• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

exchange programs (1 Viewer)

ichig0

HSC
hey does anyone know other organisations that organise exchange programs and scholarships? i know AIIU does.. but anything else?

j-belle

suki :D
HSC
N/A
ichig0 said:
hey does anyone know other organisations that organise exchange programs and scholarships? i know AIIU does.. but anything else?
waaa!! just had to post cos of your cute username - is it meant to mean

- strawberry?
- (slang) a lightly-freckled rosy-cheeked japanese/korean girl?
- 15?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
「一五」は"fifteen"かなあ?それで。。。「十五」は何*?:p

Sorry I don't know much about third party exchange, most of my knowledge is based on intersinstitutional (ie school or university) deals. Is there a particular reason you're interested in the commercial option over the academic?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
I'm sure there are a lot of organisations that offer exchange programs. I went to Japan for 10 months with AFS on a corporate scholarship. There's also Rotary and EF and many more if you look it up on the web or ask around

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
Ask your school... they should be able to at least point you in the direction of places.

ichig0

HSC
j-belle said:
waaa!! just had to post cos of your cute username - is it meant to mean

- strawberry?
- (slang) a lightly-freckled rosy-cheeked japanese/korean girl?
- 15?
haha! it's meant to mean strawberry... ^^; whoa! it also means a lightly-freckled rosy-cheeked japanese/korean girl???!! ehHh!! well i just learnt something new today... hehehe! =P

"Is there a particular reason you're interested in the commercial option over the academic?"

yeh... i was planning on going to Japan to teach English part-time through NOVA after year 12... but it requires at least 2 years of working experience.. and unfortunately...i've had no luck with work... ^^; it also requires at least 1 year tertiary education which im trying to fill up now at TAFE doing Japanese cert. I,II and now III.. ^^ AS WELL AS JAPANESE AT SCHOOL~!! blah...
so as an alternative, i'd like to study in Japan for a year or so.. as long as im going to Japan after year 12 im happy.. haha!

Last edited:

ichig0

HSC
frodo said:
I'm sure there are a lot of organisations that offer exchange programs. I went to Japan for 10 months with AFS on a corporate scholarship. There's also Rotary and EF and many more if you look it up on the web or ask around
oOo!! yeah i want to do something like that ... how much was the scholarship? AIIU offers it for $3000... that's cheap yeh?
What school did you study in and what year? I've been offered a scholarship to study in Japan for this year or in year 12.. but i thought i should complete my HSC first and stablilize myself here first ...

btw.. how do you quote 2 quotes in 1 reply? haha.. ^^;

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
the scholarship was for 11 000 i think, it just covered getting there and schooling and a trip to nagasaki along with orientation and the host family plus support. I studied at Ijuin high school, in second year, so year 11

you could go over to japan to teach english in japanese schools with the ALT/JET program? i think it is. i think you need a university degree but they pay you, set you up and give you up to 3 years or something? there was a canadian woman there when i was there, it's popular because you can learn a language, travel, and pay off student loans.

oh and you don't need to know japanese to go as an ALT or have a teaching degree, all you basically do is help with pronounciation and read out english passages, as an exchange student i basically did her job without getting paid lol

ichig0

HSC
oooh mad! $11 000 did you say???? whoa... then i wonder what a $3000 scholarship will take me... =/
did you pick up a lot of Japanese while u over there?? do u study it in school in aust?

yeh...thats the same as NOVA... no Japanese required as you would only speak english in the classroom. yeh.. in NOVA you need a degree of some sort to get a full-time job there, if not at least 1 year tertiary education allows you a part-time job.. hehe! + i think i want to go for the experience rather than the month.. :eek:

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
Yeah i [icked up quite a bit of japanese, not as much as i could have or should have, which is regrettable but it helped get good marks in the HSC.
I did Japanese since year 3 but the kinds of stuff you learn is no help when you're actually over there, you can basically only have shallow conversations about the weather or hobbies.

i think the 3000 scholarship would be for a couple of months or a semester or something like that?

also you should look up on the net about NOVA because i've heard some bad things about it eg. the teaching methods and the support you get but i don't have much clue

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
because i went to a normal japanese school there was obviously a different curriculum. my teachers back here gave me the option of completing Year 11 assessment tasks while i was over there but it proved to be too much. I was allowed to go straight into Extension Japanese when I got back though, so I didn't have to go back and do Year 11 Japanese.

ichig0

HSC
ooicic... im planning to do extention japanese too! ^^... well the teacher's forcing me at least.. hehe
btw.. i was just wondering what ext. japanese would take u..in terms of your choice of UNI or TAFE courses or career..?

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i think extension would just place you higher than the average uni entrant who would be studying japanese for the first time. you'd probably be able to learn harder stuff and go further perhaps and be more desirable as an employee but i'm not sure, i'm still in year 12 too

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It would make you more desirable as an employee if you apply for a job during or soon after year 12 for which Japanese (or language in general) is relevant. However, after a year or two they care more about your tertiary studies (if applicable) and experience. Once you've been in uni/TAFE for a year they don't care about what you did in year 12.

wenwen

ichig0 said:
haha! it's meant to mean strawberry... ^^; whoa! it also means a lightly-freckled rosy-cheeked japanese/korean girl???!! ehHh!! well i just learnt something new today... hehehe! =P

"Is there a particular reason you're interested in the commercial option over the academic?"

yeh... i was planning on going to Japan to teach English part-time through NOVA after year 12... but it requires at least 2 years of working experience.. and unfortunately...i've had no luck with work... ^^; it also requires at least 1 year tertiary education which im trying to fill up now at TAFE doing Japanese cert. I,II and now III.. ^^ AS WELL AS JAPANESE AT SCHOOL~!! blah...
so as an alternative, i'd like to study in Japan for a year or so.. as long as im going to Japan after year 12 im happy.. haha!
to teach eng in jap?! wow~~~~~~~ kool!!!
^^ one of my friend's being offered some sort of opportunity like that by an organisation called LABO (i fink that's the spelling)
to tell the truth,me incredibly envy ne b^^
well...wish i could go over to jap for a holiday or as an exchange student...but the cost is a big problem :uhhuh: so....sigh....

ichig0

HSC
wenwen said:
well...wish i could go over to jap for a holiday or as an exchange student...but the cost is a big problem :uhhuh: so....sigh....
get a scholarship!! that's what i might get if i can't teach english in japan.. ^^ i've hosted japanese students through AIIU.. it's pretty good..they've got scholarships for $3000 for 10 months!

wenwen

ichig0 said:
get a scholarship!! that's what i might get if i can't teach english in japan.. ^^ i've hosted japanese students through AIIU.. it's pretty good..they've got scholarships for $3000 for 10 months!
oh? but i dunno how to and where to apply for scholarships ne....^^
and i can't host any students from jap...55555

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)