Extension Music anyone?? (1 Viewer)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
if piano's the hardest instrument to do well in, wats the easiest?

Josephine

HSC
I wouldn't say piano's the hardest instrument to do well in, more like brass instruments cos it's a bit hard to find repertoire in. Easiest I would say violin cos it's such a showy instrument.

I've got my Lmus :) And I'm playing first movement of the Mendelssohn piano trio in D minor for ensemble piece. How about you guys?

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
ohhh so ur good at da piano ehy? hehe hmmm do u no the two piano work by lutoslawski? the paganini variations one..? im doing that... would u no it? if so, is it good?

ccgs_jono

nah Piano is the hardest cos there are sooooo many people who play Piano for HSC performance, both 2U and Ext. so yeah...I've got my L.Mus in Viola and my A.Mus in Piano :) but I like composition much better...it's much more interesting than just doing performance after performance...so much practice, so little time.

Josephine

HSC
Nope, dunno that Lutoslawski work. I'm sure it's good though :)

Woah, diploma in 2 instruments Jono. I would never find the time to practise. Composition is fun when you're good at it ;)

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
its also fun when ur crap at it too lol :p

da teachers look at u and go "okaaay thats... very... nice!" hehehe

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
i take my hat off to you comp people... i could never do it, but i agree with Josephine, it's ok if you like it, its fun i suppose.

L. Mus and A.Mus's.... i'm feeling sooo outta depth. I suppose i could have been up there had i actually stuck to one instrument (I play piano, flute and now oboe which i'm doing for HSC) All I can say to everyone is, people think Music is a bludgy subject but we all know it isn't and the calibre of our candiature is outstanding... look at Encore!! Anything you do is an expression of your talent so keep with it!! :)

chepas

HSC
Yes - hurray for excellent candidature! So if we get a good ranking in our class we will probably get the same marks of the really good people who have the same ranking over the state, if we aren't that good (allowing fot this weird scaling thing!) (That makes sense at all?!?)

Good work on the Lmus and Amus ccgs! That's where the exc. candidatiure comes in... hehe. :D

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I wouldn't count on the scaling to automatically get us good marks...

But if you are an above average student, it's good to do extensions music cos your marks will be maintained and scaled up slightly... depends really. cept too many above average students doing the subject ain't good cos then the candiature quality goes down... oh i don't know!!! lol it doesn't really make sense though eh?

but its so good to see people doing LMus and AMus, pecially when you see so many people quitting music nowadays....

moon_styla

[16527th BoS member]
HSC
Originally posted by ujuphleg
but its so good to see people doing LMus and AMus, pecially when you see so many people quitting music nowadays....
why's that???

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
Well, you always hear people go, "Aw, i played keyboard/violin/trumpet/flute when i was in like grade 2/3/4/5/6/ but then i quit."

and its sad because music is a real gift and it takes discipline to get there. it's a dying art. not often today do you find real virtuosi and they are to be commended. thats why it so good to hear people doing LMus and AMus, because it means they are on the road to really mastering the art...

i'm just rambling now so i'll stop

HSC
Can somebody give me an outline of what you need to do to get your AMus/LMus?

I'm doing year 8 piano this year and I'm wondering whether I could intergrate the pieces I'd play for a diploma into 2U or Ext music course :}

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
you'll have to ask your teacher about that, and refer to the manual of syllabuses which unfortunatley is not availible on the internet.

HSC
Do you have to be up at Lmus or Amus level to go any good in piano performance for ext. musis? or music 2 for that matter...
?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
it depends really on your instrument. i personally believe to be competitive on piano at extension level you have to be LMus or AMus, simply because you have people from the Con and other really freakyily good people doing it.

i play the Oboe for example and competition is less in my field so it's not so vital that I'm incredibly good. It does of course, mean that what i do, i do well, which i believe is very much more important in the HSC. if you are at 5th grade, go in and play your 5th grade piece to the best of your ability. that is much better than playing a AMus piece and struggling with it.

HSC
so basically it is impossible to go well in piano unless you play Lmus or Amus level peices... darn

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
no so much impossible, but more like you aren't able to be considered "competitive" enough. for Music 2 i guess it's slightly better, then again it can be a whole lot worse, cos theres larger candiature and lots more people who are good but just don't do extension.

what is your repetoire like?

HSC
Oh ok thanks. I wasn't really talking about me i was just asking that hypothetically. Thanks for the info though :)

Last edited:

caroline86

Originally posted by Lady_Melian
I'm doing performance for ex. There's only two of us in our school doing it and we r both doing performance. Its been kinda hard for us coz our teacher went on hols for ALL of term one and we have had a bunch of subs who keep telling us different things coz they've got no idea!!! But at least i've picked my pieces and am learning em. Just wondering what other people are doing about accompanists, coz im yet to find some (esp. pianist and guitarist) btw i play the flute
i got my music teacher to accomp me (i play violin, he plays piano). it works well for me cuz he's doing it for free!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)