Extension Music anyone?? (1 Viewer)

ccgs_jono

hey...umm yeah I'm just wondering if anyone is doing Extension Music...if so, which elective are you doing? I'm doing Composition...but after watching Encore on Monday I'm completely stressing out!!! hehe ahh well...

chepas

HSC
Hurrah Ext Compo!!! I know, encore is really intimidating. This is gonna be my crappest unit, compared tot he stuff people do. I do compo for the 2U as well, which I am discovering is a very bad choice.

What sort of compo you doing? I'm doing an SSA/SATB choir thingy. I haven't touched it in weeks, actually. I've been a chronic lazy bum.

Has anyone actually chosen the musicology essay for their extension? Crazy soul.. hehe. :p

ccgs_jono

jaaaa....

:D sweet I was beginning to think I was all alone...lmao, sounds good aye. do you have a thematic concept yet or are you just going with whatever comes out of your head?? I'm composing a Bolero and a Tango for Cello and Piano...(maybe another instrument but I dunno yet) umm and focusing on the influences of Spanish Dance in Western Art Music (ie. Ravel, Piazzolla, Albeniz etc.) yeah...I've got my first assessment on it due next week...just gotta hand in my portfolio to show what I've done so far etc. I just hope it turns out ok :chainsaw: I usually end up scrapping it and starting again...and again...

chepas

HSC
That sounds really nice. I love the cello, such a nice sound. (nice vague opinion, lol.) Gotta love good ole Ravel's Bolero. The old 'standards' of the art-music world. Anyway, Yay for direction!

I've got t his thing on the Moon and the Sun - the moon is all sort of deathy and stuff, then the suyn comes out and all is well. I found a French poem (in Fr..hehe) I love by Alfred de Musset 'Ballade la lune'... very basic like 'It was in the brown moon, on the yellowed church tower. The moon. Like the point on an "I"...'

I bought a CD of Book 1 of Bach's "Well Tempered Clavier" a few months ago and I haven't stopped listening to it lately. I am going to do a fugue for the 2U elective and it's like, this guy was the master. Fugues rule. Maybe I should get rid of the choir stuff and do something like that. hehe. I wish I was still in a decent choir for inspiration and more aural sort of inspiration... but our school one is good to abuse for my own purposes, hehe.

For the recording, is your school making it a big deal? because my teacher's made it 15% of the internal assessment and I am going, what in the world am I going to do?!?! I wouldn't know where to start.

ccgs_jono

awesome sounds very contrasting! so have you decided on orchestration yet?? I was gonna do comp. for 2U elective but decided to do perf. instead...cos I found the best Viola piece! hehehe oi what are you doing for your Core Comp?? (lol I haven't touched that in...months............) ummm yeah my teachers are making a big deal about recording, but I'm lucky because we have a recording studio at school and a lot of talented musicians...so yeah I am reallllly grateful for that...

chepas

HSC
You have a recording studio!!?!?!?!?! Woah. Is it a performing arts high?

The core compo? Oh dear... That has yet to exist for me. I need to do some more listening to go "Hey, this sounds Australian".

For my choir stuff i am using the choir and just a piano thing. No 'orchestra' exists at school, barely a 'concert' band... lovingly over or underbalanced sections and complete beginners mixed with those of us who've been playing for ages (teacher combined junior and senior bands and it has just died in the proverbial...)

Neway, I better get to englihs, 1st period. ARGH. Maybe some crappy Aussie poetry to use for core compo will be there. But NOT Gwen Harwood (Mozart's cascading thirds in 'Alter Ego' my arse...)
Chpas :D

ccgs_jono

hahaha no it's not a performing arts high...but it's like the 7th best private school in Australia blah blah (don't judge me...lol) I have a scholarship..otherwise I'd never be able to afford to go there, so of course they HAVE to have a recording studio. Ummm crap...my Extension journal is due tomorrow...and I've only done half of it...ahhhhh and...it's worth 50%....heh....

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
I'm doing performance for ex. There's only two of us in our school doing it and we r both doing performance. Its been kinda hard for us coz our teacher went on hols for ALL of term one and we have had a bunch of subs who keep telling us different things coz they've got no idea!!! But at least i've picked my pieces and am learning em. Just wondering what other people are doing about accompanists, coz im yet to find some (esp. pianist and guitarist) btw i play the flute

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
ummm, well for 2u im doing:
Moonlight Mirage-Amanda Handel (for flute and piano)
Hindemith Sonata (1st mov.) (for flute and piano)
Pan-Roussel (for flute and piano)
And for ex. im doing:
Andante et Rondo (only Rondo tho coz otherwise its too long)-Doppler (2 flutes and piano)
Cafe 1930-Piazzolla (flute and guitar)
El Quintapesares (Latin American Folk song)-arranged by Trevor Wye (flute, piano, bass guitar and drums)
They are hard, but thats ok coz i enjoy playing them.

chepas

HSC
Originally posted by Lady_Melian
yeah i guess, but im doing performance for everything so thats why its whoa
Yeah, therefore you chose perf. for your elective in 2U? Cos two people did that last year and they ended up having about a 1/2 hour set in fron of the examiners!!! I'd be chewing my fingernails.

For 2U core performance, do we have to perform something from an Aussie composer from last 25yrs or any sort of contemporary composer of the 25yrs?

ccgs_jono

Oi! Excellent repertoire!
And umm anything in 2U Core must have an Australian Focus...hence the topic title 'Music of the Last 25 years Australian Focus', but..the weird thing is there are a lot of immigrant composers who are considered Australian Composers...so I suppose if you just get your music from the AMC you'll be fine!
I'm performing Ross Edwards' 'Enyato II' for Solo Viola and for 2U elective performance I'm playing Sibelius' Rondo for Viola and Piano...I'm really happy with them both...they're awesome pieces!

Lady_Melian

stary nights
HSC
What is your other topic for 2u (apart from Australian Music of the last 25yrs)? Our school chose music 1900-1945. Its got some ok flute music in that time period, so its not too bad. How many assessments do you have this year ? coz we dont have very many and i was just wondering bout the rest of you guys...

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
well for me, ive done all my assessments i think except my trials.. which are sorta like assessments...

i was wondering, is there an assessment for ext 1 music?? if so, wat is it usually on? im doing performance.. so will it be a performance assessment if there is one?

chepas

HSC
Yeh, there are assessments for music ext. For performances I suppose it's just a performance, (though I don't know if you have to do different pieces for each assessment and then what you will use for your actual HSC).

It's on the topic that you choose, like music in the Xth century, renaissance, or whatever the other extension topics are that you chose. There's no written exam, which I just came to realise and to great relief!

Last edited:

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
ahh i see.. thx 4 dat

haha now im curious.. does anyone play piano who's doing performance for extension music?

ccgs_jono

I just did my Ext Music assessment, I had to hand in my composition portfolio to date etc. generally there are two internal assessments a year for Ext, both are 50%. But some schools do things differently. I'd say for you, you'd have to perform your works...and then perform them again later in the year.
I'm doing the Romantic Period for my additional topic in Music 2 btw...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)