Euthanasia for Life Prisoners (1 Viewer)

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Shit no.

I would rather these creatures sit in a cell with all liberties and freedom taken from them for the rest of their natural lives, rather than allow them the dignity of quick death that probably eluded their victims. I.e. Martin Bryant.

louy

HSC
N/A
Do not give those with Life Sentence the choice.

Why should they be given the option how they should live or die. I am sure their victims never had a choice.

I support the belief they should be given what they least want as a form of punishment.

asdfpoiu

HSC
hermand said:
i'm not sure about this. i don't really care too much, what someone decides to do with their life is up to them. however, if i was family of one of the people who'd been killed by the prisoner, i'd want them to suffer for as long as possible. yeah that might be vindictive, but they would have deprived a loved one of life, and that's unforgivable in my view. i have no empathy whatsoever for anyone who's murdered another in cold blood.
How is death not a sufficient punishment? Should we be torturing prisoners as well?

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
How is death not a sufficient punishment? Should we be torturing prisoners as well?
how can we be sure if it's sufficient punishment? have you died? i think not. how do we know that what comes after isn't paradise? where all the people who have done things in the name of allah are rewarded? great, so just cause someone's a muslim and blown up a few hundred people, they get to live in eternal bliss. [this is just one such example by the way] let them live and suffer.

i agree with louy [above].

lolokay

HSC
pretty sure that the death penalty costs america more than to imprison someone for forty plus years
wow

but i presume that the euthanasia of someone already convicted would be a much cheaper process

lychnobity

HSC
pretty sure that the death penalty costs america more than to imprison someone for forty plus years, i'll get a source, i just can't remember where i read it.
In Australia, it costs $55,000 to keep someone in prison per year (i'm assuming it'd be similar in America)

For a 40 year prison sentence, it'll cost $2,200,000

On the other hand, it would cost much less I presume to kill someone.

But, I think it'd be better to let them die, if it's life imprisonent, I wouldn't want to live such a miserable existence.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
In Australia, it costs $55,000 to keep someone in prison per year (i'm assuming it'd be similar in America)

For a 40 year prison sentence, it'll cost $2,200,000

On the other hand, it would cost much less I presume to kill someone.

But, I think it'd be better to let them die, if it's life imprisonent, I wouldn't want to live such a miserable existence.
http://www.jodipicoult.com/change-of-heart.html said:
in Texas, for example, it costs three times more to execute a man than it does to imprison him for forty years, mostly due to the judicial appeal process.
i'm assuming that this is valid.

i know that we're not talking about the death penalty, as euthanasia is an entirely different issue, but i'd assume that to go through all the legal channels it would be similar. most probably cheaper, but still. if they want to die, they can go and off themselves.

HSC
No, because they should have to suffer the consequences of their actions.
However, it is costly to us (the tax payers) to keep them in prison..

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
How do they suffer? I mean apart from the occasional inmate who is given a hiding? I don't quite understand how an individual who has commited a serious crime and as a result, is now imprisoned for life suffers? Apart from losing their freedom one has it pretty easy going in prison. Firstly, they have little responsibility. Secondly, everything is done for them - they all pitch in, some may not, but their meals are paid for, their bedding is paid for, lighting, electricity, fucking smokes are available, as well as drugs.

Napstar

Banned
HSC
And they get paid whilst in jail. They get a motherfucking allowance so they can buy shit. It's an epic waste of money right, keeping this scum in jail. But I cannot agree to any form of humane euthanasia for people like
Martin Bryant
The Anita Cobby Killers
The Janine Balding killers
The bega schoolgirl killers

Given that none of their victims were afforded the same dignity in their deaths.

spence

HSC
i'm assuming that this is valid.

i know that we're not talking about the death penalty, as euthanasia is an entirely different issue, but i'd assume that to go through all the legal channels it would be similar. most probably cheaper, but still. if they want to die, they can go and off themselves.
I'm sure euthanasia would be much cheaper, as what you quoted says it's mainly due to the appeals process. If people choose euthanasia, they're probably not going to be appealing it

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
I'm sure euthanasia would be much cheaper, as what you quoted says it's mainly due to the appeals process. If people choose euthanasia, they're probably not going to be appealing it
well, yeah, that's what i said. euthanasia would probably be cheaper. but the legal channels, paperwork, psych analysis and such would contribute a fair amount.

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
And they get paid whilst in jail. They get a motherfucking allowance so they can buy shit. It's an epic waste of money right, keeping this scum in jail. But I cannot agree to any form of humane euthanasia for people like
Martin Bryant
The Anita Cobby Killers
The Janine Balding killers
The bega schoolgirl killers

Given that none of their victims were afforded the same dignity in their deaths.
in my english paper one today, one of the belonging reading tasks was about martin bryant. it was creepy.

Garygaz

HSC
As if you wouldn't let them die. Some of them are getting ass-raped in jail everyday, costing us millions of dollars each for their hospitality and YOU are paying for it. I don't want my money keeping a child rapist in jail if he'd rather kill himself. No thank you.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
As if you wouldn't let them die. Some of them are getting ass-raped in jail everyday, costing us millions of dollars each for their hospitality and YOU are paying for it. I don't want my money keeping a child rapist in jail if he'd rather kill himself. No thank you.
+ repp'd

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The modern western prison system is designed as an institution, primarily for reforming and rehabilitating prisoners. Where individuals are guilty of crimes too abhorrent to ever be released, they are kept in a safe and humane environment.

Beyond the deprivation of liberty, which is the intention of prisons (and you may argue prisoners are afforded too much or too little liberty), it is policy to treat prisoners in a dignified manner, and that they are entitled to the same rights and protections as individuals in free society.

We've long abandoned torture as dehumanising and uncivilised. It's simply barbaric.

Allowing revenge or malice to dictate policy is unconscionable. Keeping people alive with the sole intention of seeing them suffer, is as morally disgusting as if we were to flay them alive imo.

Policy should be formulated with kindness and sympathy towards the unfortunate, sick individuals who commit terrible crimes. If allowing them to end their lives is the most humane option, it should be done.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
The modern western prison system is designed as an institution, primarily for reforming and rehabilitating prisoners. Where individuals are guilty of crimes too abhorrent to ever be released, they are kept in a safe and humane environment.

Beyond the deprivation of liberty, which is the intention of prisons (and you may argue prisoners are afforded too much or too little liberty), it is policy to treat prisoners in a dignified manner, and that they are entitled to the same rights and protections as individuals in free society.

We've long abandoned torture as dehumanising and uncivilised. It's simply barbaric.

Allowing revenge or malice to dictate policy is unconscionable. Keeping people alive with the sole intention of seeing them suffer, is as morally disgusting as if we were to flay them alive imo.

Policy should be formulated with kindness and sympathy towards the unfortunate, sick individuals who commit terrible crimes. If allowing them to end their lives is the most humane option, it should be done.
Such eloquence...

This post should end the thread.

spyro14

HSC

You just swayed my opinion from middle ground to a clear cut yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)