Extension 2 English Journal (1 Viewer)

redladybug24

HSC
I've started extension 2 english this week and my teacher said something about keeping a journal and never elaborated on what was required.... does anyone have any pointers to get started????

patty4848

HSC
Re: Extension 2 English

Hey I'm in the same situation as you. I just started Ext 2 English as well. The journal is basically a written version of your thought process. It documents your investigation into the subject matter and form, and how you came to the ideas that you did. This includes where you got your inspiration from, why you chose to do ext 2 english and this topic in particular etc.

If you need a detailed source of information, visit www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au and click on the HSC Syllabus' Tab and scroll down to Ext 2 English, and there should be more information on what is required for your medium, and for the journal, reflection statement, viva voce etc.

hope that helps

seano77

Walk On
HSC
Re: Extension 2 English

Yeah, it depends on what you're doing though. Mostly for evidence of research and thoughts.

Yanki

HSC
Hi guys. I'm doing extension 2 this year also. We got a handout at the tsart of the year telling us all about the Process Journal. It says the prupose of the journal is to document investigations, drafts and reflect on the precess. And that it is an indicator of the integrity of the work. I t can include anything but some main things might be the original propsal, records of assesment tasks and feedback, a bibliography, records of changes of directions etc. Really its just a place to write about everything that went into making your porject work. I suppose by the end of the year it would be pretty special to you.
Good luck to eveyone.
-Bianca

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
For me personally the journal was heavily contrived towards the end.
Initially i found it useful for sortingout my thoughts/plots/connections/relationships/revelations etc but after that my structure was fairly concrete so i didnt really find the need for the journal.
Regardless i still went thru the papers etc and found articles that 'engaged me', i printed off things from the net ie articles like this;

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120115380.html<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

i just scribbled things alot.. if i got random ideas for textual allusions i just wrote thme in...
i put my scribbled on drafts in there... as well as assessment tasks [ie my proposal edits and final, viva voce speech.. reprots etc]
quotes that inspired me towrite rarr rarr...
drawings/artworks
It's also extremely useful to keep a few pages toward the back as a bibliography so that u can just write ur sources out as u go along so thatin the end theres no mad rush to contrive a bibliography...
goodluck!

Zephyrio

HSC
For my journal, I'm going to use pink paper for concept, green paper for medium, white for reflections and blue for subject matter. Just so it's got some sophisticated colour code :) You might want to try that. Always try to annotate whatever source you print out and reflect on them if possible. I've been doing this and my log book's already up to 4000 words :\ minus the research. But I have been putting a lot of hard work and effort in, so hopefully it pays off. Best of luck to you!

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Reflect reflect reflect!!! But don't go overboard like me and reflect upon reflecting ad infinitum, include content too :D and also if you like colourful stuff, make it colourful! Photos, lyrics, quotes, drawings, whatever is relevant to your work or inspires you belongs in there and if you genuinely enjoy adding to it, you'll keep coming back to it and not seeing it so much as a task. It becomes treasured by the end of the year. I still miss mine, my teacher has it at the moment as far as i know :(
Seconding the recommendation to annotate, you will definitely rack up a huge amount of sources over the course of the year, just makes it easier when writing your reflection statement. It's really easy to start neglecting this but just make sure that you've written enough on each significant source to footnote it, even if you're not doing a full-blown bibliography.
I actually had separate journals, one was an expanding file for printed copies of my major work that I'd edit and reprint about twice a month, and twice a week as the date neared. Another was a display folder for material our teachers gave us - you know the kind, huge stacks of stapled paper detailing course requirements, timelines, assessment information, and sometimes sample works. The third, and main, was a green A4 200 page notebook, which was massive by the end of it. Before handing it in, I bought a big red binder folder thingie, filled it with plastic sleeves, ripped apart the notebook (that was painful) and stuck everything in chronological order so the drafts were integrated. Saved me from using a lot of glue for each draft, and looked pretty cool too.

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
Question: Statement of intention.

The syllabus says we need to include a statement of intention at the start of the journal. Is this the proposal?

EDIT (18.2.08) - Spoke to my teacher today. She said that yes, it is the proposal, but it doesn't have to be at the FRONT front, just somewhere near the front. Sucks when you think of things over the weekend and you have to wait for Monday to ask them, doesn't it? But anyway, yes, it is the proposal. So don't forget to chuck yours in somewhere!

Last edited:

starrysky

HSC
Pastelblue said:
Does anyone know if we get our journals back after we have submitted them?

Because my journal is very random and has a lot of personal stuff and I don't want just anyone to read it! I still feel nervous whenever my teacher has to read it.
Your Major Work and Journal is sent back to your school about three weeks or so into the subsequent school year, and you can collect them then. I'm going in to get mine sometime next week. Usually your Journal doesn't get looked at anyway, unless there are inconsistencies with the Reflection Statement and/or Major Work, so to an extent you don't have to worry about anyone reading the personal crap.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
nichhhole said:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120115380.htmlffice:eek:ffice" /><o>:p></o>:p>

thanks for the advice but could you possibly re-write this url please

Thank You

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)