Extension History '08 (1 Viewer)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
So anyone for the 2008 HSC doing History Extension? ;)

What case study are you doing?

Have you got any ideas for your major work yet?

HSC
do we get to choose oursevles? or does the class agree to do one thing? is it is the latter, i'm pretty sure we're doing elizabeth...

i'm not sure about the major work yet. classes start monday

X

xeuyrawp

Hello2U2 said:
do we get to choose oursevles? or does the class agree to do one thing? is it is the latter, i'm pretty sure we're doing elizabeth...

i'm not sure about the major work yet. classes start monday
Usually the teacher does whatever they're familiar with.

Justina

HSC
I'm doing History ext............i think - my stupid prinicipal hasn't got the course up and running yet although he did PROMISE me and another student that we'll be able to do it! :mad1: :mad1:
i do have doubts as to whether or not i'm capable, but i guess i'll just have to wait and see

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm starting tomorrow :D

Two people in the class only as well, and I think our case study is Elizabeth I.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Kujah said:
I'm starting tomorrow :D

Two people in the class only as well, and I think our case study is Elizabeth I.
Im jealous! lol

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Haha first lesson today. Got a stack of sheets on the syllabus outcomes, and an assessment sheet saying that our proposal is due Week 8 this term.

I've got some ideas in mind. Might make up a decision as the weeks go by, and then its time for formulating the question. Ideas at the moment include:
- Stalin
- Bombing of Dresden
- Richard the Lionheart
- Charles I
- Charles de Gaulle

Tonnes of researching historiography :/

Last edited:

ame2530

HSC
Hmmmm. im pretty sure we are doing Convict women.. *oh yay*
my major work proposal might be CiXi... but i dont know if its been too over done in past years... or Mao Tse Tung.

Gotta love asian history =]

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Am I allowed to do something that is linked to a topic of the Modern syllabus which I ain't going to do in my HSC year? I've asked my MH teacher (who taught Extension) whether or not I can do the Battle of Stalingrad, and he said its fine as long as we don't do the USSR/Russia topic. Probabaly going to talk to my Extension teacher soon.

Any suggestion/advice?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Kujah said:
Am I allowed to do something that is linked to a topic of the Modern syllabus which I ain't going to do in my HSC year? I've asked my MH teacher (who taught Extension) whether or not I can do the Battle of Stalingrad, and he said its fine as long as we don't do the USSR/Russia topic. Probabaly going to talk to my Extension teacher soon.

Any suggestion/advice?
You're allowed to do stuff that's covered in the MH syllabus as long as you're not actually going to study it at preliminary or HSC level, so you should be fine. (Bear in mind that Stalingrad is covered in both the USSR topic and the Conflict in Europe topic.)

cindiirella

HSC
well i know i'm doing the bush legend. i hope its not really boring. our teacher said she didn't want to lean towards modern or ancient history, so no one would be better than the other.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
You're allowed to do stuff that's covered in the MH syllabus as long as you're not actually going to study it at preliminary or HSC level, so you should be fine. (Bear in mind that Stalingrad is covered in both the USSR topic and the Conflict in Europe topic.)

mandathepanda

HSC
There are 5 of us and we'll be doing Elizabeth 1 most likely for our case study...we start classes on Tuesday. I am not sure what to do for my major...need to look into it asap...am looking forward to it:)

Kujah

HSC
N/A
MW closing in on the controversy on the bombing of Dresden. Sent David Irving an email and got a reply 20 minutes later :confused:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
Actually this advice is incorrect.

The wording from the syllabus is that you aren't allowed to do anything that is on any examinable syllabus for the SC or HSC (not just in MH). Anything from the Preliminary courses is fine.

"must not overlap significantly with the examinable content of any other School Certificate or Higher School Certificate course." http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/historyext_syl.doc p. 27

That being said - the way that a person approaches Stalingrad would have to be very narrow to be excluded with the way the MH syllabus is written.

Personally I steer my students away from anything at all mentioned in any syllabus but being at a small private school I know that the BOS pick on us a lot more during registration than happens at the big rich schools and the public schools don't have to go through that process at all. (Registration is where the BOS send inspectors to the school to go through all the programmes, assessment tasks, information given to students etc. At our last inspection they did check the topics for extension and said that they were ok but that they had been to schools that weren't applying the criteria correctly.)

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
So Dresden or Stalin would be okay? :)

Telekinetik

ça m'a fait du bien
HSC
We're doing The Bush Legend (God know's why, but I've given up on coming first in it now). I'm really stuck on my Major Work topic - something on Christianity, French History or the Holocaust is what I hope to study, though. But I seem to be wandering aimlessly about how to attack these topics. Does anybody have any interesting topics/views on these areas?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
cem said:
Actually this advice is incorrect.
:( Damn. Could've sworn you were allowed to do stuff in the syllabus that you didn't study. Then again, my ext hist teachers weren't really on top of all that, so they probably never communicated it properly.
Telekinetik said:
We're doing The Bush Legend (God know's why, but I've given up on coming first in it now). I'm really stuck on my Major Work topic - something on Christianity, French History or the Holocaust is what I hope to study, though. But I seem to be wandering aimlessly about how to attack these topics. Does anybody have any interesting topics/views on these areas?
I've been doing the bush legend at uni this semester and I think it's really interesting. Your mileage may vary, though.

As for your topics - the Holocaust could be interesting, although it could expose you to tons of anti-Semitic nutcases who say it never happened, which could be depressing. I'm sure it'd be possible to do something on the Irving-Lipstadt trial or something like that, although more on how evidence was used than on whether Irving or Lipstadt was right, as I think all serious academics support Lipstadt. I'm sure there is serious debate on other issues surrounding the Holocaust, though, you might want to see what you can find. Investigating holocaust memorials and museums could offer promising ground as well. (However, the holocaust is covered in the MH syllabus, so it might not be allowed, as cem points out. The holocaust syllabus point refers to 'origins, nature and aftermath' or something like that. Which never made sense to me, since you can't really discuss the holocaust's aftermath without going past 1945, the limit of the module, but BOS knows best, I guess.)

As for Christianity and French history, they're very broad, so think about the periods and events within them that you're interested in and see if you can narrow them down. In Christianity, are you interested in the actual time of Christ? (Could be too close to the Historicity of Jesus ext hist topic, though.) The development of the early church? The medieval papacy? (Really interesting! Innocent III is the most awesome twelth-thirteenth century pope ever.) The reformation? Etc. Do a bit of reading about the parts you're interested in and see what you can find. Same for French history.

Taskan

HSC
yep, theres about 10 in our class

we're probably doing JFK

i was thinking about the greek-persian wars, but i got a tip that the "causes of the second Punic war", so i'm doing some preliminary research atm

:worried:

RockStar23

HSC
There is about 19 in our class and the teacher is offering about 3-4 case studies to choose from. Even though he might not be comfortable with all of the case studies, he will bring in "guest speakers" [other teachers] who are more comfortable with the different case studies. He did it for this year's HSC and it worked out really well.

The 4 cases might be:
- Elizabeth I and the Elizabethan Age {modern}
- Napoleon - Reformer or Tyrant? {modern}
- Appeasemeny - Peace or War? {modern}
- Tacitean View of the Early Principate {ancient}

I want to do Elizabeth even though I do Ancient. I wish I did both but it clashed with Chemistry. :mad1:

As for the major work, well I was thinking about doing it about pirates. That may sound childish but I am really interested in them. However, I'n not sure I am going to find a lot of info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)