Essays - English For Study (2 Viewers)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
2003 ESL Trial

This was a speech I did for the Module English For Study

Given time - 30 minutes

You have are asked to write an article in which it is to be published in the school newsletter, targeting Year 11 students.

Discuss at least THREE useful skills/techniques for study in the senior years of school.

TO BE OR NOT TO BE…

The question that underlies studying is: to be effective or not to be? As you are about to enter senior schooling, the end is in sight, but it may just be a little too early for comfort. As a senior student myself, currently in Year 12, I found that studying has become an inseparable component to succeed in the Higher School Certificate. To achieve your full potential and to maximise your results, three vital aspects should be contemplated thoroughly: analysing the assessment question, accessing different sources of information, and distinguishing between fact and opinion.

Assessment tasks are inevitable in the senior years, and this is exactly why you should analyse the question given so that you can answer it correctly and meaningfully. The questions should contain the Board-developed verbs. You will need to address the question in a way that the question is being asked. For example, evaluate, discuss, explain and justify are just the few common verbs that you will encounter. Knowing what each of the verbs means is equally important to answering the questions.

The second point I must emphasise is the information you present must come from a large number of sources. It is also equally imperative that you collate and synthesise your ideas and information effectively and logically. Once you have a wide array of sources, you are then able to select the most appropriate information available, keeping in mind that you have to consider the bias, validity and appropriateness of your resources.

Lastly, once you have synthesised your information, you need to determine whether this piece of information is fact or opinion. Depending on the question being asked, you will usually required to add a degree of accuracy to your work, that is, facts. However, if the question specifically asked you to evaluate, then you MUST make a judgement based on the criteria, that is, give an opinion.

In summation, I genuinely hope that synthesising these three simple and practical techniques into a context for a new habit for studying, with motivation as a base, will make your study in senior schooling a little easier. This is not to say that by following these three recommendations you will be able to top the State. Other major factors are also needed to be put into place, such as:
· Time management
· Exam preparation and techniques
· Note taking, and;
· Stress management.
I sincerely hope that you will undertake a meaningful, and beneficial senior academic journey that you will remember in the years to come.

Last edited:

Tingaling

HSC
oh.. i did something similar..but i didnt have to do a speach of 30min.. O_O" dont you think that would be a bit long??

I'd probabyl turn purple by the time its finished..>_______<""

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
No, the 30 minutes means this essay was written within the given 30 min time frame in exam condition. This was one of the trial questions I had for Paper 2.

hebehe

HSC
:) can u tell me how to keep linking back to the question?? cos i always miss the question...tat's y i did badly in my exam....
and one more question is how to analysis a poem?
tax a lot....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)