• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Essay topics (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
From what I can tell, the best way to study for History is to write practice essays on everything and anything. I was thinking it woud be a good idea if everyone posted the essay topics they are given or hear about and then we can have a sort of 'resource centre' where we can go to find topics.

I'll post the ones i have up here in a couple of days ( Mine will all relate to Germany and Indo China but everyone feel free to post any ones , no matter what the module)

Thanks guys

s2ophie

HSC
Here is some of the essay topics my teacher has suggested for Indochina. We had a really hard one but i can't find the question )any help Ash!!)

Examine the impact of the US policy of anti-communism from 1954-75

Account for the success of communism in Indochina by 1975

Account for the failure of democracy in Vietnam

To what extent was the Vietnam war a war of Imperialism?

Assess the reasons for the collapse of South Vietnam in 1975

Assess the impact of two nationalist leaders on the Conflict in Indochina

big al

Banned
essay topic

here are some

assess the impact of nationalism in Germany from 1928 to 1945

Account for the rise and failure of Nazism

s2ophie

HSC
so i don't have to start another thread on this, I'll bump up this one!

PLEASE guys post your essay questions, i am trying to put together a database of questions that i will eventually submit to Boredofstudies but i need more questions!

Please post your trial questions and any assessment question you have been given this year. Also if you did the CSSA or Independent trial please say so.

Imagine if we had a moderator for this forum who could stick this :p

emily

ok here's what i can remember :)

cold war

- assess the role of the domino theory in us/soviet relations. How realistic was the us fear of Soviet expansion in the third world?
- Assess the success of summit meetings in reducing superpower tensions
- Assess the extent to which the Cold War involved the nations of the middle east and africa
- Assess the extent to which the Cold War dominatred the lives of ordinary people in us and ussr

Germany
- Assess the extent to which Nazi power was reliant on propganda
- Account for the collapse of Nazism
- Acount for the failure of democracy
- Account for the success of the Nazis in imposing the Volkgemeinschaft

Speer
- To what extent was Speer an apolitical technocrat?
- How effective were Speer's armament reforms?
- Explain the positive effect of Speer's architure on the Nazi's power (or something)

that's all :)

this is a good idea...

DJBABAL

Germany
- Asses impact of military defeat in the collaps of nazi germany
-asses the impact of propaganda and terror on the jewish community

Leni Reifenstahl
-Describe the significant infulences on the career of Leni Reifenstahl during the weimar Period
-"Leni always maintained she was only interested in film not propaganda"
In the light of this statemant, assess Leni Riefenstahl's role as a nazi Propagandist.

Andronicus

RUSSIA & THE SOVIET UNION 1917-1945
-Assess the impace Stalin had on Russian society in the period 1917-1945.
-Explain how political aned social divisions shaped Russia and the Soviet Union in the period 1917-1928.

TROTSKY
-Explain Trotsky's ideas and the impact they had on Russian society in the period 1927-40.

INDOCHINA 1954-1979
-Assess the importance of the home fronts in determining the outcome of conflict in Vietnam in the period 1954-1979.
-With reference to the years 1954-1965, explain how and why America became increasingly involved in the Inochina region.

And remeber, ALWAYS use heaps of HISTORIOGRAPHY, because you won't get band 6 if you don't - you have to have plenty of relevant quotes and from different perspectives, and if you can pull in some stuff on revisionist school of thought (and can actually find a place to use it - which is almost impossible because it's so obscure) then you'll probably make some marker really impressed.

craz

HSC
IndoChina
Assess the impact of American foreign policy in IndoChina between 1954-75

China
Assess the impact of warlords between 1911-1925.

getting a bit off the thread...but can we actually write essays and have someone read them :confused: like so I know what i'm doing and how i can do it better...

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
craz, perhaps if you just post your essay as a new thread, then people could read and comment on it.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Here's one

Germany
-To what extent did Hitler create a social revolution in Germany?

jgirl:).....

how would answer that question braindrained ash? wot would u put in it.....like would it be all how through his fuhreprinzip that he created a new Nazi life, with education, role expecaations, media changed, movies, literature - how society functioned, no longer democracy etc...rights were abused, through him banning trade unions, hatered towards the Jews??? is this right

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I think that's right. I think you would just talk about the extent to which he changed German society.

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
Cause i think this is a very good idea and my teacher is always making us write numerous essay's i thought i'd post some for us new Yr 12's too and keep the thread going...

Trotksy
- Assess the extent to which Trotksy was responciabel for the victory of the Bolsehvik party by 1924
- Assess the extent to which Trotksy's political views led to his exile from the Soviet Union in 1928
- Describe the role of Trotksy in teh Red Army's vicotyr in the Civil war
- Discuss the features and the resutls of teh power struggle b/w trotksy adn Stalin in the period to 1928
- Describe teh significant influences on the ideology of Trotksy
- Identify the major features of teh life of Leon Trotksy in teh period 1917 - 1940
- "Leon Trotksy was a more logical and likely sucessor to Lenin that Stalin" In light of this statement, why was Trotksy unable to prevent the triumpt of Stalin as leader of teh USSR

Russia and the Soviet Union
- Accoutn for teh nature of Bolsehvik economic policy from 1917 - 1928
- Discuss teh aims of teh NEP and its impact in the USSR
- Accoutn for the relationship b/w the USSR and the Western powers to 1945
- Assess the impact of War Communism and the NEP on both the peasentry and proletariat in Russian society b/w 1918 and 1928
- Accoutn for the sucess of teh Communist party of the Soviet Union in consolidating the Bolsehivk Revolution in the period 1917 - 1928
- Assess how the Bolsehivks were able to gain power in Russia in 1917
-Why were the Bolsehivks abole to defeat their opponents by 1922?

Jennibeans

HSC
We're only just coming to the end of the WW1 topic so we've only done a source analysis task.

This was question 3: Assess how useful sources C and D would be for an historian studying the large number of deaths and casualties among officers and infantry on the Western Front. In your answer consider the perspectives provided by the 2 sources & the reliability of each.

Source C
The personal reflections of General Douglas Haig on the Somme offensive, written shortly after a visit to the battlefield on 31 March 1917

No one can visit the Somme battlefield without being impressed with the magnitude of the effort made by the British Army...credit must be paid, not only to the private soldier in the ranks, but also to those splendid young officers who commanded platoons, companies and battalions. Although new to this terrible, 'game of war' they were able, time and time again, to form up their commansin the darkness of the night, and in spite of shell holes, wire and other obstacles, lead them forward in the grey of the morning to attack of these tremendous positions. To many it meant certain death, and all must have known that before they started. Surely it was the knowledge of the great stake of the issue, the existence of England as a free nation, that nerved them for such heroic deeds. I have not the time to put down all the thoughts which rush into my mind when I think of all those fine fellows, who either have given up their lives for their country or have been maimed in it's service. Later on I hope we may have a Prime Minister and a government that will do them justice.

Source D
Memoirs of David Lloyd George reflecting on generalship in WW1 published 1933

It is not too much to say that when the Great War broke out our Generals had the most important lessons of their art to learn. Before they began they had much to unlearn. Their brains were cluttered with useless lumber, packed in every niche and corner. Some of it was never cleared out to the end of the War...They knew nothing except heresay about the actual fighting of a battle under modern conditions. Haig ordered many bloody battles in this war. He only took paet in two...he never even saw the ground on which his greatest battles were fought, either before or during the fight.

If anyone wants the marking guidelines from this particular essay send us an email and I'll get them to you. (marshmallowz92@hotmail.com)

hatty

Banned
hello

ive noticed alot of essay questions here
but the reason i am reluctant to do them
is what if i make a mistake somewhere in the essay?
how will i ever know?

craz

HSC
well...if you want someone to read your essays as soon as you're finished you can post in the history forum and ask for advice as such. when we did WWI last year, the paper was mainly about Christmas 1914...and propaganda.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Hatty, if u want, post up your practise essays on the board and people can take a look if they are familiar with the topic and give advice... also, you could save them until u go back to school and ask your teachers to take a look at them, I'm sure they wouldn't mind.

Jennibeans

HSC
and also if people have done some of those essays for assessment tasks they will have the marking guidelines to give you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)