Extension English Help! + free puppies/money/food (1 Viewer)

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
For English Extension 1, our teacher wants us to have five related texts for Module A: Genre - Crime Writing (only two texts are needed, I believe, but as some texts may suit a certain question better, we were told to do more). That said, I don't really know what I want to read. I don't just want to do short stories/films, that is lazy and probably won't pay off - I want to read novels.
However, I do not want to waste my time reading a 500 page book that I am uninterested in, or won't be of any help, nor do I want to do any generic, overused texts (i.e. Agatha Christie, although I am told to read at least one classic). So, my question to other EE1 students is, what texts are you reading? Are you enjoying them/will they be useful in furthering your study? If so, please name them. Also, if you are a past student, what texts did you use? Did you find them useful? I am open to any (reasonable) suggestions.

At the moment I am just beginning to read The Nightmare by Lars Kepler. It seems okay, although it is really long.

Thanks.

*DISCLAIMER: All puppies/money/food mentioned in the title will be 'gifted' through the following links:

Puppies: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...tiAf--4HgDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=2133&bih=1061
Money: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...QiAf-kIGQDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=2133&bih=1061
Food: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...oiAe6yoHwAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=2133&bih=1061

You're welcome.

grape

HSC
we're doing module B: Navigating the global
seems alright so far i guess

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
For English Extension 1, our teacher wants us to have five related texts for Module A: Genre - Crime Writing (only two texts are needed, I believe, but as some texts may suit a certain question better, we were told to do more).
Usually I'd agree with this but looking clearly at past EE1 questions for Crime Writing, the same thing is asked every single time, just in different words. This is largely because the course is based around subverting the conventions of the genre and even though I think they can specify a convention, it shouldn't be anything too worrying because there are limited conventions to study anyway and they will only pick out an important one that you will definitely have studied (or should have studied). I think 2 related texts are enough, but if you want to play it safe doing 3 should be good enough.

I suggest doing 1 related text that is Hard-boiled and the other one a modern crime text to show the subversions through out history as societies developed. My reasoning is that since Golden Age is the start of the Crime Writing genre, there is no real point looking closely at a specific Golden Age crime text since you will be referring to the stock characters/conventions of that era to show the subversions in Crime Writing regardless (if that doesn't make sense, I can try to elaborate more clearly for you in a PM).

I did a short story (hard-boiled) and the movie Law Abiding Citizen, but books like the Millennium trilogy work great for the modern adaptation of Crime Writing. Anything by Jo Nesbo works great too!

GabbyS

HSC
My teacher has told us to simply read as much crime writing as possible from across all eras. She's asked us to read an Agatha Christie to cement the 'Golden Age' conventional crime fiction in our minds, and then the rest is up to us. I've been thinking about The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and I'm about to start reading 'The Cuckoo's Calling', written by "Robert Galbraith" who is actually J.K. Rowling, it's supposed to be really good. I'd say just read/watch widely and pick a variety of texts to study in depth that are not all from the same era.

KitchenSinky

HSC
We're doing Module C: Fuck you in the ass. At first I though the teacher was just being a sick pervert when he introduced the topic but seeing your responses has made me reconsider.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
We're doing Module C: Fuck you in the ass. At first I though the teacher was just being a sick pervert when he introduced the topic but seeing your responses has made me reconsider.
If 'Fuck you in the ass' = textual integrity, then you have no reason to reconsider.

Textual Integrity is like eating raw ghost chillis dipped in chilli paste. Double the pain, debatable joy.

Kowther

HSC
5 related is too much! 2 or 3 is good.

We did Crime writing, and our texts were Rear Window, The Real Inspector Hound and the Skull beneath the Skin. As for related, we got many choices. For my trial, I did Sherlock's 'A Study in Pink' (yes, the BBC tv show) and Disturbia as related texts. Although other examples we got was The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mousetrap and the Red Headed League.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)