Extension courses for year 12? And what are you dropping? (1 Viewer)

Faytle

open fire.
HSC
I think I'd want to be left with 11 units next year ;s. But yeh, same here. Coming first in IPT but at this rate it's the one that I'll most likely be dropping :eek:.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I want to do 12 units, but common sense tells me that 10 units is ideal.

If only i could drop SOR1 (compulsory at my school :mad1:), drop Ancient History (i probably will) and take up Eng Ext 2 (so that Eng Adv doesn't count). Then i'd be set with 11 units.

Le3sah

HSC
Dropping Ext 1 maths.
Maybe picking up EE2...doubt it though..

Leaving me with 11 units. :)

cs01001

HSC
Lol, I have a dilemma between 13 or 11 Units.

Currently, I am 13 Units consiting of Advance, 3U Maths, Economics, Goegraphy, Modern History and Chemistry. I am thinking of

* Dropping Geography because of the shit scaling/bad candidature thing. I am currently ranked #4 out of 17 with minimal study. I am fairly confident that if I try harder in it, I can easily boost the rank or hopefully top it. Of the 17 guys, 4-5 are extremely competitive, I can sefely say the rest are jokers who don't really give a shit about school. Wag etc...

* Dropping Chemistry, because I am doing poorly at it. I am working at it during the holidays to clear all the stuff up. I am worried if I drop this, my UAI will suffer majorly because the scaling is gone.

* To pick up Senior Science. Its easier but people tell me the scaling is somewhat equvilent to General. Candidature is decent, hardworking.

* To pick up Extension History. I am worried that If I do happen to pick up Extension, I won't be able to cope with it, as the writing requires a high level of English (3-4U skills possibly). As I am doing Advance only, it would seem suicidical to even try it, lol.

Can somoene give me advice as to which to drop, and whether to go with 13 or 11. Also how does Eco (aiming for top 5), Advance, Legal (for sister's sake) scale in comparison to others?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cheap Thrills

HSC
S1M0 said:
I want to do 12 units, but common sense tells me that 10 units is ideal.

If only i could drop SOR1 (compulsory at my school :mad1:), drop Ancient History (i probably will) and take up Eng Ext 2 (so that Eng Adv doesn't count). Then i'd be set with 11 units.
English is different to maths. Adv still counts when you do EE2. Sorry to break it to ya. Even though thats a hypothetical situation

CieL

HSC
Hm.. when I did yr12, I did:

- 3u eng
- 3u maths
- 3u jap
- 2u bio

= 11 units all up

I never thought about scaling and all that whatnot. I just did whatever I liked.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Im thinking about dropping Mathematics im doing heaps bad in it but then i would probably start WW3 with the parents (asian LOL)
and pick up Extension Music and/or Extension History
..hmm im still deciding at the moment.

dreamee

HSC
hopefully dropping geo for philosophy... But then I'd have to get in first. =[

Zephyrio

HSC
Picking up MX2, EE2 and history extension.

And dropping bio. (can't wait :D)

I'll see how I cope with the extensions... I'll drop if I can't cope =)

cfair

Banned
HSC
You're dropping bio in year 12? That's when it becomes interesting! I've gone through the bad topics in year 11 just so I can do it.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Cheap Thrills said:
English is different to maths. Adv still counts when you do EE2. Sorry to break it to ya. Even though thats a hypothetical situation
Not neccesarily. Two units of english have to count towards your UAI, so if i were to do Eng Ext 1 and 2, and English Adv was to be my worst subject. English Advanced doesn't count towards my UAI.

EDIT:...but that means i have to have 12 units.....DAMN!

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
S1M0 said:
Not neccesarily. Two units of english have to count towards your UAI, so if i were to do Eng Ext 1 and 2, and English Adv was to be my worst subject. English Advanced doesn't count towards my UAI.

you are in the same pickle as me. :( I wanna do 4unit, but am trying to decide whether dropping Ancient History would be a good idea.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
Jachie said:
you are in the same pickle as me. :( I wanna do 4unit, but am trying to decide whether dropping Ancient History would be a good idea.
I personally find the topics we're doing now to be quite boring. So i'm thinking of dropping it.

But then again, i didn't put any effort into ancient this year, so i might enjoy it if i actually did some work.

Last edited:

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
I think I'm going to drop General Mathematics...because it's General Mathematics, because I really despise it. Then, I'll take up English Extension 2 and History Extension. Everybody seems to be taking up those two, haha.

Well, I'm at least keeping English Extension 2 and History Extension until Term 4, and then I'll decide what I should drop/keep.

I also think I'm going to drop Geography and do accelerated Modern History (because it clashed with one of my subjects). So many choices.

Cheap Thrills

HSC
S1M0 said:

I see. Good point

Kujah

HSC
N/A
There's Extension French? Well good luck!

Haecce

HSC
Currently I'm doing 3u English, Studies of Religion 2, Modern History, Ancient History, Drama and French Beginners.

Without a doubt I'm dropping French and picking up 4u English. I'm not enjoying Ancient that much at the moment, but I'm doing super duper well and I am sure next year will be more interesting. I am finding Modern interesting, yet am somehow not doing as well as I should be... I might wait until start of 2008 or the half-yearlies to see whether I'll go down to 10.

I'm wishing now I had looked at these things a few years ago and taken the steps to ensure I could be doing something fun next year like Philosophy or Comparative Literature... oh well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)