experience at a selective school (1 Viewer)

wanton-wonton

HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Yeah. I'm sitting in the library of a selective school right now. Look what I'm doing.
You go on BOS at school? ......... Erm.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I go on bos at school...well, I used to, until my school put new filters on the computers or something and now it's a "forbidden site" d'oh...

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Dreamerish*~ said:
Both of you have a somewhat stereotypical view of selective schools.

I attend a selective school - not a crazy (in the best way, of course ;)) one like James Ruse - but it's still reasonably ranked. There are all sorts of people in my school. You'd have the groups that worry about studying and talk of nothing except 4U maths, and you'd have bludgers that don't show up half of the time. What sets us apart from public schools is that we do not offer subjects which scale badly, and the textbooks we use (as far as I'm concerned - for maths, anyway) have slightly more challenging contents.

People in selective schools are still normal, for God's sake. The school sets higher standards and puts more pressure on them, but it doesn't turn them into another species. :rolleyes:

I expect assessment marks in at least the high 80s not because I'm a "selective-school snob", but because that's the standard I set for myself. I can say that 99% depends on the individual - the 1% left for schools that push students harder than others, and school scaling.
Haha, I guess I'd come most under the group in bold. ;) But I agree entirely with what you said.

I dislike how everyone's polarising this issue - either you're a selective school nerd who never goes out and does 4U maths or fun, or you're a bludger who goes out all the time and doesn't give a shit about your results (the implication being that this is 'normal'. The world isn't divided along the lines of party animals and bookworms. I'm a complete bludger and have jigged too many days to count this year... but I also care very much about my results... and I have a job... and I have a social life... and I'm upset with anything below 90% and frankly I think 80% is a shit result and I could care less if for you it's wonderful.

Basically what I'm trying to say is you can't simplify things that much and say "well, people at selective schools are deranged and obsessed with their marks, whereas other schools are 'normal' cos they're hardcore rebels who don't care about their hsc".

Personally I enjoy my school environment, but at the end of the day it's different strokes y'know?

Mandy101

HSC
I go to a selective school, and I have a balanced life.. I dance twice a week, have a part time job, regularly go out with my friends, and study at the same time. We're not all nerds with no life! It is quite a competitive environment, and yes, 80% is considered 'average'.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
Ashe said:
I'm reminded when I talk to non-selective kids of the environment I come from. Conversation is more likely to revolve around politics, current affairs, world issues and things like that than how smashed they were on the weekend.
That's not true. I don't go to a selective school but I find myself discussing politics, current affairs and world issues with my friends and peers almost everyday. It's such a generalisation to say that non-selective kids all get drunk on the weekends, and then proudly discuss how smashed they got when they come back to school. Frankly, its just as bad as saying all selective kids are nerdy and have no lives.

?wha?

HSC
hey i go to a selective school, and we have guys smoking in the toilets, chucking chairs at the fan and all the rest of it. but yeah, in recent years its just been small shrimps from a diverse *cough* background hellbent on studying

beith

Phony addministrator
HSC
knobblett said:
I'm @ NSB, and although our grade UAI average will be say 96-97, we are still big procrastinators, spending many hours on the net and in front of the tv...
Why? I don't know.. But we still do have social lives...
I agree with that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)