• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Excel books (1 Viewer)

Rahul

Dead Member
Originally posted by lee^ar
ext 1 maths
standard english
legal studies
business studies
software design and development
catholic studies
ext 1 maths: recommended, but depends on what other books you have/will have.
standard english: not sure, but if its anything like the advanced one, then you should not buy it. much better to purchase the individual study guides.
legal studies: not sure.
business studies: not sure.
software design and development: probably the most helpful out of your subjects, as far as i know. quite helpful.
catholic studies: not sure, there isnt one specifically for catholic studies i believe. if you can find out whether it has similarities with SOR, which i doubt, then you might want to buy it.

hope that helps

Last edited:

kow_dude

HSC
I want to buy Excel HSC books, but are they out of date now? Has the syllabus changed ?

Rahul

Dead Member
what subjects are you talking about?

most of them aren't out of date at all. if anything, they will contain parts of the old syllabus that has been taken out.

kow_dude

HSC
"take stuff out" ... so does that mean the syllabus is getting shorter every year ?

Rahul

Dead Member
not necessarily, rather the focus is shifted with more emphasis on some sections by using the verbs, discuss rather than identify, etc.

best example i can think of is physics, where a lot of mathematical stuff got taken out and emphasis was placed on the 'theoretical' side.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by Rahul
i have the religion one, but i am not really going depend on that alone:p

edit/ the "in a month" text for religion
the other religion is crap

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by kow_dude
Is the chemistry HSC Excel book good ? Because i'm planning to get one ~
i don't particularly like the big chem one. too much detail in some areas, not enough in others.

kow_dude

HSC
the english Excel books are outdated ~
they still have the area of study: "change"
which should now be "journey"

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Would that mean all the notes on change become useless now because of this new area of study ?

J0n

N/A
HSC
Originally posted by kow_dude
I want to buy Excel HSC books, but are they out of date now? Has the syllabus changed ?
I got my prelim chem this year, and on the cover, it says "Revised for 2003" - so i would expect that they are mostly up to date.

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
I only did IPT for prelim (coz I really suck at it but anyway). I used the excel for IPT and it was heaps good. It went really well with the text book we had at school.

It's hard to use excel ancient for prelim, coz not every school do the same topics in yr 11

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
my modern history teacher recommends the mod his excel book but i havent looked at it yet

lee^ar

Originally posted by Ragerunner
Would that mean all the notes on change become useless now because of this new area of study ?
nah .. the reason they decided to change the syllabus other then because they have to change it every 3 years, is becoz the theme "journey" seem to be more of an expanded area of "change". Meaning that some things from change overlapped onto journeys.

if you have notes for change i advise you keep them coz those notes can help you with the new theme "journey"

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
excel books are generally good (i highly recommend the 4u maths one). but use them as they were intended to be used; that is, as a study guide, not as a textbook.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I was told that with excel, you need to have a very good knowlegde of the subject before you use them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)