Exam Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Tim035

HSC
I took a stab and said it was nutritional, because in the question I highlighted that it said "non infectious diseases can be classified as one of three different types". So I kind of opened the question by saying, Lactose intolerance is an example of a nutritional non infectious disease.

simplistic

nice as ice
HSC
yay its all over bipo was evil
nice but evil
m choice was easy
but there were some 4 mark ones which were hazy
esp that lactose intolerant ques
genetice options was nice loved the 7 marsk one
hope to get good

bmc

HSC
i didnt like the 7 marker in genetics. it was too vague i thought. i piled down a heap of crap from like every dot point in the syllabus for that :p. The plant experiment was just stupid. overall i thought the questions were a bit vague but it was certainly a bearable paper

sarakolahdouzan

HSC
for the goldfish question i said it culd be result of a recessive gene or codominance... is that wrong.. i think it is! ahh im killing myself over it, i seriousli blanked out.. ahh..

also for the epidiemiology question.. wot did everyone write? i made a study to determine whether the disease was caused environmental by finding out the locations of where the people lived.. questions about their nutrition to determine whether its caused by wot they eat... and questions on their family history to find out whether it was heredital.. dus anyine now if i did this rite? i had noo idea.. i hate these epidimeology questions.. and for the 8 mark question, i just said it linked with kochs postulates therefore their conclusion is valid since it all indicates that the ulcers were caused by a pathogen.. mmm... but other than those questions it was alrite.. think i culd of done better wit a bit more studying.. but owellz...

sleepitigeress

HSC
HEYSSSSS...bio was good. some questions were stupid, but thats expected with all exams.
THIS time, we were given the full time...so no one got grumpy (HAHAha... nicola). I wrote a fair bit in the communication section, and multiple choice...how EASY!!!!!!!!!!
Some people EXPECTED to get 99.9's for uai's (not mentioning any nicola duncans in the forum)...and im hoping she gets that coz shes a bio brain!

Last edited:

simonhorowitz

HSC
i would like to see an entire population(99%) with a nutritional defficiency, i just stated that comparison of a two countries allowing for analysis of differences in the environments would eventually identify the causative factor.

the goldfish question was the hardest of them all- i ended up saying that it was a form of divergent evolution where the fish may have been subjected to different environments i.e. different p.h. which cause a slight difference in appearence

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Tim035 said:
I took a stab and said it was nutritional, because in the question I highlighted that it said "non infectious diseases can be classified as one of three different types". So I kind of opened the question by saying, Lactose intolerance is an example of a nutritional non infectious disease.
I would have put down lactose intolerance down as a genetic non-infectious disease.

I think nutritional non-infectious diseases are diseases where you don't get enough of a particular essential element, like vitamins. In lactose intolerance, these individuals do not produce enzymes neccessary for the breakdown of lactose, due to inherited, genetic defects.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
pretty sure the goldfish one just wanted you to list the causes of variation in a population. i just described random segregation and crossing over. the parents also could have been heterozygous dominant, but not enough space to explain that.

DeathB4Life

Bánned
HSC
for the epidemiology question i just said compare the two pops with high levels of the disease with the two pops with the low levels of the disease and find out what the differences are in their lifestyles. since it specifically said that two of the populations were from nigeria i just added that you could exclude factors which they both had in common such as weather (i would have added more, but you never know how different two different places in the same country could be, so i just stopped at weather)

for the 8 mark question i just pretty much explained kochs postulates and said that they followed it to determine if the bacterium caused the disease. not too sure if i "assessed" it, i was thinking of adding another paragraph but i was already at the end of the sheet.

genome project i think i stuffed up a bit. i had no idea gene expression refered to the homologous genes, gene cascades, gene activation. i had the info all in my head but when i read the question i just didnt think to write about those. instead i just wrote about how genes are transcribed and translated which produce amino acids and proteins and eventually all that is expressed as a phenotype. fairly sure i lost a few marks on that question.

the 7 mark question was too vague, i wasnt too sure what i was meant to write about so i just regurgitated my textbook onto the paper and even added some stuff from other topics. im sure i lost a few more marks there.

the other 2 sections im sure i got close to full marks but the genome project just screwed me over. might be able to scrape a band 6, but i was hoping for a mid-high band 6.

Great1

HSC
The gold fish i wrote was so-domiance, and it was heterozgous or homozyougs dominat trait. IT was only 3 marks. It was not an 5 mark question.

Stupid thrush question. the only one i didnt have in my notes and they had to include it. ALso what did u put for ethical concern.

I put the ethical concern on evoultion,biodiversity and on the ecosystems

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
Did anyone write about anything else other than thrush for the microflora imbalance question?

Lori.

HSC
I was really happy with this exam, especially cause it was my last one =P
I was relieved that most of the questions that focussed on our prac work were so easy, because I hardly studied them, especially second-hand data ones.
I really liked the 8 marker, I talked about Koch's postulates, too, but I also mentioned that they repeated the experiment, because I remembered seeing in the news that they both ingested the bacterium. Now I'm not so sure if that was the case :/ they better not mark me down for that!

All in all, I think it was a fair exam, and I think I did quite well :)

Cade

HSC
i think the exam was fairly ok..except for a few weird questions..like the 1st hand investigation...totally crapped bout tat. then there's the 4M question on lactose intolerant thingy..wat the hell was tat bout :confused: and i did biotech as option..argh the 7marks question is kinda ambiguos..hope i can manage a band 5!!!!!!

and all my efforts of anticipating lotsa questions bout PCR, or protein synthesis, malaria, B cell and t cell didn't cum out...wasted . wth man

sarakolahdouzan

HSC
4DOGS said:
i wrote bout whopping cough,was that right?????????
i wrote about whooping cough too dont wori.. im sure its right. it says so in a text book, dont remember which one...

beentherdunthat

HSC
Great1 said:
The gold fish i wrote was so-domiance, and it was heterozgous or homozyougs dominat trait. IT was only 3 marks. It was not an 5 mark question.

Stupid thrush question. the only one i didnt have in my notes and they had to include it. ALso what did u put for ethical concern.

I put the ethical concern on evoultion,biodiversity and on the ecosystems

For the gold fish i first thought it was like changes in the pH of the water... but i finally realised it's the variability in the offspring
1) Random Fertilisation
2) Independ Assortment
3) Crossing oVer and Possibly 4) Mutations

and Ari89 i done thrush too, thats like the easiest

For the ethical Concern i said it provides possible health risks to humans ... and i gave this example where genetically modified sleepin pills in U.S.A ended up killin people before it was taken off the shelfs....

I think it was a fair test, the 8 mark question was orite... didn't like it much but answered all i could figure out of it ...

Did anyone miss out the other page of Genetics: The code broken? My friend did... she didn't see it, it's 7 marks.. damn .. do u guys think the bored of studies wont count it for her? she wrote a letter and my principal signed it.

sx4daboiz

HSC
N/A
It was too easy, especially the 8 marker. I have a feeling Bio wont scale very well this year :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)