Exams - essay preparation (1 Viewer)

T

thegovernator

anybody write essays before hand and take these in as 'notes'?

ie answering past paper essay questions which appear frequently with subtle variations, and just apply them to the questions you get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Re: law exams

a friend does (she writes neatly enough for this). but i don't because my scrawl is dreadful to read while under pressure.

T

thegovernator

assume you know what style of question is going to be asked in a particular topic area, having an essay ready that you can adapt to the specific question could be pretty handy? still have notes though as backup

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A

but guessing the essay question (precisely or otherwise) is much much more difficult in law, as compared with, say, HSC English. The examiner could throw in a quote (from any case/article) and ask you to discuss that quote in light of the facts in the examination problem question (which again you cannot guess precisely).

circusmind

HSC

thegovernator said:
assume you know what style of question is going to be asked in a particular topic area, having an essay ready that you can adapt to the specific question could be pretty handy? still have notes though as backup

Surely it would be far better to just have notes in any case? Unless you luck out and guess the essay question, you're going to have to twist the essay. It's much easier to construct a good argument from notes than it is by changing an ill-suited essay to fit the question.

T

thegovernator

how do you all rate writing practice essays based on previous exam questions as a mode of learning/preparation?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
I must confess, only very rarely do we have essay questions in our sit-down law exams. The only one that I can think of was a policy question in Crim 1.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
MoonlightSonata said:
I must confess, only very rarely do we have essay questions in our sit-down law exams. The only one that I can think of was a policy question in Crim 1.
Yea this is a good point, the main reason for this (I think) is that such things are best handled as research assignments.

T

thegovernator

this subject will have a number of essay style questions judging by exams past

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)