Extension English worth it? (1 Viewer)

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
For a different perspective, I did EE1 for a few weeks near the start of yr11, and I didn't like it at all. Maybe it was because I was doing another 13units on top of that, but it seemed like way more than just one unit's worth of work. I did well in english in yr10 and my teacher told me to pick it up, but I didn't really understand what was expected and it was all confusing >< Dropping it meant I missed out on some of the more interesting topics that they did later, but it also meant fewer exams and not having to finish reading Emma :D

I don't know, it all depends on the person. Try it for a while, you can always drop if you don't like it later haha :]

luvtads

HSC
Extension English was probably my best subject in Yr 11. Its very interesting and for me really helped develop my analytical skills. But it also depends on the module you do. We did Utopia/Dystopia absolutely loved it :)
I juggled it with 14 units and still did well, if you give a lil time to it you can do really well. Unfortunately i dropped for the HSC, but i have learned wayy more in ext eng than in any other subject. Its definitely worth doing.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
Dropping it meant I missed out on some of the more interesting topics that they did later, but it also meant fewer exams and not having to finish reading Emma :D
LOL Jim, no one in their right minds actually read Emma!
Except people like our dear friend N.N. (who as you know, is crazy)
You don't need to even read the texts to get a good mark. That's the beauty of english. :D
You shouldn't have dropped it!

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You don't need to even read the texts to get a good mark. That's the beauty of english.
You shouldn't have dropped it!
In prelim I finished the course before finishing the text. Still read it in the end, even though it meant nothing at that stage.

Rage_Quitter

HSC
Thanks for the information about Extension English..

Kinda nervous about it. My brother actually told me to do it instead of SOR and I thought he was out of his mind. But now from the information that you guys gave me, it seems like a subject that I would have a go at. I mean, what wrong with being creative?

(Since I'm doing Extension English, can someone correct anything I did wrong in my response? Thank you, much appreciated)

RQ

truestar92

HSC
so worth the pain
i found it hard the whole way through
but i stuck it out and did exceptionally well

ilikebeeef

HSC
*here comes anything BUT an English person*

It's a different syllabus to the advanced course. You only have 1 major topic area, and you study this for the year. You do need a greater command of language than advanced. However, it's basically the same sort of thing. Essays, creative writing, discussions etc. With your marks, you should be fine.
Yes very much so. They also expect you to be independent - you do (well at least I did) Independent Investigations which require you to read multiple books and then maybe present a speech on them.

Prelim Extension English is the best, its like the biggest release that you could get from typical work such as that offered in Advanced.
Lol I found otherwise.

it all depends on the person. Try it for a while, you can always drop if you don't like it later haha :]
+1. Very much so. People either love it, find it hard and like it, or think it's hell. I happen to be in the last category. But it does really take a lot of time - the workload was even worse than Advanced. I had 16 books for Year 11 English - if I piled them up, they would be over a metre high (literally). Most of them were for Extension. :rofl:

But one thing I found pretty good was the "Culture and Values" booklet (more like a textbook lol), the contents of which went into my general knowledge.

The rest of the course for me was like "wtf's going on lol"

Last edited:

itszen

HSC
Wow you guys make it as its too easy or something. Honestly, do you think i could do it considering i got just below a band 5 in the sc?( which means i got band 4 =[. ) English is a subject i quite enjoy and one of my strongest but last year i would sayi stuffed up big assessments and assignments and didnt really think 'creative' as i could for my story in the sc, which in turn missed out on that band 5 or even 6. What do guys think?

I've been also hearing around that english ext.1 is more easy then adv. english.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Wow you guys make it as its too easy or something. Honestly, do you think i could do it considering i got just below a band 5 in the sc?( which means i got band 4 =[. ) English is a subject i quite enjoy and one of my strongest but last year i would sayi stuffed up big assessments and assignments and didnt really think 'creative' as i could for my story in the sc, which in turn missed out on that band 5 or even 6. What do guys think?
Prelims EX1 is not easy at all in my opinion.

Tbh I don't know how good you are at English so I don't know. Sorry. You can try though, as long as you don't mind that it's a lot of work.

I've been also hearing around that english ext.1 is more easy then adv. english.
LOL hell no. :haha:

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC

Well no one says the school cert dictates your senior education. There have been lots of instances where people have even done really well in school cert, and screwed up in that subject in senior year (like me for one. ug, chemistry >>). Senior school english is very different from school cert english and there's nothing saying you won't do well in it just because you stuffed up sc. At least give it a go!
And lol, in contrast to ilikebeef above me, I actually have found EE1 a helluva lot easier than Adv. Lol. My marks in EE1 are a lotttttt better than my marks in Adv and I barely put in half the effort. Maybe that's just me. Guess it depends on the person lol.

ATAR_boy

HSC

Your SC Marks count for nothing. This is because I got 81 in my English SC, yet somehow I managed to get 95 in Adv. English and 47/50 for English Ext 1.

NOTE: If you enjoy English, why are you so worried about SC marks? :)

ATAR_boy

HSC
Well no one says the school cert dictates your senior education. There have been lots of instances where people have even done really well in school cert, and screwed up in that subject in senior year (like me for one. ug, chemistry >>). Senior school english is very different from school cert english and there's nothing saying you won't do well in it just because you stuffed up sc. At least give it a go!
And lol, in contrast to ilikebeef above me, I actually have found EE1 a helluva lot easier than Adv. Lol. My marks in EE1 are a lotttttt better than my marks in Adv and I barely put in half the effort. Maybe that's just me. Guess it depends on the person lol.
Okay, this person is correct, the way you interpret the course and how much you enjoy the course will determine how well you end up doing!

NOTE: Don't read too much into how hard EE1 is compared to Eng. Adv.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Okay, this person is correct, the way you interpret the course and how much you enjoy the course will determine how well you end up doing!

NOTE: Don't read too much into how hard EE1 is compared to Eng. Adv.
How can you interpret that EX1 is easier than Adv. Eng. from looking at a pile of books, most of which is for EX1?

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I've decided that if I don't get the teacher I want for Ancient History then I'm doing EE1. :p

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
How can you interpret that EX1 is easier than Adv. Eng. from looking at a pile of books, most of which is for EX1?
There is only two questions to answer in the exam, making your preperation more focused. Additionally, because there is only one topic you need to cover, studying is easier. Plus, less related texts to find and analyse.

wendybird

HSC
I've decided that if I don't get the teacher I want for Ancient History then I'm doing EE1. :p
Though, I was completely devo after my Modern History teacher left us (suddenly!) in mid-Year 11. He was one of, if not the top teacher we had, (senior HSC marker, lectures for HTA frequently, writes Modern Hist and Hist X textbooks), Oxford educated, all round amazing guy.

But then his replacement proved to be an even more amazing lady who I count as a good friend and mentor in addition to being a brilliant teacher.

Things change and sometimes don't turn out the way you intended. I never intended to gun for my ATAR with no maths or science for example. It just happened.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)