Extension English Essays... (1 Viewer)

bento

HSC
Okay....
All year I've been writing my extension english essays with techniques...but do we even need them in extension or is it mainly for advanced? Do we only use techniques when it is appropriate since we're not trying to show off our knowledge of them, but of themes and concepts?

Dave2007

HSC
Well in board of studies speak, "techniques convey meaning". So if you're discussing a concept, such as say individuality, it sounds better to say "The mis en scene of x coupled with the scoring of Y shows his individuality which can be discussed in terms of..." than just to say "The film's primary theme is individuality, which can be discussed in terms of..."

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
If you know your techniques, you know your texts. My teacher always highlights the importance of techniques and making sure that techniques are integrated throughout your essay rather than having them all in one paragraph.

becko the gecko

HSC
techniques are ESSENTIAL! in my experience it can make the difference between a B and an A so include as many as you can.... ensuring they are relevant!

luridlysteph14

HSC
Techniques are the lovely padding that not only bump up your word count, but show that you know what you're on about (and can prove it by pulling stuff from the text) and also show that you can interpret meanings FROM signals in the text.

The word count thing? A joke.

But seriously. I see techniques as "evidence" to your "thesis".

So if you're discussing a concept, such as say individuality, it sounds better to say "The mis en scene of x coupled with the scoring of Y shows his individuality which can be discussed in terms of..."
I have no idea what you're talking about =/. Somehow I don't think my class is learning effectively. Mis en? Scoring?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)