Expectations? (1 Viewer)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
I was just wondering if anyone has really severe expectations...or expectations at all from your parents, aunts, uncles, guardians...?

I am petrified of how my parents and some of my aunts and uncles would react if I get under 90 (and that is highly likely afta those exams...:(). My sister got a rad mark of 98.7 and people have always expected me to surpass that. It really angers me but also gets me upset.

Anyone else in the same boat??

tennille

HSC
That really sucks. I have a friend who is forced to do medicine by his parents. My parents or family aren't putting pressure on me. They know I've worked hard all year and they always say "there are other ways to get into uni". And that's true. Getting above 90 doesn't mean you're "smart". It's not a true indication of how smart you are because of the scaling. I think I put more pressure on myself than anyone else. I was aiming for 96ish, but I'll be happy with 91-92.

If I get into the 80s, then I can do B Science, and transfer to Advance Science the next year. I think it is unfair for parents you put pressure on their kids to do well. You are doing it for yourself, not them.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The worst person who put pressure on me was myself... first I wanted over 90, then over 95, then over 97.... then I just got disapointed when I got my results. Don't worry about what your parents/relatives say.... I'm sure you will get a good UAI! Plus you might get some really great results in some subjects like art and drama. Just forget about it... when you get your results celebrate. If your family aren't happy with what you got just tell them you did your best and they should appreciate that.... if they can't appreciate that, then bitch about how mean they are being on BoS. It doesn't take long for everyone to get over the whole HSC thing.

Plus didn't your sister do the VCE??? The VCE is easier than the HSC.... :)

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
my teacher at school wrote on my referrence that i am going to get 100 uai...now theres a pretty unfair expectation

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
My parents will shoot me and blame my "social-life" - which is near non-existant anyway... for not getting over 90.

Considering B Music (Composition) doesn't have a UAI cut-off, those expectations are illogical...

They just want me to get into uni, right? Hmmmmm

dezzy

HSC
my parents/family dont have any expectations of me but i have them for myself. and a few of my teachershave high expectations my classes so i guess there's a bit of pressure there. i guess i just dont want to be disappointed?

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I have teacher expectations. Some are reasonable. Some are not. My parents also expect alot because generally, Im a good student. I've been hinting at the possibilty of low marks for the past few weeks since the HSC started. It's not just to lower their expectations but also to lower mine. I dont expect as good marks as i used to ever since the exams started. I've been stuffing up one after the other. On the whole, normally, i would die of disappointment if i dont get the UAI or HSC marks I expected because that's just how I am but this time around, I think Ill just deal with it and do what I can with whatever marks I get. I dont care about the UAI as such even though practicality dictates for me to care about it because it's what will get (or not get) me into Uni. But im stressed about HSC marks and teacher expectations. It's really getting on my nerves actually.....

DaRanjed

My parents don't put pressure on me, neither do my relatives or friends.
They don't say stuff like "You better get higher than 90."

Instead, my relatives and friends are all like "Oh, you'll do well. You're gonna get SO good."
What does that do? It puts pressure on me, kinda.
Like I have to live up to their expectations.
But I guess that doesn't matter to me much. I'm my own worst enemy. I'm trying to do my best to show myself what I can do.

Also, my whole family is gonna ask each other what I got for my UAI. You know, nosey uncles and aunts. lol

tennille

HSC
I know wht you mean. My friends do that. And each year it's getting harder and harder to get a good result, putting pressure on people who are doing the HSC in the future.

greeninsanity

all love is equal
HSC
DaRanjed said:
Also, my whole family is gonna ask each other what I got for my UAI. You know, nosey uncles and aunts. lol
So true!
My cousin got 99 a couple of years ago and now various aunts are telling me I have to do better than her. I try and tell them that it's not realistic but they don't seem to believe me....
pfft. i don't care. on UAI day i swear i'll be the only one in my family who doesn't care what it says.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
im expected to do alot better then my bother who bummed out in the HSC
but i am unsure because i don't think my exams went that well but oh well
my parents just expect me to go to uni thats all

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
Yeah the only one who really pressures me is myself...I'll be devastated if I get under 90, and pretty disappointed if it's under 94. I know it's silly but I did really well all year and I guess I just built up my own expectations. Plus I want to get into a course which is 95, but that's not really what's motivating me since there are so many ways to get into uni.

I totally agree with deranjed, though....i hate when people just expect that I'm going to do really well. It's not intentional but they put heaps of pressure on because it's not even a question, it's just "oh don't be silly, everyone who got 99 says they didn't do as well as they hoped in exams. You'll see."

Jessisbored

HSC
I have always worked really hard and its just the way i am that im not freaky smart so im expecting high 80's etc. but all of my cousins have always got over 90 which makes me look like a complete dumbass if i dont get it and somehow my relatives bcoz of this think its easy to get it. and its not! ill jump up to the moon if i get a 90.

DaRanjed

Stinks, doesn't it?

I try and tell them that it's not realistic but they don't seem to believe me....
Yea, they (especially friends) think you're being modest when I'm actually being realistic. I'd really rather be under estimated than overestimated.

As for cousins/siblings, I'm the oldest in my family...and only 2 of my cousins have done th HSC before me.
One got in the 60s, another got 84...So I better get in the 80s.
And my parents sometimes talk to me about family friends' daughters and sons who get like >95.
If I don't make it to Uni, I'm gonna feel ashamed.
For example, if friends as my parents what uni I made it into, I'd hate to make my parents say "He didn't make it to any."
Insecure, aren't I?

Don't mind me, just ranting...

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
mm yeh i just want to go to uni
ive applied for tafe.. at the beginning of the year i told myself i wouldnt be going there lol
i really hope i end up doing early childhood education at macquarie one way or another

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Yeh i just want a uai to comfotably get into uni..... or even scrap into uni!... My mum doesn't have any expectations, she doesn't even know what a UAI is... let alone cares what i get!. I have pretty big expectations on myself, but i'm not going to set myself up for disappointment.. I'll be happy with about 83-85

nicola99

hey...i need some advice. I did pretty well...generally throughout this year and mums expecting me to get a reasonably high UAI..meanwhile my sister in year 8 is already feeling the pressure and mum is already telling her that her marks arent at all good enough and saying she doesnt work despite the fact she does. We end up getting into fights every night and my sister always ends up in tears so im really worried about her.
Anyone got any tips to ease the situation
thanks heaps

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
nicola99 said:
hey...i need some advice. I did pretty well...generally throughout this year and mums expecting me to get a reasonably high UAI..meanwhile my sister in year 8 is already feeling the pressure and mum is already telling her that her marks arent at all good enough and saying she doesnt work despite the fact she does. We end up getting into fights every night and my sister always ends up in tears so im really worried about her.
Anyone got any tips to ease the situation
thanks heaps
yeah i'm seeing that with my lil bro. He cries from the pressure too, and much more now considering that they think I'm now a failure cuz I had moved out BECAUSE of the pressure they gave me... how cyclical...

Drop hints like "I'm worried about _______, she's been at her desk all day..."

or "Wow, I wasn't as dedicated as ______ when I was in year 8."

And if it's the expectations of your UAI... you can't control it now except by doing your best. That's all we've got left. :):(:)

Skillo

is in a theatre near you
In my blue-light backstage hovel, the theatre.
HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
The worst person who put pressure on me was myself... first I wanted over 90, then over 95, then over 97.... then I just got disapointed when I got my results. Don't worry about what your parents/relatives say.... I'm sure you will get a good UAI! Plus you might get some really great results in some subjects like art and drama. Just forget about it... when you get your results celebrate. If your family aren't happy with what you got just tell them you did your best and they should appreciate that.... if they can't appreciate that, then bitch about how mean they are being on BoS. It doesn't take long for everyone to get over the whole HSC thing.

Plus didn't your sister do the VCE??? The VCE is easier than the HSC.... :)
Yeah, Em did the VCE. But still, if I try and tell her that the HSC is harder than the VCE she goes nuts. Bloody older sisters... :)

I hope I get what I want. But yeah, its a bit of a poo having pressure ain't it ppls... :)

Paroissien

HSC
I put more pressure on myself, and anything else around me does.
And these is just something about a 9 as the first number that far exceeds all others, except a 1 of course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)