Extension French (Info answering the question "Should I do it?") (1 Viewer)

illin

Ill factor
HSC
true true
but lets not stray from the topic at hand
Is french ext. really worth doin
A lot of ppl say that alot of effort is needed and just for 1 unit, it is a lot...
I'm with chepas on this: if i go ahead and do 3u french and end up dropping it or it ends up not counting towards my UAI, it would shit me but then again would i put heaps of effort into french? Probably not

chepas

HSC
I'm not really knowledgeable on the caling thing, but apparently the scaling for frext is stratospheric, so that might be another plus. Small candidature so not much competition in the state, I can't remember if that's a good or a bad thing.

For 1 unit, it IS a lot of work, but it is very rewarding. I've bumped up an ancient thread cos it's got last year's people's thoguhts that expressed them more eloquently than I am. But it is really good in the opening-eyes-to-world, horizons etc.

It's been a lot of fun, especially if you love French.

It helps your Continuers along in extraordinary ways til it seems really easy compared to frext (sounds conceited but yes, that's how it enhances the skills etc... cf the syllabus things "Builds and develops skills learnt in the continuers course" or something).

In short, without hiding behind my rhetoric, I'd say it is worth doing.

(I really want to say a 'but', but then I'd be going around in circles again. :D)

muzzling

HSC
I agree with all above, ext French is fantastic. Although due to the workload, it should really be work 3 extra units in itself instead of one. Anyways, fire on ahead, it can get tiresome but so can everything.Totally agree on the ball-breaking front. Had HSC oral in early Sept and almost passed out from difficulty. The stupid jerk told me i couldn't take my 10 min notes in with me... ass..
Anyhoo, i say do it, even if you only do it for reasons of scaling. My brother did 5 units of history (mod, ext, anc) even though he hated history cos they all scaled well at the time, and he got 97.75... not bad huh? Scaling definately doesnt hurt.
Best of luck!

illin

Ill factor
HSC
I think its about a bit of passion
if u like/love french, go ahead and do it
I dunno if i'll do it though cause as i have said in a different thread there are many factors that influence this decision
Have fun with it though!

k_i_mm_i

HSC
Extension French

Coucou tlm!

Ready for Extension? I'm wondering if people actually learnt all of the things that were listed like..causative mood present past subjunctive cos my teacher was like...MEH :rolleyes: ....forget about it..they dont realli care anyway.

I'm pretty sure we're supposed to know them right? I mean, my class had to know the structures that were listed for jap ext. :) :cool:

chepas

HSC
Pfff... a good stock of vocab - present subjunctive can get us far, especially how to use it, but I don't think it could be that important. We probably do a lot of the 'higher order' grammatical stuff but just don't know what to call it!

Readiness - I REALLY need to review M+J.

Glad that Extract 5 was used last year - it was a crap extract.

malkin86

HSC
Bonne chance, extensioners! ;) Vous avez faire les devoirs bien, donc vous seraiez le reussitie! :)

muzzling

HSC
Oh poo, i wanted extract 5 for this year. I can bet my LIFE that they'll take a part of that monster extract for us, extract 4 i believe it is.. Oh dear, i really need to study for it, but pfft, i have a week.. Leave it to muzzling for last-minute studying.

Kimmi, please don't freak me out with that "causative mood present past subjunctive " crap cos i don't have a clue what you're talking about. 3u French is more English skills translated into French than anything.. Ahh M+J, how i hate them both.

Who does Guediguian think he is, making us sit through a film like that, and having to study it too??? :D

i have art on wednesday, its enough to make me fall off my chair with hysterical laughter... i don't even consider it an exam..

So i assume we'll all be sharing study notes for this exam too, as with cont?

Bisous
x

omg_a

HSC
well i guess ill share study notes with...myself, seeing as no one does au revoir les enfants!!! so need to see it again. maybe today.

my teacher said by the beginning of yr 12 we had finished all the grammar for ext and cont in our cont class, so dont worry about it-coz unlike in continuers, content is really important. im not going to start until monday or sunday. we so deserve a break!!

k_i_mm_i

HSC
hey....but they only used a few shots from extract five, so they could actually give us the last shot rite?

I mean the 2002 exam was the question on Malek and Jeannette talking about the Ramadan thing, and that extract still has a lot more in it like, Justin talking to Malek...about religion etc...So, just because they've used a part of the extract doesnt mean they can't use the rest of it, yeah? - or am i just one confused person?

Anyways, predictions on the questions for the writing, I'm thinking it's gonna be more general, don't trust me but that's what I think. So questions like: Humans cannot live alone or Everybody learns from their mistakes.

And plus, revise dialogue. We got asked that in Japx

kelboo

HSC
Ok a little birdy told me that it is no way near at the difficulty level of the trial.

so everybody stress less, apparently they're going easy on us !!! :)

Bonne chance alors

chepas

HSC
Let's hope kelboo's birdy is right!

Re: Extract 5. Huh? That's the crappest extract! What's with the dumb drunken moment of meaningfulness on the port of Marseille? Where are the issues? You can barely hear what Marius is saying (well, partly because he mumbles all the time :rolleyes: ) so it just makes for arghness. Plus it's a hard one! Well, I suppose it's not that hard, but it's just bloody long.

I really like Extract 4. I hope that it's in this year. It's such an easy one to do. If you think of it it's that microcosm of all the issues. All the characters are in one big party of unity in the ciment factory - belonging represented by Guediguian by this blaa bla bla. And in this scene of Extr. 4 we see many of the issues in the space of a few minutes. Belonging/Alienation (the community of them all), all the society issues raised by Caroline and her story about Heineken/Kronenbourg/Fischer and French-Dutch jobs, the prelude to Marius fear of 'committment' beacuse of his deceased kids - by the Dédé and Monique's and Malek playing on the crane and him being scared of them falling, and another episode of the coping with change when Magali moving to Paris for journalism is brought up again. All you could ever want :D.

I am VERY glad that there is no HSC Extension listening!!!!!!!!!!

Jazz Man Tim

Cannonball
HSC
yea i agree with chepas, extract 4 is so juicy! lol
so much to waffle on about, hope we get it.

gonna be easier than the trial? yay! i should do pretty good in it then

HSC Extension listening would suck we had one in the half yearly or something and i did ok in it but man it hurt my head! so complicated lol
ah well i think i need to watch the film a couple more times this weekend

muzzling

HSC
No way!! Extension listening would be fab-YOU-lous.. I went really well in that assessment earlier on in the year - admittedly its tough, but i guess i'm better at listening than i am amswering abstract questions like, "What do you think is better, a good family or a university education?" - like omg, how hard is that??
Enough ranting muzzling..
Ugh so tired..
I feel so useless now that 5 of my exams are out of the way. Needless to say, there are negative levels of motivation left in me. I seem to be going out of my way to avoid studying. If there was 100% motivation and the beginning of yr12, there is currently -47%..
I am such a bum. I just don't study.. I still have those 2 pesky exams to go, and the smart half of my brain is telling me to study, while the creative side is saying, "pff your'e practically on holidays, go nuts!!".. Am i schitzophrenic? :eek:

What to do, what to do..
Hmmm, i'm relatively tired, i might sleep. Hey there's something that'll pass the time...

Bisous
x

chepas

HSC
Actually I just realised that I got full marks for listening in the trial :rolleyes:. But it is freaking scary! I did worse in the Continuers listening in the trial than the Extension.

I have never made study notes. I don't know what to do! I just look over the old work that I did and do practice exams and stuff. I've never made a study note in my life. Is this normal lol :rolleyes:. (I still think my finest achievement in the HSC is never actually having read my Shakespeare text (Tempest - Imaginative Journey) and still doing better in the Area of Study than in the Modules!).

malkin86

HSC
muzzling said:
Ugh so tired..
I feel so useless now that 5 of my exams are out of the way. Needless to say, there are negative levels of motivation left in me. I seem to be going out of my way to avoid studying. If there was 100% motivation and the beginning of yr12, there is currently -47%..
I am such a bum. I just don't study.. I still have those 2 pesky exams to go, and the smart half of my brain is telling me to study, while the creative side is saying, "pff your'e practically on holidays, go nuts!!".. Am i schitzophrenic? :eek:
Don't worry.. I feel the same way as you do. One week until Geography, then I can go nuts.
;) I chucked a big tantie earlier in the HSC, and walked out of the house, got myself semi-lost, re-found myself and came back half an hour later. I then took out the brightest, most colourful textas I could find and drew a picture of a butterfly. Then I felt that I could do some study. And I studied. :D Now if only I could say this in French... ;)

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
malkin86 said:
I then took out the brightest, most colourful textas I could find and drew a picture of a butterfly
You draw butterflies eh? I like to go out onto the lawn and attack a canvas Jackson Pollock style. Really, really stress-relieving. ;) And pretty too.

chepas said:
I've never made a study note in my life. Is this normal lol . (I still think my finest achievement in the HSC is never actually having read my Shakespeare text (Tempest - Imaginative Journey) and still doing better in the Area of Study than in the Modules!).
OMG! Me either! I wouldn't know what to write for 'study notes'....They seem kinda pointless. I prefer to read over my essays and work books. And I never read any of the texts for english... I watched 'Clueless' and 'Frontline' a few times though... :p Just couldn't be arsed to try and read 'The Tempest' or 'Emma'.

In any case, you'll all be fine. I wouldn't have the slightest idea what you have to do, but I know you'll all go well. :uhhuh:

chepas

HSC
^^ That's brilliant!

Tanties are GOOD :D. Chicken Soup for the Student Soul....

Actually a section of the door to my built-in has a dent in it thanks to my fat old paw........ :rolleyes:

How does the exam format go again? I've completely forgotten! Is it:

Analysis on Prescribed Text (Part A?)
Response to Prescribed Text (Part B?)
Extended Responese (Section 2?)

or have I missed something?

It just doesn't seem that simple (simple by definition though!)...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)