Extension history major work essay (1 Viewer)

Yada

Heya I;m really stressing out about a topic cos I need to hand in my question pretty soon. I know I want to do the Israeli Palestinian situation but its just so huge! Got any ideas on how to narrow it down??? Thanx heapsHeya I;m really stressing out about a topic cos I need to hand in my question pretty soon. I know I want to do the Israeli Palestinian situation but its just so huge! Got any ideas on how to narrow it down??? Thanx heapsHeya I;m really stressing out about a topic cos I need to hand in my question pretty soon. I know I want to do the Israeli Palestinian situation but its just so huge! Got any ideas on how to narrow it down??? Thanx heaps

!meeee!

melbourne during uni- sydney during holidays
you're going to want to take a look at the historiography surrounding an aspect of the situation. i guess that depends what you're interested in eg. the origins of the conflict etc
once you've chosen your aspect you might want to look at something like the reasons for different historian's perspectives of that particular issue
good luck!

sif not 99

id do a question on why israeli or palestinian sources write the way that they do,

the best way to get top marks is to do a question on historiography, i didnt and it kept me from getting 40/40 only 39/40 =(

B

Bambul

You can't do something that's in the syllabus for ancient or modern history, and Arab-Israeli conflict is in mod, so you have to be careful that it's not something that overlaps. That doesn't mean you can't do it, but make sure you check with your teacher that it is ok first (like what you're thinking about, not when you hand in your proposal).

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
does any know whether the word limit for the essay is created by your class teacher or the board of studies?? and does anyone else find the word limit to be MUCH too meagre!

Generator

HSC
N/A
As it isn't maked externally, I don't think that there would be a problem if someone did one topic if the modern topics were different...
But that would depend on the school, I guess.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Originally posted by sif not 99

the best way to get top marks is to do a question on historiography, i didnt and it kept me from getting 40/40 only 39/40 =(
pfft 39/40? You're so crap!!

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
yeah i think i'd be happy with anything over about 36...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
yeah Im aiming for over 35
I guess its better that ur ass is marked internally cos if you get like 39 or 40/40 you keep that mark cos you don't get buggered by scaling

malayz_angel

Thanx. And as for the word limit being meagre, at this point it would be pretty hard for me to write that much, having done barely any research. However as soon as I get on top of this, I'll definitely agree with you.

snakeoils

Why do I have this?
HSC
thats what school holidays are for :D
i mean HONESTLY, do we REALLY need a social life, or really, any kind of life at all?

freedom

yada,

I had typed this up about a month ago, but i remember being disconnected before it got through and saved it on my computer. Only now, after cleaning up useless stuff i save around I found it and thought i should post it up straight away.

so sorry for it being really late. but its only march you still have plenty of time. goodluck!!

----------------------------------

Hi Yada,

im sorry this is late....

I did my ex history paper last year on the area of Palestine and Israel.

I was also worried about syllabus constraints...I emailed someone from the HTA (the email address is available on their website) and described to them what I was researching etc and they replied saying it was fine a) because my modern class were not studying it, b) because my research area is not looked in as indepth in the syllabus and c) because i had a passion for it.

I did the new historians writing on the Palestinian refugees of 1948-49 and the interpretations of how they were expelled. Israeli history up till the early 1990s had been so extremely vague on this issue and it had maintained that the Palestinains had left on their own free will (on radio calls from local leaders!!). After 1993 huge archives were opened for the public showing that Zionist forces aims was an expulsion of Palestinians and it led to a re-writing of history so to speak. It caused major uproar as the governments and right-wing fascists refused to accept the new history. Thus I researched how the new historians writings have been interpreted in the political atmosphere.

possible topics:
a new historian- Illan Pappe is currently on trial and might be expelled from his univeristy- this would be interesting to follow....

- an MA student's research was stripped of its marks and declared viod basically. Teddy Katz was expelled in 2001 for writing on a massacre committed by zionist forces in a town of Mantura in May 1948- the basis for expulsion was that the student used Palestinian oral testimony as evidence.

Actually Prof Pappe himself believes that his strong stance and support of the Katz issue is what brought about the trial.

- you can also look at the conversion of the first new historian Benny Morris- he has since been dubbed the "darling of the right" after doing a great deal to open debate. his historical writing since his "conversion" has been dismissed and his fellow new historians have distanced themselves from him...that is an interesting topic on its own also...

please let me know what you have decided to pursure. I am pretty well read in this area and would be happy to advise you of some historians.

all the best! goodluck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)