exam? (1 Viewer)

fringey

HSC
Can some1 plz tell me how a drama essay differs from an english essay?

emily

as far as i know it's just that you can say 'i think' and 'i saw etc' to back up arguments.

eg "in a recent production of seven stages of grieving there were two large blocks of ice suspended above the stage, this can be seen to represent...etc"

basic structure is the same, main difference i guess would be that you aren't just talking about the plays as texts (word choice etc) but as actual pieces of theatre (mentioning dramatic forms and conventions etc)

hope that helped!

Lyndon

Drama

The main thing you have to remember when you are writing a drama exam is that drama is theatre. So write about the staging, performance of the actors, set, style and themes etc, with relation to your texts!! Don't forget to use heaps of quotes and relate with personal experience.

I hope this helps....

Blondie

They tend to like you relating the text to your own experience on the stage with it, like in class. if you say, "during a class workshop blah blah blah..." and then put in a quote, you should be fine.

But just a question, what exactly are we supposed to know? I mean, for every other subject you have a syllabus, but Drama doesn't have one specific syllabus outlining the points you need to know. There's a very scary similarity between it and English.

emily

i know, drama is really vague...

in so far as what to know then i am treating it a little like english - themes, characters etc, then just adding drama specifics in there too...

or at least i will when i start studying for it! there's so long between my exam before it and that thursday...

MindFunk

big words tend to do well.

Well, not just any old big words, the ones you see in the syllabus. I tend to go into drama exams and just address different parts of the plays, covering my personal experience with research and understanding of the text in it's own right.

The key is to compare different experiences of the text and you can easily get band 5's

Sassasas

always try to include elements of drama.... make STRONG reference to them throughout ur essay
and styalistic features.... ie if its theatre of the absurd make reference to human cruelity and the techniques they use like pause etc

MiSTZa

use the P.E.R method
Point (ie. dramatic forms & conventions)
Example
Relate back to the question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)