Ethical issues in Pompeii (1 Viewer)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
One of the points from the syllabus for the core is 'Ethical issues: study and display of human remains'. Since this is mainly based on your own opinions, would they be likely to ask this in the exam, and if so what sort of form would the question take?

ediisjoz

HSC
Ok my teacher made some fake questions up for us seeing as though pompeii wasnt done before. and it goes:

Using source 1 (its a picture of a plaster cast in a workshop), and your own knowledge, explain why the display of human remains is an ethical issue. (8marks)

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Cool. That's actually a pretty easy question, I guess, you can just ramble about how there is no consistent moral guideline as to how old bodies have to be before you can display them.

charltonm

HSC
Hey, I'm from a country highschool and we had the same problem, but we organised a very informal debate to discuss as many points as we could. It was a great idea and wasn't as boring as normal class work.
Some points raised were the necessity to uncover the past, conservation, comparisons to modern day sites etc. I know it sounds a bit dorky but it works a treat.

hitachi88

HSC
Triangulum said:
One of the points from the syllabus for the core is 'Ethical issues: study and display of human remains'. Since this is mainly based on your own opinions, would they be likely to ask this in the exam, and if so what sort of form would the question take?
For the 2006 HSC exam, it was the first time with the revised Ancient History exam; and I remember the teacher STRESSING that ETHICS AND MORALS would play a major part in the exam. And if I recall correctly, indeed it was.

It is important to remember even if the question doesn't specifically say 'what is the ethics of digging up skeletons and displaying in the musemn' you include at least 50% of the essay/answer about ethics/morals. Now, I don't mean to say you should just babel on about the philosophy of cadavers; I mean to say you link YOUR ANSWER of archaelogy and anceitn history VERY STRONGLY to MORALS and ETHICS.

A more likely question would be 'Discuss the changing technology and trends of archaelogy practices in Pompeii/Hercualenum.'

IN that response, you would refer to changes from grave robbing to modern day scientific and medical experiments;; whilst linking it to the changing ethical perceptions and how it has influences the technology and archaleogical practice.

Any question with opinion, say whatever you want, but remember to BACK IT UP, don't just say big empty fluffs.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
If I remember the exam correctly, it wasn't quite on ethics and morals, but on something tangentially related to it. I'll check..

Wait, I can't find anything on ethics and morals. Which question are you referring to? The closest is the 10-mark on the Lady of Oplontis, but that was about modern methods and technologies.

fishy89sg

HSC
for that dot point:

·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]ethical issues: study and display of human remains

what do we EXACTLY need to know??

any help will be GREATLY appreciated :D:D

kookaburra

HSC
Using source 1(body from the Macellum in Pompeii) Source 2 (body from a forum bakery in Pompeii) and other sources discuss the ethical issues regarding the study and display of human remains.

they might use this question but they would have to change the sources around and it would be a 10 mark question

Last edited:

rachaelemma

HSC
ethical issues have to do with whether it is right to continue excavation on P & H sites although the majority of already uncovered sites are in bad repair and can be properly studied, and will be gone for future generations etc etc. at present work on the sites has stopped as many archaeologists believe that the uncovered sites should be properly studied and at least partly preserved before uncovering further sites. Many archaeologists alsobelieve that the sites should be preserved for the future when improved technology can properly exaimine the sources.

does this help guys???

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
There was a piece on 60 minutes in 2004 where Tara Brown interviewed Andrew Wallace-Hadrill and Robert Harris in Pompeii and Herculauneum. There was an interesting section on some skeletons in Herculaneum that haven't been treated properly.

Ethical issues aren't just about whether it's ok to display them. There's the science vs religion issue, respect for the dead, conservation etc. You really need to come up with concrete examples to support your points.

fishy89sg

HSC
smurfygirl said:
There was a piece on 60 minutes in 2004 where Tara Brown interviewed Andrew Wallace-Hadrill and Robert Harris in Pompeii and Herculauneum. There was an interesting section on some skeletons in Herculaneum that haven't been treated properly.

Ethical issues aren't just about whether it's ok to display them. There's the science vs religion issue, respect for the dead, conservation etc. You really need to come up with concrete examples to support your points.

thx for this delicious tip

xinxin89

HSC
we got this question in the trials, our teacher said it's actually inviting you to talk about the new reseach and technolgies stuff too. Has anyone else been told that by their teacher? Cuz not many of us did in the trial, even if we did, we touched on it. The dot-point is focusing on ethical issues isn't it? I really dont see where the new research and technologies stuff come in.

atreus

HSC
maybe discussing whether or not new technologies are going too far, allowing us to do more unethical things in the name of research.

jennayy

HSC
smurfygirl said:
I found the report to be a good tip. Here something i found on it:

In 2004, in an interview on the Australian television program "60 Minutes", Wallace-Hadrill aired his opinion about the neglect of the archaeological site of Pompeii. He was described as an angry archaeologist when he argued that the conservation issues that need to be acted upon urgently at Pompeii are sadly being neglected and that the site is suffering from a "second death". Regarding the deterioration of Pompeii, he contends, "Man is wreaking a damage far greater than Vesuvius. The moment of Poempeii's destruction was also the moment of its preservation. The public needs to understand that unless constant efforts are taken to arrest the decay, the site will, within decades crumble to nothing"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Wallace-Hadrill

!!C0opskies!!

Gangsta
HSC
xinxin89 said:
we got this question in the trials, our teacher said it's actually inviting you to talk about the new reseach and technolgies stuff too. Has anyone else been told that by their teacher? Cuz not many of us did in the trial, even if we did, we touched on it. The dot-point is focusing on ethical issues isn't it? I really dont see where the new research and technologies stuff come in.
our teacher said when we talk bout it to mention like lazer, how back when she was working they had just a massive stack of bones and then talk bout how improving methods have altered the ways that archeologists deal with the corpses.

Safa_2009

HSC
with ethical issues its from section 3 in the syllabus and there is a one in three chance of getting it asked and it's usually a ten mrk question.:music:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)