ext 2 math: a retrospective (1 Viewer)

hecc

HSC
I'm so glad that I went out of my way to do extension 2 maths externally, despite my school not letting me doing it internally.

as someone who's 1. doing a degree in the faculty of engineering at unsw and 2. doing a minor in math, doing ext 2 just sets you up so well for core math courses (math1a and math1b). There is alot of overlap with the content in these courses and ext 2. While they do teach what's needed, it is definitely taught at a faster pace and I found that having done ext 2 allowed me to spend more time focusing on the newer and harder concepts that build off ext 2 knowledge.

a school's success rate is determined by the percentage of band 6's it can produce and some schools exploit this to encourage students who they think won't band 6/E4 in the higher course to take the lower course to increase their success rate, even though they may be perfectly capable of taking the higher course.
I, unfortunately, attended a school that did this, and although some members of my cohort and I tried to convince our school to let us take ext 2, they constantly denied.

I feel like nesa should have rules regarding schools preventing students from taking courses they want to do as a means to prevent this exploitation of success rate.

hehe43

HSC
I'm so glad that I went out of my way to do extension 2 maths externally, despite my school not letting me doing it internally.

as someone who's 1. doing a degree in the faculty of engineering at unsw and 2. doing a minor in math, doing ext 2 just sets you up so well for core math courses (math1a and math1b). There is alot of overlap with the content in these courses and ext 2. While they do teach what's needed, it is definitely taught at a faster pace and I found that having done ext 2 allowed me to spend more time focusing on the newer and harder concepts that build off ext 2 knowledge.

a school's success rate is determined by the percentage of band 6's it can produce and some schools exploit this to encourage students who they think won't band 6/E4 in the higher course to take the lower course to increase their success rate, even though they may be perfectly capable of taking the higher course.
I, unfortunately, attended a school that did this, and although some members of my cohort and I tried to convince our school to let us take ext 2, they constantly denied.

I feel like nesa should have rules regarding schools preventing students from taking courses they want to do as a means to prevent this exploitation of success rate.
Nesa does have rules, just some schools, particularly private and selective schools, break them and get away with it bc no one polices them.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Nesa does have rules, just some schools, particularly private and selective schools, break them and get away with it bc no one polices them.
yep our schools never do assignments for maths even tho ur "supposed" to have them.

Last edited:

moonsuyoung

HSC

EXACTLYYYYYYYYY

hecc

HSC
are they outlined somewhere?
I've heard that from many people, but there are no documents supporting it.
additionally, when I called nesa last year, they said that it was between me and my school and they would not get involved.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
are they outlined somewhere?
I've heard that from many people, but there are no documents supporting it.
additionally, when I called nesa last year, they said that it was between me and my school and they would not get involved.
the school and teachers have it, nesa typically send emails to the head teachers. They are asked to follow the syllabus, but in the end have the final say on assessments and stuff. Example, our teachers for english have "assignments" which were mandatory by nesa to be submitted like an assessment mark with a deadline but our teachers changed it to have 0 weighting. This was done so they followed nesas outline however it was worth 0 marks, and instead we had an exam that was worth 25% (what the assignment was meant to be worth).

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Maths too, typically tests are made to be fair with median around 70% or soemthing. But our school wants to differentiate the top and bottom students, and the median for the tests was <50% (which is n-warning level). Last year the average for a 3u test (exl 4u students) was also <50%. I have a friend and their class had only 4/20 people who passed.

carrotsss

HSC
the school and teachers have it, nesa typically send emails to the head teachers. They are asked to follow the syllabus, but in the end have the final say on assessments and stuff. Example, our teachers for english have "assignments" which were mandatory by nesa to be submitted like an assessment mark with a deadline but our teachers changed it to have 0 weighting. This was done so they followed nesas outline however it was worth 0 marks, and instead we had an exam that was worth 25% (what the assignment was meant to be worth).
That’s a separate requirement, see page 7 of this

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Screen Shot 2023-06-27 at 11.41.10 am.png
wait but isnt this still our school not following nesas outline though. cus if u look at the 4th dot point, all our assessments were written examinations, meaning no assignments (well there was one but it was not weighted) And our multimodal presentation isnt a presentation at all, its just writing a creative essay then recording urself narrating it

dav53521

HSC
View attachment 38745
wait but isnt this still our school not following nesas outline though. cus if u look at the 4th dot point, all our assessments were written examinations, meaning no assignments (well there was one but it was not weighted) And our multimodal presentation isnt a presentation at all, its just writing a creative essay then recording urself narrating it
Pretty sure almost every school goes around it by not counting the assignments that aren't the trials as a non written or smth like that.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Pretty sure almost every school goes around it by not counting the assignments that aren't the trials as a non written or smth like that.
and our common mod was worth 35%, our mod a was 10%, our mod b was 30%, mod c was 25% lmao it is so scuffed

carrotsss

HSC
Nah they’re just considered ‘informal’ written tasks if they’re in class iirc

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
View attachment 38745
Nah our school also broke the rules lmao we have 5 assessment tasks instead of four

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)