Explain how you assessed the reliability of induction information. (1 Viewer)

mAtboisLim

HSC
Could someone please remind me, what was the question number of this question?

Thanks.

LostAuzzie

HSC
I think it was 20,
I said that the internet was unreliable due to unknown author and the textbook for teaching HSC was more reliable, then I went on to say what I knew about the cook top and electromagnetic braking

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
I used pracs that we performed. Said we did a prac where we passed a current through a conductor and it heated up (we didn't, but shhhhhhh :p) and I also used the dropping magnets through pipes prac to back up the electromagnetic braking.

bEAbEA

HSC
i just said that i looked for info from lots of different sources, and where it was repeated, (in valid places) i believed it. Then I explained breifly how the cooktop and braking worked.
Oh well, its over now and i'm FINISHED!!!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Yeah, practically assess would imply how you used your concept of induction and applied it onto the actual applications in life such as cooktops or the electromagnetic braking. XD That's what i said..

darkwarrior2

HSC
bEAbEA said:
i just said that i looked for info from lots of different sources, and where it was repeated, (in valid places) i believed it. Then I explained breifly how the cooktop and braking worked.
Oh well, its over now and i'm FINISHED!!!
This is correct, its reliability of source + a brief explanation

lilkatie

I wrote about how we reasearch about AC motors (is the ac motor not an application of AC?) and about cooktops and said we researched in books and net and then said how internet unrerliable etc
and then i said that to ultimatley test the reliability we did pracs
=s I hate physics, just went so bad

pravski

HSC
you could have mentioned:

-authors credentials (i.e. qualified science teachers)
-consistency of info
-recency

ying123123

they never mentioned about a prac
did they iam pretty sure they didnt coz i would put the droping a magnet thing

HSC
I think the question is asking you to integrate your knowledge of physics theories and principles that relate and explain induction in 2 areas.

I simply stated 2 areas where they are used - induction cooktops and electromagnetic braking. I then quickly explained how they both use the principle of induction. Then i explained how validity was confirmed - by using a range of physics theories, principles, and knowledge from the year. The theories and principles would be: Lenz's law of back emf, Faraday's law of induction.

I dont know if i'm write, but i think that's the correct method of dissecting such an obscure question.

kdes17

HSC
hang on... i said we made a induction motor and tested the torque 'quantitativly' (we didnt). and repeated the experiment for reliability, is that wrong?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
My answer:

Two applications of induction are cooktops and braking.

I then very briefly described how e-m braking works. THen I said I got info from the net, textbooks and scientific journals, checked them for consistency, checked their sources. Then I said that the most reliable ones gave... <completed my description from above>.

Then I did exactly the same thing for cooktops.

rama_v

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
My answer:

I then very briefly described how e-m braking works. THen I said I got info from the net, textbooks and scientific journals, checked them for consistency, checked their sources. Then I said that the most reliable ones gave... <completed my description from above>.

Then I did exactly the same thing for cooktops.
yeah i did exactly the same. I said i got the info for electromagnetic breaking off a brochure from dreamworld about the tower of terror lol, then corroborated this info with text books and internet sites (i even said jacaranda lol)

B.J

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
My answer:

.... THen I said I got info from the net, textbooks and scientific journals, checked them for consistency, checked their sources....QUOTE]

yeah thats all you have to do for assess reliability........ But the two applications totally stumped me when i saw it, didnt think of induction cookers and braking, so would ac generation and transformers be ok aswell?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
B.J said:
Captain Gh3y said:
My answer:

.... THen I said I got info from the net, textbooks and scientific journals, checked them for consistency, checked their sources....QUOTE]

yeah thats all you have to do for assess reliability........ But the two applications totally stumped me when i saw it, didnt think of induction cookers and braking, so would ac generation and transformers be ok aswell?
Well, AC generators and transformers are devices that use induction, certainly. I chose cooktops and coils because their syllabus dotpoints both said "application of induction to...", but surely you couldn't be marked wrong for using generators and transformers.

flying_dragon

HSC
Talked about induction cooktops and electromagnetic braking, and briefly why each is better than other means of doing what they do. I said I used a 'variety of electronic and print media' (BS for used google). I said that i 'cross checked all data sources to ensure accuracy of information' and that i 'rejected information from manufacturers to ensure objectivity of the data'...

Massive BS all the way...

HSCExamMarker

HSC
N/A
I said we deconstructed the sample cooktop and verified that they were the coils and pans

and I also said that i went to an amusement park to ask the technician how the braking system works..

Alrite i did totally different stuff lol!
am i wrong??

HSC
is it okay if u talked about the induction motor, like is it acceptable for an application or did it specifically want what is in the syllabus, it would be pretty screwed if they ping us for things like that

Captain Karl

HSC
I totally misread this question. I talked about induction motors and braking and how we did pracs to test whether the principles of the application worked. Then setup a control and repeated to test reliability. There goes a decent mark for that question

richz

mate wat are u talking about, have u not seen BOS set papers? They change key words of dot pts every year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)