Ever wondered if want to drop 4U? (1 Viewer)

frostysnow

HSC
Just wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Here are my thoughts

why should i do 4U?
1. I'm supposedly good at math, and the teacher told me to
2. i feel like i'm missing out on like the last chapter of a book
3. I do enjoy the challenge, until it swamps me.
4. so far coming 3rd-ish in 25 people after 1 assessment.

Why don't want to continue 4U?
1. well 4U is beyond hard.
2. I don't do tutoring, and everytime we learn something new i'm way behind everyone else
3. i scored 100 for the first time in my life in a 2U assessment which means i'm coming equal 1st in my school (selective), and it's not gonna count if i do 4U. and i seriously doubt i can ever get 100 in 4U even with whatever scaling.
4. I have 12 units, only 10 counts, and i'm not all that great at 3U either
5. takes way more time than any other 2unit subjects. but then again i don't spend much time on most of my subjects

so any ideas on what i should do?
and anyone else sitting on the fence too?

ideas:
1. drop now
2. keep it
3. keep it till before the hsc and drop
4. try harder TT_TT

Last edited:

vds700

HSC
i did have my doubts about it but then I decided to keep going with it, although i'm not that brilliant at maths, i enjoy the challenge of it.

I see you're aimimg for 99, well if u do well in 4u, u will be more likely to get that mark. I know that most people at my school in the past who have got high 90's generally do 4u maths.

To do well at 4u, you just need to do shitloads of work, Q's from textbook, past papers etc

yeeshu

HSC
4u makes maths pretty depressing...actually its jus the dam conics...that crap is retarted...so repetitive and boring...but keep it...scales quite nicely:ninja:

frostysnow

HSC
yeeshu said:
4u makes maths pretty depressing...actually its jus the dam conics...that crap is retarted...so repetitive and boring...but keep it...scales quite nicely:ninja:
haha yep, it was pretty easy sailing until they started on all the proofs of those properties. they're my worst nightmare. And we're tested on that in the upcoming 0.5yearly next week TT_TT

The other thing is the scaling. i don't think i can get as good as i would in 2U even with the scaling

frostysnow

HSC
vds700 said:
i did have my doubts about it but then I decided to keep going with it, although i'm not that brilliant at maths, i enjoy the challenge of it.

I see you're aimimg for 99, well if u do well in 4u, u will be more likely to get that mark. I know that most people at my school in the past who have got high 90's generally do 4u maths.

To do well at 4u, you just need to do shitloads of work, Q's from textbook, past papers etc
yeah that pretty much sum everything up. 'cept for the challenge part goes overboard most of the time. i'm more like stuck.

does anyone know exactly how they scale 4U?
e.g. if i get 80 raw score would it be after scaling.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
A mark of 50 will only efffect your UAI by 1-2 MAX as opposed to a mark of 80 in 4Unit (asssuming all your other results are the same).

If you really want to do 2unt, you should be able to get 90+ for your HSC mark.

nottellingu

HSC
If your finding 4u diificult and your crusing along in 2u maybe u should consider dropping which will give u extra time for your other subjects. Just wait till ur half yearly exam and make a decision from there. Remember that 4u requires dedication, hardwork and "MotivatioN".

nottellingu

HSC
vds700 said:
It is still very possible to get 99 with 3u maths. Doing well in 4u will mean nothing unless u back it up with your other subjects as well. I know a guy that did 4u, physics and chem got 70 Uai

doink

Clone
HSC
4U maths gets harder as it goes on, the school assessments are about 1/3 of difficulty of the hsc exam, id say the hardest topics are 'complex numbers' (yeh vectors suck) 'harder 3u' (some questions aren't even worth attempting, re: q8 of 2007 paper) and mechanics has the potential to be really difficult.

What you learn in class and the questions in the book are nothing like the questions in the paper, on the up side doing 4u maths makes you much better @ 3u and 2u, so if i were you i would keep it until the trials then drop it since it forces you to work harder and u will end up getting 2u and 3u marks which is always good.

wen11

HSC
i heard if u do 4U math, u'll get band 6 for ur 2u
will that band 6 be included in ur 10 best unit for the UAI?

HSC
no if you do four unit maths your three and four unit marks will count for two units each and two unit won't count at all.

xionethic

HSC
Your UAI is based on scaling, you cannot say that just because someone has done 4unit it gets them this mark. It depends on a lot of factors you need to play with. Not to mention your schools contribution, its standing and your standing in the course. If you are generally the one that does better in your grade, 4unit would be a good idea especially if you are in the top 5 of your class for 2-3 unit. I do 4unit, for me i would not drop it, since i have 11units and dropping to ten would be... well fatal.

Not everybody who apply themselves to 4unit gets a high UAI, but generally, and i'm saying generally. People who do it can achieve that mark easier because they are capable. That is why you are a 4unit candidate, because you are capable of doing it. If you cannot handle it however, you should drop it... because if you think 4unit is BEYOND hard (which it isn't, it's actually like learning 3unit for the first time) then you should drop the subject, if you have sufficient units. If you have 12 units (incl 4unit) you would drop to 11.

Time and Load- you will be spending majority of your time doing maths. EVERYDAY a few hours of maths, you cannot ever stop doing maths for the sake of it. SO LIKE THE SUBJECT.

Think about this: do you have sufficient time to contribute to all your other subjects? prioritise. Personally i do not have a tutor... and i'm behind but i get the work just as everyone else in my class who has tutor.
Remember there is no NEED for a tutor... as long as you strive to apply yourself, why pay for another lesson when you spend 6 hrs at school a day and you have teachers as resources. If its the explanation you don't get, ask your peers, you learn more from them.

What i say to myself is, i like doing all my subjects atleast aspects of it, so i get my catalyst from there. To me this helps a lot.

xionethic

HSC
wen11 said:
i heard if u do 4U math, u'll get band 6 for ur 2u
will that band 6 be included in ur 10 best unit for the UAI?
lol it's usually default 100 because your in 4unit :), its assumed your band 6 but it doesn't count. 3unit = (2units for HSC), 4unit = (2units for HSC) = 4units for HSC

xionethic

HSC
I forgot to mention, if in your class you are top in ur 4unit, 3unit or close, but your not doing that well, then you can go for it... because i think (not sure about this one) if you are rank 1, and you sit the test and you also come in rank 1, its possible ur scaling would be good for your HSC. Don't take my word on that one but. I just remember hearing something similar to that somewhere. Its more re-assuring if u strive for bands... not ranking though.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I was aware of the fact that 3-units and 4-units counts as 2 unit each if you are doing 4 units of Mathematics. But what happens if you are accelerated?

I am doing HSC (as year 11) 2-units and 3-units this year. If I keep my 2-units mark this year and choose to do 3-units and 4-units maths next year, what are they counted as? Are they counted as 1-unit or what?

And could anyone tell me what's gonna happen if I keep both my 2-units and 3-units next year. Does 4-unit count as 2 units? I don't think so but could anyone tell me please?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Your 2/3unit should count regardless, but if you choose 4unit next year, 2unit automatically does not count, and thus the 3unit and 4unit each counts as 2unit.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
tommykins said:
Your 2/3unit should count regardless, but if you choose 4unit next year, 2unit automatically does not count, and thus the 3unit and 4unit each counts as 2unit.
So, what you are saying is that my 2 unit does not count even if I choose to keep it this year. That doesn't sound right.

Then, what's the point of acceleration if I can't take advantage of it? I am a bit confused.

P

pLuvia

If you decide to keep 4u maths, and do the hsc exam, then your 2u maths won't count at all, unless you drop out of 4u maths before you do the HSC exam. So if you do shit in 4u this year, bad luck , you'll have to do it again to get a better mark, but usually those who accelerate don't do bad

If you accelerate that means you are capable of doing harder level subjects at an earlier time. If you want to take "advantage" of the acceleration then don't do 4u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)