• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Extension Japanese or not? (1 Viewer)

blitzacer

HSC
Just wondering if its worth doing extension japanese for year 12, when your current prelim marks are not so hot stuff...will i get totally raped and get my corpse kicked if i take it up? or should i just stay with continuers >.>...its either extension japanese or extension 2 mathematics...which is uncharted territory for a poor sod like me.

hk31

HSC
i did both ext jap and ext2 maths...
DO EXTENSION 2 MATHS!
... cos even if you end up getting a band E4 for ext jap...the scaling isnt that good...

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
It's not bad, and it's really interesting. That said, I'm a physics student now, and the kind of maths you do in E2 really is very interesting. If you enjoy your maths (and aren't just doing it for the marks) then definitely go for it (assuming your statement about "not so hot" prelim marks to be true). However if you find Japanese more interesting than maths, and you do well in English (this is crucial!) then I'd say JaX all the way.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
I find jap ext a lot better than just continuers... Although im at the bottom of my class (by one mark) i think its heaps of fun. All the stuff in continuers i already knew so it was really boring. But with ext, im finding that im really challenged by it.

I think no matter what you do, your going to find it challenging. Ext jap is good because it has set things you learn, continuers just seems to go forever. Ext maths is pretty good too.... but you have to be prepared for really hard sums and stuff.

My friend last year did both of them because our school time table allowed it. He liked both of them.

If you desperatly cant decide, your school should have a pathways option which allows you to do some subjects this year and some the next... takes longer but it might be worth it.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Generally, pathways is only for people who have major events in their lives prevent full time study - such as a promising career in sport or the arts, or a major illness. People who are capable of finishing high school in a single year should NOT take pathways - it's not designed for you, you'll get sick of it and drop out, or you'll get lazy etc.

Not to mention the high-end courses (such as Medicine) will take into account a longer than usual time of completion for year 12 - that effectively means that if you got a good UAI through pathways you STILL won't get in. Food for thought.

Wilmo, I notice you're going for BNursBA at USyd... do you realise that they're canning that course?

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
i should have mentioned that about pathways... i was thinking about other things. I think it would be good to have a career at the same time as school cause you'd be one up on the competition.

And yes i am aware of the cancelling of the stupid course... which i find annoying considering no other uni's offer the combined course.

But they havent taken the course off their website yet, and even if they do, its still a goal to aim for and should still get me doing work so if other oportunities arise i can take them :)

If not i have no future ;)

wenwen

i'd go for jap X~!
infact me doing jap X n tend to lean towards literal courses instead of subjects such as physics and chemistry <- the so called high demand courses ^^
but then....guess it's just me, since me not very strong in those fields ^^ me find language courses more enjoyable....
if u dunt like either subs very much....go for the one that would get u a higher mark(even if by a mark!) b^0^

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Japanese is officially the most popular LOTE subject in the HSC (according to one of last year's SMH articles about the HSC).

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
4u maths is lots of work. like the scaling is good, but you use up/waste so much time just doing maths everyday. it's constant stress but you do get rewarded in the end.
extension japanese is normal workload and it's more interesting. it's only stressful when the speaking exam pops around. i thought jap ext scaling was good compared to other subjects, obviously not as good as 4u maths which is one of the very best scaled subject.

anyway, basically you just need to choose between your sanity and like, lots of maths, everyday. it will CONSUME you i swear.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
To be honest I'm doing 4u material now, in my science degree. It's more fun when you have time to learn and understand it properly. I am enjoying maths. Just not tonight, because my exam is tomorrow morning.

|||卜卜脆|||

im doin it..im stuck with it.......im happy with it........
i hate the Japx oral exam though.............looks freaky~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mushroom_head

holey moley!
HSC
i reckon you should get AT LEAST 85% in your continuers exam to be able to cope with extension jap. It's not that it's really hard, but you need to know all your senior structures pretty much as second nature. Especially when you study Gotaifumanzoku. the language he uses can be confusing at times.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)