ext history...argh!! (1 Viewer)

hottie_mira

hey ya'll... ext history is sooo time consuming!! so much work to do plus all the other subjects!! our proposal for the project is due soon and i still dont know what im doin!! H E L P!!!!

Abbeygale

HSC
Well, you have two options.

Option 1) Choose something to do. First things first, take a long hard look at the options offered by the syllabus. If nothing comes to mind, think of what you enjoy most in 2 unit history, what areas or periods of history interest you. Do a bit of surfing around, look at one of those history books the Reader's Digest puts out like 'What, When How and Why'. You'll stumble across something remarkably quickly.

Option 2) Drop it.

and I'm sorry, but I have to say it- you guys haven't had your proposals due yet? wtf? Ours was due week nine of term four.

HayleeKate

HSC
Abbeygale said:
Well, you have two options.

Option 1) Choose something to do. First things first, take a long hard look at the options offered by the syllabus. If nothing comes to mind, think of what you enjoy most in 2 unit history, what areas or periods of history interest you. Do a bit of surfing around, look at one of those history books the Reader's Digest puts out like 'What, When How and Why'. You'll stumble across something remarkably quickly.

Option 2) Drop it.

and I'm sorry, but I have to say it- you guys haven't had your proposals due yet? wtf? Ours was due week nine of term four.
total Agreement, my proposal was due last year also, you're already cheating compared to the rest of us! What on earth are you writing in your log book if you still dont have a topic?
I hate to be blunt, but youre probably finding it so time consuming because [if you dont have a topic yet] you've clearly done nothing for the first half of the year, and yes, if you try do 6 months work in a couple of days it does take a fair bit of time in your daily routine.
On a more helpful note, make sure your topic is something youre interested in, otherwise you wont ever want to do any work for it, and hence it will become again quite 'time consuming' for the day or two before its due.

Plebeian

Guys, calm down a bit. Not every school starts the project in Term 4 of Year 11. My own first proposal was not due until about week 2 of term 2, when the final project was due week 1 of term 3. At this stage of the year, I had only just begun the very start of my project (I did preliminary research during the holidays between Terms 1 & 2) and I ended up with full marks, so don't assume all schools work to the same timeframe as yours.

You also should be writing in your logbook before you find a topic. The process of topic selection is a crucial part of the overall process. I had upwards of 10 pages on finding a topic, because I rejected several as I researched them and found they weren't viable to cover from a historiographical point of view.

A couple of good points were made, though, in that no-one can pick a topic for you, you just need to consider your areas of interest, or have a look through a general historical publication; and that you need to pick a topic you find personally interesting in order to be motivated to work on it.

a8o

HSC
Exactly. Our school started week 2 term 1 this year, log book due for marking end of term 1, final project due end of term 2.

jodi_p

i havnt really started yet, ive been given my resources from a friend whos an historian, but thats as far as i have gone....... our teacher was away 4th term last yr so we are a term behind in the course......i understand the anxiety everyone is feeling.....

boycee

HSC
Woh guyz - wooo back! Stress less and take it easy! It's all good.

You'll do just fine when you get started, it's always the beginning of something that's the most difficult thing to achieve (or a classy ending!)
I agree though, that you really should start to be thinking about a topic by now, not to put you down or anything, but it will take such a burden off your shoulders if you actually know what you are doing.

I've started doing my research and background reading and am really enjoying it so just make sure that you choose something whcih you will enjoy doing!

Above all - have fun! Life and the HSC are about trying your best and being content with that.

hope u all do really well

~boycee!~

hottie_mira

yer our teacher didnt tell us about the project till half way thru term 1 and we got our proposal due may 12..thats cheatin if u otha ppl got to start in term4 of last year!!! :(

Abbeygale

HSC
mira2005 said:
yer our teacher didnt tell us about the project till half way thru term 1 and we got our proposal due may 12..thats cheatin if u otha ppl got to start in term4 of last year!!! :(
That is a little unfortunate, but didn't you read the booklet handed out for choosing subjects in yr 11/12? The major work was pretty explicitly referenced there. It is also outlined in the syllabus and would have dominated your assessment schedule.
If you weren't given any of these documents, then you've got reason to complain. If you were, its certainly not cheating.

Last edited:

hottie_mira

Abbeygale said:
That is a little unfortunate, but didn't you read the booklet handed out for choosing subjects in yr 11/12? The major work was pretty explicitly referenced there. It is also outlined in the syllabus and would have dominated your assessment schedule.
If you weren't given any of these documents, then you've got reason to complain. If you were, its certainly not cheating.
for the start of hist ext in term 4 last yr we had sum idiot sub teacha who knew nuthn bout ext cos our real teacha was away in egypt on holidays. half the stuff we wer sposed to get we still havnt got..

Abbeygale

HSC
mira2005 said:
for the start of hist ext in term 4 last yr we had sum idiot sub teacha who knew nuthn bout ext cos our real teacha was away in egypt on holidays. half the stuff we wer sposed to get we still havnt got..
So were you given a copy of the syllabus and assessment schedule or not? The course outline is given in year 10/11, so that can't be explained by a substitute teacher.

hottie_mira

we got nothing till the start of this year. last term of last yr we startd 'what is history' and then we missed a whole heap of lessons cos we had no teacher so alot of ppl left cos they wer fed up and then start of this yr we got the syllabus etc.. just got the actual notification of assesment last week.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
The class of His. Ext. students at my school just had to re-write all of their MW's...teacher's orders.

hottie_mira

Gavrillo said:
The class of His. Ext. students at my school just had to re-write all of their MW's...teacher's orders.
MWs??? we had to all rewrite our essays frm the half yearly ova the holidays..was slack :( :( :(

Mandy101

HSC
My school hasn't asked for our proposal yet, but we've already given in our first essay draft. Different schools do things different ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)