ethnicities at usyd (1 Viewer)

jamila123

HSC
im starting uni in like a month and im so nervous about fitting in, i feel like theres no other black people at usyd :(

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Oh universities love racial minorities, believe me, you'll fit right in.

BandSixFix

Disillusioned
HSC
I'm sure there's plenty of people in the same zone as you, and you don't necessarily need to be the same color to fit in :) But if you feel that way, I'm sure there's a lot of black people at Sydney, think about, there's a lot of people in the uni, its going to be very multicultural and diverse. And as I've heard, all the asians go to UNSW so there's even more reason to think that more black people are at Syd!!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
There are plenty of Asians at USYD as well. You get quite the mix of different cultures at any university.

Besides, I think you'll find that most people in our age group don't care about things like ethnicity when picking and choosing their friends.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, if you put your colour behind you, you'll find that everyone else does as well and that your race is not really a big deal when it comes down to it.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
What a stupid question!
You live in Australia, you're bound to find at least one person of the same ethnicity/colour/religion as yourself, especially at USYD.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
What a stupid question!
You live in Australia, you're bound to find at least one person of the same ethnicity/colour/religion as yourself, especially at USYD.
Unless you're from a super white area haha

Trust me I've been white ppl who couldn't name more than like 3 countries in Asia (this includes China and Japan lol) or who have never heard of Ramadan or think that Sri Lankans/Pakis/Indians are all the same thing (because their suburb and school was just white af)

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC

Trust me I've been white ppl who couldn't name more than like 3 countries in Asia (this includes China and Japan lol) or who have never heard of Ramadan or think that Sri Lankans/Pakis/Indians are all the same thing (because their suburb and school was just white af)
What suburbs are super white

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
What suburbs are super white

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Camden, Picton, Oran Park - a.k.a the rural-ish areas of south-western sydney

Wollongong is also very white. I had a teacher from Kiama who had never heard of Ramadan/Eid/fasting

Flop21

HSC

Ha I live in a super white suburb/area.

Angali

HSC
N/A
I think you'll be just fine! Most people don't care about race any ways if you are a nice person. Btw what degree are you doing?

Angali

HSC
N/A
International and Global Studies. I'm sure you'll meet plenty of people in your degree. Don't stress too much about it. Everyone is new at university and is looking to make so friends or at least acquaintances.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC

Trust me, I'm closer geographically to those countries you mentioned and celebrate Ramadan ;)

trist117

HSC
Camden, Picton, Oran Park - a.k.a the rural-ish areas of south-western sydney

Wollongong is also very white. I had a teacher from Kiama who had never heard of Ramadan/Eid/fasting
How about you actually go to Camden, and then comment.

There are just as many blacks as there are whites in Camden.

Camden is not rural it is very urban. Go to the middle of South Australia if you want rural.

I went to a school in Camden, and there were actually only 2 whites in my class, and the rest SE Asian and Indians.

You are obviously just a sheltered North Shore rich snob who doesn't know what it's like outside of Mosman.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
How about you actually go to Camden, and then comment.

There are just as many blacks as there are whites in Camden.

Camden is not rural it is very urban. Go to the middle of South Australia if you want rural.

I went to a school in Camden, and there were actually only 2 whites in my class, and the rest SE Asian and Indians.

You are obviously just a sheltered North Shore rich snob who doesn't know what it's like outside of Mosman.
Brah. Don't attack someone just cause they have a different opinion/experience to you.

milkytea99

HSC
It really depends on your degree. Like Commerce has soooo many Asians even in USYD lol. At first I thought it's only UNSW which is saturated with Asians esp in Commerce, but USYD commerce also has a lot of Asians, esp in accounting. It really feels like going to Uni in China instead of Sydney haha.

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
LOL I lived in Lurnea for the past 10 years (and currently live in a suburb of Campbelltown) and have many friends in Camden and so I frequently visit there.

Sorry I don't have the same experience as you, no need to attack me.

FYI I don't even know wtf Mosman is so gg to you.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
It really depends on your degree. Like Commerce has soooo many Asians even in USYD lol. At first I thought it's only UNSW which is saturated with Asians esp in Commerce, but USYD commerce also has a lot of Asians, esp in accounting. It really feels like going to Uni in China instead of Sydney haha.
I think in terms of ratio, USYD has a greater fob population compared to UNSW

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)