Extension confusion (1 Viewer)

amy*09

HSC
hey everyone

i had a brilliant brain wave for a story for extension 2 about a week ago, and i have just finished writing up a plot line for it. i think its ok and some of the people i have asked to read it think so to, but im thinking that the entire idea is a little bit babbyish for an extension 2 story. im confused at the moment and am not sure what to do

also can anyone tell me the criteria for writing stories in this subject. is there a certain word limit that has to met?

if anyone could respond it would all be welcome

thanks in advance!!!

starrysky

HSC
Best advice I can give you, that I was given myself at a lecture last year when I started EE2:

Avoid teenage angst & suicide stories, unless you can pull it off immaculately and can avoid cliche's.

With that said, though, general consensus is that you write a story centring around ideas and concepts that you yourself are interested in or passionate about. Don't think about the market's interpretation of it, because they don't look at it from the surface; they examine your Major Work based on its status as a work of art - i.e. how effectively you conveyed themes, etc.

Short stories ... usually the limit is 8,000 words (although a little bit over is not a bad thing in most cases). General range is from 6,000 words to 8,000 words, so pitch your target around that area and see how you go.

Reflection statement for short stories is 1,000 words to 1,500 words. Markers have told me repeatedly that as the maximum is 1,500, they usually expect that much, but it's entirely up to you. Remember; quality, not quantity.

And remember that your idea is not the only important factor in all of this: it's also to do with HOW effectively you convey your idea(s) in your chosen medium. EE2 can become a very personal course, and the more you apply to it, the more you'll get out of it.

What's your idea anyway? (If you don't mind sharing - it's up to you.)

lotrhpfan

lurker
HSC
starrysky said:
Best advice I can give you, that I was given myself at a lecture last year when I started EE2:

Avoid teenage angst & suicide stories, unless you can pull it off immaculately and can avoid cliche's.

With that said, though, general consensus is that you write a story centring around ideas and concepts that you yourself are interested in or passionate about.
very very true. steer clear of cliche sorts of things and do something you have an interest in or prior knowledge of because the amount of research and re-reading you have to do is a lot. so make it easier for yourself!!

if you're still not sure about your idea, do some short drafts, like a 500 words here and there just to get the feel of it and so you have something to show others. this may clear up your confusion.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
A lot of what you want to know is in the syllabus, so check that out and it should answer a few questions.

In regards to your comment that you think your story is a little too 'babyish', it isn't. You can't twist a genre to make it all artsy or whatnot like some of the pompous stories you see in showcase etc.

One of the things my teacher constantly asserted to us was that they like 'a simple story told well'. You don't need to be all fancy etc and have quotes or whatever littered throughout your story. As long as you write it well, keeping with the genre, style and audience, you should be fine.

Your audience dictates your work, so if you feel your work is going to be babyish, aim it at babies. If you're writing an earnest tome on the current state of literary theory, aim it at academics. Your audience choice is a powerful tool, so use it to your advantage.

I think i've gone off on enough tangents for you, but I hope I helped.

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
starrysky said:

Short stories ... usually the limit is 8,000 words (although a little bit over is not a bad thing in most cases). General range is from 6,000 words to 8,000 words, so pitch your target around that area and see how you go.
Xuannnie! i totally agree with the first part...
[even though i never actually followed the advice.. diving into the biggest piece of teenage angst what with a dead best friend etc...]

but on the other bit about the word limit..
i've read marking notes where they've made specific points about keeping to the word limit..
now whilst i dnt actaully think they'll know if you're afew words over, don't tempt yourself.
just stick to the limit.
Also,
Don't be too scared off by the idea about your story being too 'babyish'...sometimes the most basic ideas are the best [as opposed to having some dramatic plotline thats terriblyhard to follow..]
it's about how you write it.. [for example, since pretty much every story's already been written.. it then becomes an issue about how u write it..]
Decide whether your idea is sophisticated enough to endure the 6000-8000word stretch
:)
goodluck!

Last edited:

amy*09

HSC
hey guys thanks for replying
all ur info has helped me get a basic start
so thanks a lot and good luck with ur HSC results and merry christmas everyone!!!!

:santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)