Ext 2 Maths (1 Viewer)

Nelly

I'm in the exact same position, I've got Mechanics, Harder 3U Volume, and half of integration left to do. I've managed to teach myself the rest of integration, and harder 3U, but I can't get mechanics or volume, it's just too hard to be self taught.

Morgues

Just the fact that even the tail of James Ruse who (believe it or not) don't do much at all still get very good UAIs as their marks get dragged up by the great overall performance of the whole group

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That kind of 'group benefit' isn't exclusive to James Ruse AHS - any upper end selective school is bound to have most of their students performing well.

It's the reason why they're selective in the first place.

Morgues

Well I think just about everyone gets over 85 with the vast majority over 95
my brother who was coming just about dead last in nearly every subject and who was nearly kicked out due to "lack of effort" ended up with a uai of 93 which was amazing as judging by his reports/results I didnt think he would get above 70

Nelly

What, oh man, that makes me so mad. That's why the BOS (the real one) has to change the system. I know they did last year, but it was a crap change, they need to fix it all up. Their just a bunch of fatcats, hehe.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
That's why the BOS (the real one) has to change the system.
If you could come up with a system that truly worked better and is fairer than the current one, I am sure they would implement it.

Such a system has yet to emerge.

Nelly

Yeah I guess. It is kind of fair, but as was mentioned before, there are still people out their getting pulled up and down because of what school they go to.

I mean, if I had $5 000 000, I would move to Sydney city, pay my way into Sydney Grammar, and get pulled up like the rest of them. There you go, so they have to think up a system which is fair for all peoples. I like the idea that country kids get +5 UAI, thats fair, because of the conditions they live in, and the schools they go to (no offence to country people, hehe, you guys suck :p). Sorry, anywayz, they just need to make sure that people aren't being unfairly advantaged or disadvantaged according to how other people went in the HSC.

Last edited:
A

average

so are you saying that selective school students are unfairly advantaged?

Morgues

Well I think what saved my brother was that he did well in the actual HSC exams, the fact that he went to James Ruse meant bad assesment rankings didnt really affect him as nearly everyone at Ruse did well in the hsc exam

Nelly

Oh, OK, but still, people are being effected by other peoples results.

Say the person who came first in the 4U class, completely bombs the HSC because he is sick or something, or because of spite, or whatever. Our entire class is pulled down with him, whats the deal with that???

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
If you don't go to a selective school, it should be comparatively 'easier' to gain access to the higher assessment rankings, thereby providing you with the same advantage anyway.

Many students forget that every year 12 student in the state is doing the HSC, not merely those that are in their own school.

Nelly

I don't get it, whats that got to do with anything? yeah, there are going to be 15 000 people sitting, doing a change essay on the morning of the 2st of October 2002, but how does that effect our ranking within our school?

Nelly

Sorry buddy, I was just using it as an example, didn't mean to actually offend anyone that goes there.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
yeah, there are going to be 15 000 people sitting, doing a change essay on the morning of the 2st of October 2002, but how does that effect our ranking within our school?
Because, Nelly, many students, upon finding out that they are ranked in the top 10 or top 5 in their school (or even higher), believe that they are doing 'well enough' and do not try nearly as hard as they would if they remembered that they were competing against the rest of the state and not the rest of the school.

They don't even realise their potential, let alone come close to reaching it.

A

average

ok, for school assessments, if a selective student get a same mark as a normal school school student, then the selective student gets scaling advantage. this is bcause standards in different schools are differnt. selective students may be working harder, or do harder exams etc etc.

For hsc exams, depends on how well the school group goes, students in the school gets scaled accordingly. obviously, those top selective students get good scaling advantage. i reckon it is fair for people to get advantage since they could bother getting into those selective schools

also with the hsc, it is very hard to 'bomb out' since u can claim sickness or misadvanture, in which they look at your school mark more that your 'sick hsc' mark

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)