essential stats (1 Viewer)

olay

HSC
hey guys :)

just wondering what stats we really should know for the exam/which would be useful. so far i've got...

- interest rates
- eco growth
- exchange rates
- u/e rate
- CAD
- foreign debt
- inflation rate
- real GDP per capita.

best wishes for the eco exam. xox

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
i was a corse with Riley (he writes texts books and i think he is a head HSC marker). anyway, he told us there are four rital stats you need:

Inflation - 2.5%
Unemployment - 5.7%
RBA cash rate - 5.25%
Current account - -$47.4bn

He said others can just be a waste of time but they do show a good knowledge of current economics (e.g. Economic Growth - 3.6%, not sure why he didnt think this was so important).

hope that helps ya!

jimmik

HSC
shouldnt u know the current account as a % of GDP? or should we know actual figures as well?

HSC
disco_dave said:
i was a corse with Riley (he writes texts books and i think he is a head HSC marker). anyway, he told us there are four rital stats you need:

Inflation - 2.5%
Unemployment - 5.7%
RBA cash rate - 5.25%
Current account - -$47.4bn

He said others can just be a waste of time but they do show a good knowledge of current economics (e.g. Economic Growth - 3.6%, not sure why he didnt think this was so important).

hope that helps ya!
Isn't the unemployment rate for september 5.6%, spose its only 0.1% difference, but eh

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
good point. he also said as long as the stats are generally around the right number, its ok. because there are so many different sources that stats can come from and they differ.

but i think it might be 5.6%. oh well

Oz

HSC
lastest stats from sept put it at 5.6% down from 5.7% in aug

HSC
yeh in saying that there are stats from different sources, don't forget to write the seasonally adjusted figure, not the other one which is usually slightly higher.

olay

HSC
thanks guys. :) also i found in this thing public debt is round 5% GDP (2002) yet in another it said it was 20% GDP (2003) ...... what the golly?? it can't have jumped that significantly, esp seeing the gov't has been working at reducing public debt. ideas anyone??

Mannix

HSC
no way it could be 20%..thats too unsustainable. I thought Australia's long term CAD as a % of GDP was 4.5%...in the short run it may fluctuate higher and lower though.

thoughts?

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
agreed, no way it could be 20%. above 5% and you have the IMF invading you country to 'fix' the problem... i think its around 4.5% but i cant find a recent stat.

foreign debt is 49.6% of GDP and public debt is not half of our Net Foreign debt. my thoughts

olay

HSC
above 5% and u have the imf invading?? eh, in 95-96 ours was 19% of gdp. [peak] i don't think we had any imf ppl running in with 'suggestions' to fix it..

i get the feeling ours public debt is currently around 4.5% gdp too.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
disco_dave said:
sorry i was thinking CAD as a % of GDP. My bad, which does not like to go above 5%! Is that right?
=
Um, no.....

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
isnt it if the CAD reaches over 5% of GDP it is considered unsustainable?? im sure that once is right, and if its not im gonna get my fat dude in my sig to sit on your humping robots head!!!

whats the verdict??

olay

HSC
i'm pretty sure the 'danger zone' is over 6% GDP. [which is where our CAD is heading right now @ 6% gdp].

S

Shuter

Sustainable max is considered to be around 4.5% over the course of the busniess cycle. Short term 6-6.5% is considered ok but not permanatly sustainable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)