Event Cinemas or Maccas? (1 Viewer)

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been job hunting recently and I've landed my job in maccas. However, it's around a 40 minute train ride to the city and it's extremely busy with mediocre facilities. It's not that i'm not up for it, but everytime I get off the train I get tired. I've been hired, but I only done orientation a few days ago and I haven't been given any shifts or anything.

Now, my local cinema (~2 minutes walk from where I live) has started hiring. My mom really wants me to quit when I can and work there since it's a) safer b) closer to home. I'm inclining to go with that, but I feel weird for quitting a job I haven't started yet, AND I haven't even given in my resume. They did ask for job experience - I have non 'working' but I have pretty good volunteering experience with the skills needed.

So I think it comes down to the pay and people. What would be more rewarding? What are the pay differences? I'm 16 btw

Frostbitten

HSC
Could you be more specific on what you mean by "safer"?

spatula232

HSC
I have a mates that work at both event and Maccas. The one that works at event id say enjoys it more than those that work at Maccas. If I were you, apply at Event now whilst at maccas cause event only hire a few people (my mate went in and there were piles of resumes and only a few jobs available). Honestly, if i were you, apply for event and if they accept you quit maccas. It'll be more rewarding. btw the pay at maccas goes up every year older you get, but my mate there has been getting less shifts there since he turned 16 so yeah. imo event would be a much more rewarding job option at event. But dont quit maccas before you know you definitely have a job at event. If you want i can try and find out the pay that my mates get (just lemme know and ill ask), but im sure there are ppl on this forum that will know for themselves. although if the pay is slightly different, id probs go with event for the reasons u said. so yeah, lemme no if u want me to ask but id apply for event, but dont quit maccas until u definitely get a job at even. Hope this helps :)

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
If I was in your shoes I would rather work at event

1. You should take travel time into consideration
2. The cost of travelling
3. Closer to home means, if you get called into work you can get their quicker! (More money muhaha)

jnney

lemon
HSC
McDonalds would be a great place for you to grow and work with great people, especially if you have very enthusiastic and motivated managers. Of course that can vary from store to store.

I suggest waiting until you've had a few shifts at McDonalds before you decide whether you think it's worth it, all whilst applying for a position at the cinemas. You get paid around $13/hr as a 16 year old. Which city store is it?

What Spatula 232 said about getting very few shifts at 16 will not apply to you, because the restaurants in the city need many employees due to long opening hours and having a tremendous number of customers (especially between 8-9am, 12-2pm, and 5-8pm) haha.

Any who, best of luck! :)

Last edited:

captainpigs

Tutor and Note Seller
HSC
Uni Grad
EVENT CINEMAS- more pay plus easier

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Event cinemas ... You get paid for standing there lol. (The line won't be that long anyway.)

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
It's safer because I have applied for late-ish (4-11pm) shifts at Maccas on the weekends, at circular quay, and my mother doesn't really want me to work that long from that far. I'm working (haven't started yet) at gateway at peak hours. not really looking forward to that, but I'll hopefully manage.

@ spatula232
It'll be great if you asked! Thanks!

Ok, i've decided to apply for event! If I get in how do I break the news to maccas? I don't want to seem like a wishy washy person because I was pretty eager to get the experience. I probably would stay at maccas for a few shifts just to see while applying for event.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
McDonalds would be a great place for you to grow and work with great people, especially if you have very enthusiastic and motivated managers. Of course that can vary from store to store.
This. It may not pay as well nor leave you feeling that satisfied in the short run, but it's recognised as a great training ground by other employers especially if you last long enough to not only handle responsibility, but also gain from the formal training/development programs and the other skills you get working there e.g. coaching/training/managing staff, dealing with difficult customers, etc.

That being said, if all you want is more bucks for less work in the short term, Event is probably a better option if you can land a job there but at least from my time, it's always been competitive because of the sheer awesomeness of the job/pay.

DinoDinosaur

HSC
In regards to quitting the Maccas job, you should stay until your absolutely sure that you've got the Event job. I think the general rule for quitting is at least two weeks notice and probably just explain that the travel time is cutting into your study time or whatever, its best to leave a good impression on them as you can use them as a referee for future jobs. Good luck :) !!!

Chocolatebubble

HSC
Uni Grad
This. It may not pay as well nor leave you feeling that satisfied in the short run, but it's recognised as a great training ground by other employers especially if you last long enough to not only handle responsibility, but also gain from the formal training/development programs and the other skills you get working there e.g. coaching/training/managing staff, dealing with difficult customers, etc.

That being said, if all you want is more bucks for less work in the short term, Event is probably a better option if you can land a job there but at least from my time, it's always been competitive because of the sheer awesomeness of the job/pay.
I'm working to save money for my gap-year exchange. If I get into event, i'll quit maccas. If I don't get in, it'll be no loss.

Also I only got the job a few days ago. I'd be working for maybe 2-3 weeks for event to notify me of anything. Would it be ok to quit even if I did 3 weeks worth of work? I did tell them that I wanted to work for as long as possible (I do!)

Thanks for all the comments!

spatula232

HSC
$9 something for maccas (16 yr olds) - event not sure (mate wasnt at school): Probs over 10 i think but im not sure

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to quitting the Maccas job, you should stay until your absolutely sure that you've got the Event job. I think the general rule for quitting is at least two weeks notice and probably just explain that the travel time is cutting into your study time or whatever, its best to leave a good impression on them as you can use them as a referee for future jobs. Good luck :) !!!
Depends on what your shifts/etc are like at Maccas. If they're just ad hoc anyway, doesn't hurt to stay on the casual list.

Ajaxx

HSC
N/A
I used to work at Hoyts which I'd assume would be similar pay to Event. Wasn't that great, was only around $15 an hour for an 18 year old if I remember correctly.

Still the actual work itself wasn't too bad and was pretty chill during the day (weekends / release of new blockbusters could get pretty busy though).

Overall, if I was in your position I would definitely try to get into Event. Seems much more convenient (time wise) than Macca's

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Pay is almost the same at Event as Mcdonalds. I had a friend who was working at Events Cinema and he got paid 30 cents less then when we were both 16, I get paid around $13.80 now that I'm 17 at Mcdonalds(as a casual). You should think about whether Events or Maccas will give enough shifts for you as well and whether the respective places see you as very casual or trained to be a regular.

the_one_1

HSC
macca's is the best place to start any job.............

Steals meat patty :p lol

jellical_cats

HSC
Event, my friend works there and she also gets discounts on movie tickets lol. Saving more money in the long run haha

kewon

HSC
yeah event cinemas definitely. I use to get a free movie every week and you can bring a friend. Only "fee" involved is optional $2 which they donate to charity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)