• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Euro vs Civic Sports (1 Viewer)

Shintzu

free photo anyone?
HSC
Which would you prefer between these two cars?
Accord Euro base model or the Civic Sports? and why?
both are around 30k atm and im considering which one to buy.

i like the civic for its luxury and looks. the sports model also provide curtain airbags and a few more punch than the 1.8L models. love the leather and sunroof.

the accord has a bit more power and i expect a bigger car would also be more sturdy and comfortable.

so what's your take?

EDIT: chuck in the SP23 hatch as well =P

Last edited:

want2beSMART

Artificial Happiness c[x
HSC
i'd prefer the euro. sorry but i'm quite against the new civic looks and the euro is much faster down the straight with the 2.4l

lengy

HSC
I'd prefer the Accord Euro, and I'd prefer the SP23 over both of them.

CieL

HSC
My current ride is the (base) Euro, and we're going to get the new Civic Vti-L within a months time or so..

Driven both cars, and maybe because I'm so accustomed to the Euro but I do think that it is a better drive.

I think I did a little summary of my test drives in another thread in this forum (It's by seremify007 called The New Civic or something like that).. especially on how the Civic compares to the Euro, however, it was not the 2.0L Sports version and I can't give you any feedback on performance..

Sturdiness.. Euro has it a bit more.. they made the suspension stiffer in the two newer gens..

Comfort.. Civic aint bad for comfort.. until you have more than two people.. It has huge legroom and enough on the sides for you to spill over.. but once someone's behind you you kinda feel their knees..

SP23? I'm not sure about performance-wise, but the design of the whole car just turned me off even trying it.. Just getting in, I hit my head, knee and arm.. I think I'm just too used to flopping into cars =] .. But Mazda aint that great on quality.. shitty plastic.. And even the SP23 comes in high and low class.. but I rkn it's just too expensive for what you get..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Unlike Euro Sport, the Civic Sport is actually quite different to the normal Civic. IMO, if you like the Civic, then the Civic Sport makes a good thing even better- the engine is a bit better but is by no means a performance car (2.0L engine with paddle shifting is nice but IMO, at 5k on the odo, it doesn't actually feel that much better than a run-in 1.8L).. the other added benefits like sunroof, leather, etc... are nice.

On the other hand, the Euro Sport is a much bigger car and IMO, it's totally different to the Civic. Maybe I'm wrong but IIRC the Euro Sport is pretty much the same as a normal Euro but with a few sporty-look items- can't check website to verify what's actually different.

Back to the topic at hand though- go with the car you would've gone with normally. If you were originally interested in Civic, go for Civic Sport. Same applies for the Euro.

Shintzu

free photo anyone?
HSC
thanks for the comments guys.

ive only driven the base civic in the past, but my friend who owns a base model civic and the base euro said that the euro is much more responsive.

i also read that somewhere in your civic thread that the euro was like 10kg/kw and the civic was 11kg/kw. can such 1kg/kw account for that much of a difference?

i really like the ease of using the electric steering in the civic, but it doesnt seem very reliable.... lol compared to hydralic power steering. but yeah, im not too keen on too much electrical stuff in a car.

CieL: i used to really hate the mazda 3 design for its front with its four-horizontal-bar grill, but ive gotten to like it now lol. i really like the styling of the sp23. the interior is not bad either. are mazda's build quality really that bad? lol because ive never driven one before. and im not that big (only 5 feet 7") hahha so leg room isnt that much of an issue!

thanks guys!

CieL

HSC
Shintzu said:
thanks for the comments guys.

ive only driven the base civic in the past, but my friend who owns a base model civic and the base euro said that the euro is much more responsive.

i also read that somewhere in your civic thread that the euro was like 10kg/kw and the civic was 11kg/kw. can such 1kg/kw account for that much of a difference?

i really like the ease of using the electric steering in the civic, but it doesnt seem very reliable.... lol compared to hydralic power steering. but yeah, im not too keen on too much electrical stuff in a car.

CieL: i used to really hate the mazda 3 design for its front with its four-horizontal-bar grill, but ive gotten to like it now lol. i really like the styling of the sp23. the interior is not bad either. are mazda's build quality really that bad? lol because ive never driven one before. and im not that big (only 5 feet 7") hahha so leg room isnt that much of an issue!

thanks guys!
I've always had the feeling that smaller engines are more responsive when you initially step on it.. responsive as in, loud noise, go until 20kmh, then yer you get the drift..

But with the Euro, you start feeling the pull of the car even at 2000rpm (whereas in the Civic you might need to go to 3500 for it to not feel sluggish).. I know that the Euro's first gear can get you to around 7200rpm (even tho the redline's really at 7000) and you'll be going at least 80kmh according to the speedo which is optimistic.. I like the torque in this car (for its engine capacity), can keep up with a v8 from standstill............. until 70kmh max ahahhaha and then the v8 kills you

As for the power to weight ratio.. 1kg doesn't really do anything.. unless you're fat

In contrast I hate the steering of the new Civic.. that was the one thing I couldnt hack.. I think I compared it to driving the crappy Daytona machines on George St, cos it was just felt so loose and "not in control"..

Hm.. I'm 5'7 too, but legroom is an issue for me, cos being a girl, we're mostly made up of leg =]

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think Mazda's build quality has dipped alot, or it's just not as impressive as it used to be.

Regardless though, if you like SP23's design and the specs meet your needs- maybe that's the car to go for?

CieL

HSC
The Euro you can get straight away.

You might have to wait for the Civic... We bought ours like.. 2-3 months ago and we're still waiting for it to come to Australia =[

CieL

HSC
Possibly it might get a facelift..

You know how they do all these specials n crap to get rid of old stock for new stock to come.. I think they're doing that now..

But nooooooooooo.. I hate it when my car feels old =.= unless the newer one looks gay then I dont mind X]

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
a euro is not 30k, by the time it gets on road its close to 40k for base

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I remember when I looked at the Euro, the dealer also said it's around $38k automatic onroad... but then, maybe it's come down since then?

Jiga

Around $30k..... just get a used Integra Type S or whatever they are called, would have around 40,000kms on it which isnt much really..... but would go harder then a Euro or Civic and also wins in style (Esp in black)

CieL

HSC
Those two doors are impractical...

I'm pretty sure they're legally only allowed to carry 4 people, inc driver.. cos my aunt had an Acura RSX

The back seats are pretty much useless. No legroom and my head kept hitting the pillars..

But if you're not looking to carry anyone other than yourself........... then it's a different story =]

Oh yeah, they go alright too.. still goes with a carload full of people

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)