exploiting the system by dumbing down (1 Viewer)

jason7218972

Capping/Maximum Marks
The old HSC allowed students to exploit the system by 'dumbing down'. In order to discourage this, many courses now have a maximum scaled mark imposed upon them.
does anyone know how to this was pulled off?

narrator

HSC
N/A
theres the concept that, say for example, you do standard english but are getting in the high nineties consistently. the logic is you should be doing advanced english, not standard, hence the highest mark you can get in standard is lower than the highest mark you can get n advanced by bos.

its supposed to make sure people dont just do easy cources and ace them, but do cources that reflect their ability

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by narrator
theres the concept that, say for example, you do standard english but are getting in the high nineties consistently. the logic is you should be doing advanced english, not standard, hence the highest mark you can get in standard is lower than the highest mark you can get n advanced by bos.

its supposed to make sure people dont just do easy cources and ace them, but do cources that reflect their ability
agreed

Nezz

HSC
i totally agree...
i still dont get how my friends who do CAFS, drama, art and music can complain that they get scaled down in comparison to someone doing an extension subject or phys and chem.. anyone else have this problem???

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah people always complain, but if they're easier, and you don't need to do as much work then of course they should be scaled down

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by Nezz

i still dont get how my friends who do CAFS, drama, art and music can complain that they get scaled down in comparison to someone doing an extension subject or phys and chem.. anyone else have this problem???
Well, you'd get a lot of ppl in phys and chem that would go down the shitter in CAFS and other humanities like that because they can't string a sentence. And I personally think the ability to communicate a thought-out point/argument coherently through an essay as well as orally should be a much more valued trait than the ability to solve an equation.

pri

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by YEAR12
Well, you'd get a lot of ppl in phys and chem that would go down the shitter in CAFS and other humanities like that because they can't string a sentence. And I personally think the ability to communicate a thought-out point/argument coherently through an essay as well as orally should be a much more valued trait than the ability to solve an equation.
according to the old HSC ur argument would hold thru but because of our 'new' hsc ur ability to express urself and writing VERY coherent and well thought out answers DOES matter in chem, in fact u can be brilliant at chem but if u cant string a sentense ur fucked as all hell. Chem students have to be good if not better than CAFS students to do well and would in this new system do very well in humanities.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)