Essay Structure (1 Viewer)

Mazey

Heyz i was just wondering (for Area of Study) how was everyone told to structure their essays?

We were told

Set text
(Link with)
Stimulus

Set text
(Link with)
Related

Set text
(Link with)
Related 2

But i got this question.. something like "people respond differently to change" and i kinda thought that method seemed ... irrelevant to the question... like wouldnt it be better to just analyse each text individually?!

I dunno what do you guys reckon? Stick with a tried and trusted method or vary it depending on the question?!

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
I would say to try and stick with a "tried and trusted method" unless you're completely confident that your essay structure is flawless (or just as good as your normal one). Better to be safe than sorry.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by Mazey
But i got this question.. something like "people respond differently to change" and i kinda thought that method seemed ... irrelevant to the question... like wouldnt it be better to just analyse each text individually?!
I think it would be wise to then contrast the texts, ie link the texts where they are comparable, then show how their differences in contrast - which helps answer a question such as that

stump

I think you can do it either way. My teacher said if you cna link texts by techiniques or points then you should set your essay out like that ie one paragraph per techinique/point discussing all texts as it shows a higher level of sophistication. but if that's too difficult or the texts don't link well together then you should just do it text by text.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
I write slow so i go

text
stimulus
related 1

then

text
related 2

i got 12/15, which is ok for most people

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
my english teacher said to get top band 6, ie. 15/15 , structure it according to the pts u wish 2 make about change and integrate the texts into it rather than division of texts (unless u wrote a super 1337 sophisticated answer)

tempco

HSC
So you have to base your structure on your ideas/points, rather than making distinctions between the text being analysed?

Each time I do that, I always leave something out...

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by ballerinabarbie
we were told as a basic outline - set text/stimulus/related #1/related #2
thats the easiest method and the one i use 90% of the time but to make it better you have to make sure you link your texts from paragraph to paragraph and you should have references to the other texts within each paragraph eg THis is similar to the change experienced in ______ however...

Mazey

Hmmmz
Noooo u can contrast between the texts (if thats what you mean by making distincitons)

But make sure you concentrate on the contrasts and comparisons on ideas and techniques they use.

And i think i've worked my essay out but i hate it :( cos that question's crap! It's not really on the IDEAS of change (which is what ive focused on) its more characters and composers reaction to change :(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
my english teacher said to get top band 6, ie. 15/15 , structure it according to the pts u wish 2 make about change and integrate the texts into it rather than division of texts (unless u wrote a super 1337 sophisticated answer)
i was told it didn't matter, i used to do it this way but it's harder. but i supposed doing it that way is more impressive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)