Extension Subjects = High UAI by osmosis? (1 Viewer)

RJ

HSC
I'm really sorry to be a pain with my questions, but if anyone can help me, I'd really appreciate it! I do 4 extensions - Maths, English, French and German.

Everyone just assumes that because I have quite a few extensions, I'll get a good UAI. My estimated bands are:

Maths - High band 5 (I had a shocker!)
Maths Ext 1 - E3
English - 5
English Ext 1 - E3
French - 6
French Ext - possibly E4
German - 6
German Ext - possibly E4

As you can see, my predicted bands aren't all that dazzling (although I am a pessimist!), but my school is in the top 15 and my worst rank is English (20/110) and I'm first in each of the language units

Is there any merit in what people are saying?

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I would say in the 90's :) If your language courses go well, and the others aren't too bad, I dare say mid to high 90's.

I envy you, you are so good at languages!! Extension French scaling is pretty good. can't remember what the german one is though. Are you a background speaker?

RJ

HSC
Thanks sugaryblue and Laz! No, I'm not a background speaker, but I guess you could say that languages are my passion. Because of a medical condition I have, I wasn't able to go on exchange, and everyone (teachers included) said that this would be detrimental to my HSC success. So, when I look at my ranks, I get a kick out of proving to them that hard work DOES pay off!

From what I've read, German Extension scales well, worse than Extension French, but generally better than Extension Maths and English.

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
I love languages too!

You see, I was going to do German beginners but eventually sacrificed it for physics (which this i don't regret)

However, I know that I am more of a language person than a science person.

It's a pity that you can't go on exchange because from what I've seen in your post, you really really have a talent for languages!!

What I regret though is not picking up Spanish or Italian beginners as well as not doing French Continuers at school (it's a complicated and long story ;) )

I wanted to do Extension French as well but my school teacher said that it would probably be too demanding for me. in another word: I am not good enough :( (I guess that's one of the reasons why i eventually ended up doing French at Open High School)
However, I know that I would get a sooo much better rank at my home school (eg 1st instead of slightly late 20something out of 60something). If my moderated assessment mark is a lot lower than my HSC mark, I'll shoot myself for it! :rolleyes: I guess that may or may not be one of my regrets for 2003.

Huy

HSC
N/A
RJ - you're kicking butt there!

Get ready to be surprised (positively, in a good way :D) when the UAIs are released ;)

RJ

HSC
sugaryblue - I really feel for you with your dilemma re French. It doesn't seem fair that what you want can be influenced by other people and logistics, does it? I had to do a bit of jumping up and down myself to make sure that my school kept my Ext French class open because people kept dropping out. I hope things work out for you, so that you won't regret French - btw how many units have you done?

Originally posted by Huy
RJ - you're kicking butt there!

Get ready to be surprised (positively, in a good way :D) when the UAIs are released ;)
Huy - that's so sweet of you, you have no idea how much that boosts my confidence (I have ext German on Friday!) Thank you so much!!

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by RJ
Huy - that's so sweet of you, you have no idea how much that boosts my confidence (I have ext German on Friday!) Thank you so much!!
That's cool, not a problem.

I was feeling a bit down before my Extension Eng exam (friday), since I didn't go too well in Chemistry.

You know what you're capable of, what you can do, what you know and of course, where you're weaknesses lie.

Just do your best, study for a few hours, take a break, and RELAX. Watch a bit of TV and keep healthy/eat well, then have plenty of fluids (if it's hot) and get a good night's rest.

You'll ace it, the way you're going :)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by RJ
sugaryblue - I really feel for you with your dilemma re French. It doesn't seem fair that what you want can be influenced by other people and logistics, does it? I had to do a bit of jumping up and down myself to make sure that my school kept my Ext French class open because people kept dropping out. I hope things work out for you, so that you won't regret French - btw how many units have you done?

Thanks, mate! otherwise I'll smack myself in the head.

I do a shocking 14units. coz I am not very good at them so I'll take my chances. LOL

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sugaryblue
I do a shocking 14units. coz I am not very good at them so I'll take my chances. LOL
Maybe I've said this before,

(Did you have a little hello kitty thing in your signature? with some guy in black and white? Square kind of signature with girly stuff in it LOL)

Anyway, I do 14 units too! *high five*

Maybe I've said *that* before as well, in the Ext2 Eng forum (I think that's where I saw your old signature)

:)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
Maybe I've said this before,

(Did you have a little hello kitty thing in your signature? with some guy in black and white? Square kind of signature with girly stuff in it LOL)

Anyway, I do 14 units too! *high five*

Maybe I've said *that* before as well, in the Ext2 Eng forum (I think that's where I saw your old signature)

:)
Yup that's me! *high five*

how cool! I remember you! but what subjects do you do?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Yup that's me! *high five*

how cool! I remember you! but what subjects do you do?
Your nick kind of looked familiar, but I remember a different avatar and signature, so I had to ask again.

I do:
(taken from profile)
English (Advanced),
English Extension 1,
English Extension 2,
Mathematics,
Mathematics Extension 1,
Physics,
Chemistry,
Information Processes & Technology,
Studies of Religion I.

I do a shocking 14units...coz I am not very good at them so I'll take my chances. LOL
I suck at all of mine too, so it's okay :D :)

sugaryblue

Living on deficit
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
I do:
(taken from profile)
English (Advanced),
English Extension 1,
English Extension 2,
Mathematics,
Mathematics Extension 1,
Physics,
Chemistry,
Information Processes & Technology,
Studies of Religion I.

coolies. I am quite nervous about Ext 2 english results. argh!

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
13 was enough for me! I'm also so anxious about ex 2 english... you really throw yourself in to your major work, and I don't want to be brutally cut down by the BOS or anything!

RJ

HSC
Originally posted by freaking_out
I don't know what u mean by "osmosis" though. :mad1:
I meant that even if you had someone who was not very capable at all doing an extension, just by enrolling in that particular subject, and not doing well at all, simply because it has the title "extension", they will do well - i.e. even if I'm not strong in Maths and English extension, will I still fair better because they're better scalers - sorry I confused you!

Lolliana

i cant believe you guys had to fight for your class, there were only two of us in my extension class, and before i joined up, it was going to run with just one student!

on the down side however, we did have 1 less period then normal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)