Explain vs Analyse (1 Viewer)

BOS101

HSC
Hello. I am having trouble with analysing. I have a choice to explain or analyse for my task, and I want to try analysing.

The explain question: Explain how the concept of disenfranchisement is explored in To Kill a Mockingbird.
The analyse question: Analyse how the concept of disenfranchisement is explored in To Kill a Mockingbird.

I understand for the explain question, I would have to focus on disenfranchised characters, and explain why they're disenfranchised, using relevant quotes to support my explanation... but what exactly would I need to change for analyse??? Like am I still not explaining?? Also the TEEL structure for analyse does not make sense to me.

I'm really sorry if this doesn't make sense, but any help/comments would be appreciated.

Wizjaro

HSC
Analyse
Identify components and the relationship between them; draw out and relate implications

Explain
Relate cause and effect; make the relationships between things evident; provide why and/or how

So my personal understanding of explain vs analyse, is that when you are explain you are just trying too make sense of things by asking yourself why and how something occurs and then conveying your understanding to the marker. However, when you analyse you also talk about what the relationships mean in the grander scheme of things. So explain would be you saying why something happens while analyse is saying what that means for us. i.e. Explain would be like "disenfranchisement occurs due to an unstable power structure" While analyse would be like "Through this, we come to realise that unstable power structures may breed an undesirable future for society." I hope that makes sense.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Analysis calls for you to make a judgement based on evidence. Examine techniques used, which are more (or less) effective... is the exploration of disenfranchisement broad or narrow, and what evidence can you offer... does the exploration focus on a single aspect of disenfranchisement, or type, or does it go broader... are different aspects explored in equivalent depth? If you discuss these sorts of aspects, you can use them to support an overall judgement of the novel's effectiveness as a means for making meaning of the concept for the reader.

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
It's a long time sine I read the book, but as I recall there is disenfranchisement based on race, gender, education, wealth, and social ostracism. The jury, fir example, are mainly disempowered, poor, and ill-educated, yet relish the power they have through race to condemn a black man, irrespective of his guilt. In so doing, the disillusion Atticus' children about the principles of law and justice, in effect disenfranchising them from the town's society for the future by seeing the injustice for what it was. They get to know Boo Radley (sp?) and come to understand how he is disenfranchised.

It seems to me the analysis question has plenty of scope for exploration. Once you've decided on the position you want to take, you can structure the essay to support whatever conclusion you draw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)