'Explain' questions (1 Viewer)

madharris

HSC
N/A
The hsc verb explain means to relate the cause and effect.

But i've found out that in a lot of questions, I don't know the difference between the cause and effect, or I just write the effect or just write the cause. Usually i just end up describing which is where i lose my marks.

Could someone please help me with this verb. How do you know what the cause and effect is?

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Explain - relate cause and effect; ,make the relationship between things evident; provide why and how

What causes it? What is the effect of that cause?

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If I may given an example from History - Explain how WWI started.

OK so we all know that the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand was 'the cause' but was it - well no. Of itself it wouldnt' have caused the war so you have to go back and look at other events and issues to 'explain' how that event caused the war and would therefore discuss things like colonisation/imperialism, militarism, nationalism, alliance systems, etc etc. Each of these longer term issues were also causes of the war and combined they resulted in the war so the effect of these causes was the war.

madharris

HSC
N/A
If I may given an example from History - Explain how WWI started.

OK so we all know that the assassination of the Archduke Franz Ferdinand was 'the cause' but was it - well no. Of itself it wouldnt' have caused the war so you have to go back and look at other events and issues to 'explain' how that event caused the war and would therefore discuss things like colonisation/imperialism, militarism, nationalism, alliance systems, etc etc. Each of these longer term issues were also causes of the war and combined they resulted in the war so the effect of these causes was the war.
ok thanks.

But what if it was Explain what WWI is

what is the cause and effect of that? Would it basically be the same thing?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)