Estimates and Special Provisions (1 Viewer)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
This girl in my year had a break down halfway through the year and tried to kill herself so she stopped coming to school. She started coming for half days towards the end of the year but now she is not doing the HSC. She is going to get an estimate in the high 90's because she was doing so well in her assessments before she lost it.

I don't think people who can't do the entire HSC should get estimates. Its unfair to the people who work the whole year. If you can't do the whole HSC then you shouldn't be able to get a UAI.

And also, special provisions are a joke. People just go and get them because they can't be bothered writing and want to use a laptop. There should be more regulation in the special provisions to make sure only the people who really need them get them. I can type twice as fast as I write, and this guy I know can do the same and he went an got special provisions, how is that fair?

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
Why did he get special provisions?

They're good when they're deserved.

I wouldn't be able to do my exams without them.

It's daunting walking into an exam room and knowing that you're going to throw up/pass out at some stage and all your friends are going to have to watch it. At least special provisions takes away some of the stress.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I don't mind there being special provisions for those who really need them. But there are a lot of people I know that are just taking advantage of the system.

Plebeian

iamsickofyear12 said:
This girl in my year had a break down halfway through the year and tried to kill herself so she stopped coming to school. She started coming for half days towards the end of the year but now she is not doing the HSC. She is going to get an estimate in the high 90's because she was doing so well in her assessments before she lost it.

I don't think people who can't do the entire HSC should get estimates. Its unfair to the people who work the whole year. If you can't do the whole HSC then you shouldn't be able to get a UAI.
How would you feel if you were smart, had done really well all throughout high school and then faced some sort of problem in Year 12 which meant you couldn't finish the HSC? I'm sure she didn't carefully plan to have a breakdown so that she could get a high estimate without having to do work, if she had been doing well before then she obviously doesn't mind working hard to get good marks.

spooky's.gal

HSC
of course she didnt plan it, but the point is that she can now get into uni or whatever really easily just because she was doing ok ages ago. i have friends who were doing that well early in the year and their grades went down because they couldnt handle the stress etc, yet they arent getting an estimate in the 90's. its kind of giving the impression that if people fake suicide or a nervous breakdown or whatever, then they will get into uni easy-peasy. i dont think its fair. if the girl has recovered enough to continue into uni then i think she must be recovered enough to at least pick up yr 12 from where she was up to or something.
a girl i know had to miss heaps of school because she went and got herself pregnant. and no it wasnt an accident, she did *get* herself pregnant. but because she missed so much school with dr's appointment etc, and then actually having the baby, the school arranged that she would get some kind of estimate based on her earlier studies and what little assessments and exams she did attend. i think that it is just compensating her for going off and having a kid. if i missed that much school and all the assessments and exams that she missed i wouldnt get bugger all, but because she had a baby she gets the high road.
as the above poster said, how would i feel if id done really well in school then faced a problem in yr 12? well, i would expect to be treated the same as anyone else- if you cant do it then you arent reaching the outcomes and thus shouldnt be getting any sort of uai or anything.
lots of people have problems and dont finish, and they dont get special treatments, they dont get into uni without much effort, instead they end up being royally screwed over and not getting to where they wanted to, or they end up working just as hard as we all are right now to get to where they want to be.

KarmaKitten

HSC
I was about to say that :\

Pretty much in life, there are going to be people who get to your stage through other means, some might be faking it, some might be genuine, you just have to put up with and be openminded.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I agree with the estimate for the girl with the breakdown but not the baby... yes highroad for the baby but... have you ever had a breakdown? I think not... thats y I agree with it because I have and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy man. She will prolly be ready to go to uni cos she has had help in being able to deal with her depression. She may not even... she may not be ready to face the world next year... its been 2 years and 6 milder breakdowns and 4 attempted suicides and I'm definately not ready for the big wide world yet... so dont diss her. she desrves the estimate

iamsickofyear12

HSC
If you can't deal with the stress of the HSC you shouldn't get an estimate. It's not just about the marks, its about the ability to work hard for a year just like everyone else. In my opinion depression isn't as excuse. You should have to complete the entire HSC just like everyone else.

spooky's.gal

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
If you can't deal with the stress of the HSC you shouldn't get an estimate. It's not just about the marks, its about the ability to work hard for a year just like everyone else. In my opinion depression isn't as excuse. You should have to complete the entire HSC just like everyone else.
well said!
thats what i was trying to say. i always end up using too many words though.

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
i got special provisions coz im a type 1 diabetic...never even used them before this coz i didnt know i was entitled

basically, i just get separate supervision, n i can ask the supervisor to stop the time if i feel dizzy (due to low blood sugar levels) or to check my blood glucose reading... she then adds on the time at the end..hehe n i can eat chocolate if my sugar's low :p
anyways im glad i applied, as if i didnt, im taking a risk and could majorly stuff up my hsc if my sugar level goes too low..
yup so thats my life story..

anyone else out there have special provisions coz theyre diabetic?? just curious

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
uhh..
what do you think is worse... having people think you're suicidal for the rest of your life?
not getting into your preferred uni first time round?

yulia

i'm sorry for your face.
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
But if someone is doing brilliantly...don't you think they would in the HSC too if things didn't interrupt them?

No one plans to have a breakdown, and I think people are missing the fact that it doesn't happen just because OGM IT'S THE HSC. It happens because of lots of reasons, it's not the "holy fuck we have exams coming", there's a lot of outside circumstances that get you down, and when you have that and then think about how you're screwing up your HSC because you can't concentrate...it just adds to the feelings of helplessness :p

Do you know how horrible it is to know how well you are capable of doing, yet watch you disappoint yourself because some crap popped up in your life that you can't take control of?

Watching you disappoint yourself is heartbreaking :p

For the majority of my exams, my UAI is going to be based on my internal assessment mark, not my HSC, it makes recovery a lot easier knowing that you haven't messed up EVERYTHING in your life, and that to some point, how well you were doing before is being taken into consideration, they're not just going to look at the way you are now and say "No, you're just a screw up."

And if you don't think depression is an excuse, then you obviously don't know what depression is truly like. Albeit SAYING you are depressed just to get estimates/special provisions is immature and stupid, if a person is truly suffering from depression, it is a perfectly good reason.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
What if it is depression caused by a chemical imbalance, it takes awhile to diagnose and even then it isn't due to any stress. I have the possibilty of getting depression later in life as my dad had depression caused by chemical balance, if I had gotten it during yr 12 then it wouldn't have been due to any stressful activities or anything, it wouldn't affect my university performance as drugs can clear it up, however, it takes a while to realise the problem you just don't start taking drugs because one day you are sad.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
i reckon those who break down, etc do deserve an hsc, after all, as much as we like to think, the BoS isn't trying to kill us, they want us to succeed.
i agree that spec. prov is given out to liberally, but it's good for thise who need it

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
People, you've got to remember that estimates aren't necessarily a "good" thing.

a girl I know... her dad died during her Year 12 studies...

She got an estimate around the 60's. The didn't have much to estimate on anyway....

Oh yeah. Really good.

Dougie

Procrastinating Member
HSC
it all depends on how ppl were going origianlly...
but yeah, estimates can often suck

omg_a

HSC
maybe in some cases special provisions etc are takem advantage of BUT there are people who need them. also, there are many things you cant get special con for-ie having glandular fever in term 3 so you miss heaps of school. so there are still problems with the system.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Dougie said:
i reckon those who break down, etc do deserve an hsc, after all, as much as we like to think, the BoS isn't trying to kill us, they want us to succeed.
i agree that spec. prov is given out to liberally, but it's good for thise who need it
No they don't.... not all of us at least,
I recieved an email from the BOS stating 'We all hope you do not succeed'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)