ethanol as a fuel...(urgent!!!) (1 Viewer)

tootoobear

HSC
Question 1: Describe various ways in which ethanol can be used as an alternative to petrol. Include the % of ethanol used in the replacement product.( i got info o nthe % but i don't know how to describe how it can be repalced)
Question 2: Evaluate how successful the campaign to replace petrol completely or partially as a blended product has been.
Questino 3: What is the potential for ethanol use in cars in the future? How likely is it to be used in each case?

Plaese help. it's pretti urgent....!

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Middle of the holidays and it's urgent? You're dedicated. :)

Question 1: Describe various ways in which ethanol can be used as an alternative to petrol. Include the % of ethanol used in the replacement product.( i got info o nthe % but i don't know how to describe how it can be repalced)
Ethanol can be added to petrol in small amounts (up to about 10-20%) without need for engine modifications. In this case, I believe that the petrol and ethanol are just mixed together and pumped into the tank.

Pure ethanol can also be used by itself as a fuel for cars, instead of just an additive. This requires engine modification since petrol and ethanol create different conditions when they burn. Once you're engine's been modified, pump in the ethanol and off you drive.

Question 2: Evaluate how successful the campaign to replace petrol completely or partially as a blended product has been.
Your textbook should have references to the so-called "Brazil experiment" - where in the 1970's and 80's Brazil switched exclusively to growing cane sugar for ethanol fuel and made all their cars ethanol burning. The experiment was very expensive, an economic failure, and has been officially abandoned, although today some 20-25% of Brazillian cars remain ethanol-burning. Petrol is simply much cheaper and easier to use as fuel in cars.

Ethanol as a petrol additive has had somewhat more success, though I couldn't really tell you more than that.

Questino 3: What is the potential for ethanol use in cars in the future? How likely is it to be used in each case?
Ethanol as an additive - pretty likely. Engines don't need modification, and this reduces the amount of petrol we consume. Ethanol is a renewable product and has the 'potential' to reduce greenhouse gases if produced efficiently.

Purely ethanol - unlikely. Not economically viable, engines need modification, vast tracts of land needed to grow cane sugar to produce ethanol (with associated problems of salinity, erosion, etc), production process results in smelly waste liquids that have to be disposed.

Hope that helps out,

I_F

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Insert_username has some excellent points. :)

I'll just add that in the past - specifically during WWII, ethanol has been used as a petrol-extender. Also, ethanol has a high potential of completely replacing petrol in future because our limited supply of fossil fuels will eventually run out and ethanol is arguably the best alternative (even though it has quite a few disadvantages).

tootoobear

HSC
thank you so much Insert-username and Dreamerish*~ i really appreciate your help. Well to answer your question Insert-username, i had a research assessment due next term and there's tonnes of questions to complete.

Thanks anyways guys!!!!!!!

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
In the 70s and 80s, ethanol was used instead of petrol in Brazil.

But this proved to be too expensive, so in the 90s it was discontinued.

Talks were being made to use that technique again in 2005.

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I've already complete that assignment, if I am correct, it's one involving a syllabus dot points in the assignment? First of all, when is it due? Mine was due first term week 7, second of all the bulk of your information can be found by simply reading the chemistry text book, however in my assignment , you had to have a secondary source, I used H.S.C online and its links proved very useful.

Last of all, I realise this reply is in delay, but meh.

WouldbeDoctor

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
Komaticom said:
What's wrong with BoS as your secondary source, eh?

*shakes rolling pin angrily in WouldbeDoctor's direction*

jk
I rarly looked it at it, until recently. Did you use it as a secondary source when you did assignements?

Irradiated

HSC
tootoobear said:

Plaese help. it's pretti urgent....!
1) ethanol is used in petrol as a petrol extender because it completely dissolves petrol (or petrol dissolves it???) It can't be replaced because your engine is not designed for ethanoland would probably explode... maybe not but it sounds cool.
2) parliament recently agreed to use ethanol as an extender for fuel because the government just realised we are going to run out and so suddenly its safe for your car
3) It is likely to be used but only when the price of petrol is higher than the cost of ethanol and also the cost of modifying your car, which wont be for a few decades

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
angelxtearz said:
what about the complications of obtaining ethanol from the hydration of ethene?
Since ethene is mainly produced from crude oil, the problems of producing ethanol from ethene aren't necessary for this dot point. If ethanol is to be used as an alternative fuel, we can't produce it from exactly the same place as petrol - it needs to have a different (sustainable) source.

Ethanol from ethene comes under a different dot point - describe the hydration of ethene to ethanol, identify the need for a catalyst, and name the catalyst used. :)

I_F

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
insert-username said:
Your textbook should have references to the so-called "Brazil experiment" - where in the 1970's and 80's Brazil switched exclusively to growing cane sugar for ethanol fuel and made all their cars ethanol burning. The experiment was very expensive, an economic failure, and has been officially abandoned, although today some 20-25% of Brazillian cars remain ethanol-burning. Petrol is simply much cheaper and easier to use as fuel in cars.
Ethanol as a petrol additive has had somewhat more success, though I couldn't really tell you more than that.
I_F
Actually, that information is wrong as Conquering Chem 3rd edition is really outdated. The Brazil experiment is highly successful. Brazil is the leading exporter and producer of ethanol in the domain of alternative fuels. Brazil is the leader in using thanol as an alternative fuel and is miles ahead of any other nation. This was reported by TIME magazine in 2005 whilst Smith reprinted his 3rd edition (with no corrections) in 2002. In regard to ethanol's usage as an alternative fuel, both George W Bush and J Howard have explicitly named ethanol as the leading alternative fuel but have taken limited action to implement any programs. Meanwhile, the EU proposed using wine (ethanol) surpluses in France as alternative fuels. As you can see it is important to give accurate information as you will be marked wrong (and lose marks) for giving wrong info...so it's not just a case of regurgitating the textbook

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
beabenn said:
Actually, that information is wrong as Conquering Chem 3rd edition is really outdated. The Brazil experiment is highly successful. Brazil is the leading exporter and producer of ethanol in the domain of alternative fuels. Brazil is the leader in using thanol as an alternative fuel and is miles ahead of any other nation. This was reported by TIME magazine in 2005 whilst Smith reprinted his 3rd edition (with no corrections) in 2002. In regard to ethanol's usage as an alternative fuel, both George W Bush and J Howard have explicitly named ethanol as the leading alternative fuel but have taken limited action to implement any programs. Meanwhile, the EU proposed using wine (ethanol) surpluses in France as alternative fuels. As you can see it is important to give accurate information as you will be marked wrong (and lose marks) for giving wrong info...so it's not just a case of regurgitating the textbook
I see no reason why facts from the 1970's and 1980's should be reported incorrectly in Conquering Chem. The Brazil experiment - the attempt to adopt ethanol as a sole fuel, failed, and petrol was reintroduced. However, Brazil maintained its extensive ethanol production facilities and transport systems, which is why it is the world leader in this area. Today ethanol is started to make a comeback in the country thanks to new dual-fuel cars - most petrol stations in Brazil offer petrol alonside ethanol, and most petrol sold in the country has 20-25% ethanol anyway. In Australia, there remains some bad blood towards ethanol due to horror stories of cars requiring extensive repairs due to excessive ethanol being added to petrol - pressure from this led the Commonwealth to introduce a 10% ethanol cap.

I_F

beabenn

tambourine man
HSC
insert-username said:
I see no reason why facts from the 1970's and 1980's should be reported incorrectly in Conquering Chem. The Brazil experiment - the attempt to adopt ethanol as a sole fuel, failed, and petrol was reintroduced. However, Brazil maintained its extensive ethanol production facilities and transport systems, which is why it is the world leader in this area. Today ethanol is started to make a comeback in the country thanks to new dual-fuel cars - most petrol stations in Brazil offer petrol alonside ethanol, and most petrol sold in the country has 20-25% ethanol anyway. In Australia, there remains some bad blood towards ethanol due to horror stories of cars requiring extensive repairs due to excessive ethanol being added to petrol - pressure from this led the Commonwealth to introduce a 10% ethanol cap.

I_F
I can see where you're coming from but the quote "officially abandoned" is wrong
I don't know if you do physics but in last year's paper they had a question on assessing validity (and reliability) of secondary sources (so watch out chem students!) And what I have posted has assessed the validity of Smith's secondary source. It is not consistent with other more modern secondary sources. Therefore, we can conclude it is not reliable and some parts not valid
Don't see this as a personal attack but you should remember that markers don't mark you on facts they mark you on how YOU use the facts.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
beabenn said:
And what I have posted has assessed the validity of Smith's secondary source. It is not consistent with other more modern secondary sources. Therefore, we can conclude it is not reliable and some parts not valid
Please tell, why is the phrase "officially abandoned" incorrect? As far as I know, Brazil tried to adopt ethanol as their sole fuel, but it didn't work out, and they returned to shipping petrol. It doesn't mean they dissembled their ethanol production or distribution facilities, but they abandoned ethanol as an official fuel. That's my take on it, anyway.

Don't see this as a personal attack but you should remember that markers don't mark you on facts they mark you on how YOU use the facts.
You've argued with facts, and not with barbs and insults, so I see no personal attack whatsoever. :)

I_F

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
mmmmm this is a late reply, but for a reason:

might like to have a look at a newspaper article for some newly released facts...well, facts according to the newspaper that is.

have a read. brilliant stuff.

URL: http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/too-cool-for-fuel/2006/01/24/1138066792978.html
The Sydney Morning Herald,
Wednesday January 25, 2006
Pg 16: Insight

"Too cool for fuel" by Tom Phillips.

Sydney Morning Herald said:
Sugar is reducing Brazil's dependency on petrol and slashing greenhouse emissions from transport, writes Tom Phillips.
AdvertisementAdvertisement

BRAZILIANS find it difficult to get by without sugar. In the mornings they stir copious amounts into their coffee, and by night they douse their caipirinha cocktails with spoonfuls of the stuff. Now, they are increasingly choosing to pump it into their cars in the form of ethanol, powering a sweet-tasting revolution that is reducing its dependency on petrol and turning it into an example for the rest of the world of how to reduce greenhouse emissions from transport.

Statistics show that more than 183,600 "flexi-fuel" cars, which can run on petrol or ethanol made from sugar cane, were sold in the country in December, more than 70 per cent of all cars sold in Brazil. And that's growing each month: December was up 16 per cent on November, which was up 15 per cent from the previous month. In all, 33 per cent of all the fuel used in Brazil's cars is now derived from sugar.

Cost is the driving factor - ethanol fuel is 60 per cent of the price of petrol in Brazil - but there is growing appreciation Brazil is leading the world in the flight from fossil fuels. The President, Luis Inacio Lula da Silva, frequently describes his country's pioneering use of bio-diesel - a mixture of conventional diesel and vegetable products - as the country's "energy revolution".

One of those spearheading this is Luiz Custodio Martins, president of the Sugar and Alcohol Union in Minas Gerais, Brazil's second-largest sugar-producing state. "Brazil's growth in this area is irreversible," he says, explaining that the country's vast land mass and tropical climate make it the ideal place to produce sugar cane.

Luis Cortez, a professor at Sao Paulo's University of Campinas, who has spent 20 years researching biofuels, says: "We have the land, the rain, the climate and the experience in Brazil. I don't see any other liquid fuel that can compete."

Brazil's love affair with ethanol as a fuel began in the 1970s, when its national alcohol program was created after petrol prices shot up and the Government, importing 80 per cent of its oil, was faced with an import bill of $US22 billion. It found the solution at the bottom of a bottle. "The dictatorship had greater political ease in putting something like this into practice, because it didn't need to ask anyone," says Cortez. "In this field, at least, they got it right and they did something that really favoured the nation."

Brazilian motorists soon developed a taste for what is known as "alcool", and the Government is congratulating itself. Martins believes Brazil's economy has saved at least $400 billion in fuel imports since the introduction of the program. He predicts that if oil prices remain high, 95 per cent of all new vehicles produced in Brazil will, by next year, be flexi-fuel.

Experts hope exporters will benefit from ethanol as much as the domestic market has. Brazil exported 2 billion litres of ethanol last year, making it the world's largest exporter, with 40 per cent of the market. That figure is expected to rise substantially over the next decade.

He is surprised that European countries have, until now, shown little interest in developing alternative fuels. "In Europe, there are very few innovations in renewable energy," he says. "There is lots of talk, but most of it is just political. These countries are not showing a big interest."

Cortez cites new studies that show ethanol will be extracted from different vegetable fibres, which he hopes will help cement Brazil's dominance in the field. There are others, however, who doubt Brazil will be able to keep up with foreign demand for ethanol, with interest being displayed from as far afield as China and Africa.

In the Campos region of Rio de Janeiro, where much of the state's sugar cane is grown, there was a leap in production of 20 per cent between 2003 and 2004, due to the increased demand of ethanol producers. A recent study by Sao Paulo's sugarcane industry association, Unica, indicated that ethanol producers would have to increase production by 10 billion litres by 2010 to keep pace with overseas demand.

But a lack of space near the country's ports and an outdated transport infrastructure may prevent Brazil from fulfilling its potential. "We will have to build roads and other means of transporting alcohol in certain regions," Cortez says.

Despite the obstacles, Cortez describes Brazil's dominance of the ethanol market as a genuine success story: "The developed world should look at how a poor country, which does not have a history of technology, was able, by means of its own creativity, to give an intelligent answer to the energy problem. The human being is not just intelligent because he is rich."

The Guardian

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Wow, some useful info in that article! Cheers M.D. :uhhuh:

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
a pleasure peoples, a pleasure :). just hope it helps for ur HSC.

it just goes to show that 'secondary sources' isnt limited to the internet and text books --> have a sniff around newspapers and magazines(e.g. TIME),academic journals (e.g. New Scientist) and even documentaries(like the many on National Geographic). u might be pleasantly surprised. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)