in Redfern.

Best suggestion is to hit the streets.... I had my first news story for J1 published in The Point because I just went out with a friend in Glebe and we asked shopkeepers what was going on in the neighborhood and got several good story ideas.

Eventually you will be able to see everything as "news stories".... you will see construction going on somewhere, wonder why, who by etc.... you will see interesting people doing interesting things and wonder what their story is.

Hit the streets, pick up brochures and local papers, and you will find lots of potential stories, guaranteed!

midnight

we used to be friends
HSC
My class was told that for the essay plan we need to reference 10 or so items and talk about why they're useful for our idea, and not to use point form [they take all the fun out of life...]. It might be different for other tutors.

I still haven't started mine yet. I hope all the books I want aren't gone. :mad:

I got assigned a news story. Journalism is so scary. :(

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
LOL the scaryness of journo is the best part in some ways.... I still get scared when I have to interview, it's kinda like an adrenalin hit!

It's all worth it when you see your byline, no matter how small the publication is!

roseangel

Take the Money and Run
HSC
Thanks for all your help guys. My journalism teacher is Kathy Kallos, just by the way for whoever asked.

I was walking through Redfern with the girl I'm doing the assignment with and we seriously found nothing. We talked to so many people and they had so little to say. I suppose that was because we really had no idea what was going on there.

Anyways, thanks again!

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Eventually you will be able to see everything as "news stories".... you will see construction going on somewhere said:
Tell me about it! It's almost impossible to take my sister out anywhere (she works at the Courier Mail) on her day off b/c she's constantly side-tracked by random things going on in the street! She's always like..."Oh, I hope so and so is going to report this...maybe I should take some notes..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)