Expansion and Consolidation of the empire - Julio Claudians (1 Viewer)

Budweez

HSC
i was just doing some essay plans for possible questions in the test tomorrow and i realised i dont have notes on expansion and consolidation!?? somehow i managed to miss this despite its glaring obviousness in the syllabus..

so my question is: what is this dot point about? simply provincial policy and how it changed? i have some notes on that, but what about consolidation? im confused

help plz??

HSC
Expanding the empire is stuff like Claudius' invasion of Britain

Consolidation of the empire involves making it stronger e.g. Claudius dividing and annexing Africa to stop the rioting, Claudius putting a Roman nominee on the throne of Armenia, Tiberius limiting annexing of client-kingdoms and leaving the Germans north of the Rhine to their own internal disturbances.

Hope this helps.

Claire102

HSC
Hey im doing a paper on this issue.. could i get some help on these notes.. i get really confused in this topic and would really appreciate something to get me going..

navelj

HSC
Hi, i had to do an essay on the expansion and consolidation of the empire last term, what you need to understand is that expansion is usually an aggressive action (e.g. invading territory e.g. Claudius' invasion of Britain) while consolidation can be achieved both agressively (the invasion of Britain consolidated Gaul as it eliminated the druidic influence which had kept Gaul slightly rebellious) and it can also be achieved through peaceful means (e.g. Caligula and his client-kingdoms in the east, see Anthony Barett's book "Caligula: the corruption of power" p292). If you need more help i might post my essay, it got full marks (worth 20% of school assessment).

Hope this helps.

Claire102

HSC
Yeah that does. Thanks, I might call on you later if i get stuck.. ;o) Thanks!

Claire102

HSC
Could I possibly ask for you to post that essay? If you can.. Ta :)

airbag

HSC
yay first post :)

if you guys are using the antiquity 2 second edition text book have a look at pages 306-309 and 312-316

all incredibly relevant stuff

smurfygirl

HSC
N/A
princesskt said:
I use that book, but it doesn't have alot of info on the emperors :( or maybe im just dumb :p lol
The summary pages at the end of Antiquity are organised by theme and then princeps.

perpetuate

Chows down food
HSC
Harry Seacombe said:
Expanding the empire is stuff like Claudius' invasion of Britain

Consolidation of the empire involves making it stronger e.g. Claudius dividing and annexing Africa to stop the rioting, Claudius putting a Roman nominee on the throne of Armenia, Tiberius limiting annexing of client-kingdoms and leaving the Germans north of the Rhine to their own internal disturbances.

Hope this helps.

i'm also doing an essay on this dot-point. i was just wondering, would consolidation include such things as financial policies?

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
Perhaps you could link it to financial policies but that expansion and consolidation is focused on the area of foreign policy so that's the type of consolodation it is talking about - military terms

Maddy Thomas

HSC
N/A
I'm doing an assessment on this dot point and I'm struggling to grasp the whole topic (Julio-Claudians is not my strong point) . Could Navelj please post your essay just so I can get an idea of whats required? Thanks

aylcecaitlin

HSC
I'm also doing an essay on this dotpoint and I'm finding it really hard to find information on this dotpoint, anyone got any good websites or anything along those lines? thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)