Extension (1 Viewer)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
I was thinking, there's extension math, english, history and music, why not science? I think there should be an extension science course. We should start a petition.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Good question, I guess just university level stuff, research skills and stuff, just things to prepare you more for Uni level science.

Edit: If anyone has ideas post them and ill email the board.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I was thinking, there's extension math, english, history and music, why not science? I think there should be an extension science course. We should start a petition.
Back in the 1990s there were a number of 3 Unit courses but I don't remember them being in the scienes - English, Maths, both Histories, Geography, Economocs, Music etc but when they did a review of the High School curriculum, besides making Australian History and Geography compulsory for the SC and moving the exams back into November they also did away with the 2 unit courses for all subjects, initially excepting Maths, English, Music and languages but Bob Carr was convinced by the HTA and his own love of History to allow an Extension History course.

They also did away with a huge range of general courses but kept Senior Science (changed the name but kept a general course none the less) which courses like the histories lost so there was a trade off - extension history for general science.

Petitioning the board won't get very far with the National Curriculum in Sciene (along with English, Maths and History) only a couple of years away - 2011 or 2012.

Last edited:

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Petitioning the board won't get very far with the National Curriculum in Sciene (along with English, Maths and History) only a couple of years away - 2011 or 2012.
Oh fair enough.
But still any ideas? I'd like to see what people want to learn about on BoS, cos there's some pretty smart kids on here.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
yes pls, so would have done that course and done uber well!
Same. I think its unfair that its only available to accelerate students and its practically distance education. Introduce it as a 2unit subject.
Wouldn't mind seeing extensions of the 3 main sciences now.
For example extension biology could cover genetics and say human evolution in great depth, extension physics could have astronomy or astro physics in depth etc etc.
Pretty much just the options but in far greater detail + include a research project or major work.

shuttle_bus5

HSC
or extension you just do another two options!
I didnt even think of that. Thats such a good idea!
But having extension history is unfair imo.
Few students do history compared to the 5 sciences, and lets face it, history isn't the most valuable course for pursuing tertiary education compared to the 5 sciences.

Last edited:

pman

Banned
HSC
I didnt even think of that. Thats such a good idea!
But having extension history is unfair imo.
Few students do history compared to the 5 sciences, and lets face it, history isn't the most valuable course for pursing tertiary education compared to the 5 sciences.
soooooooooo true

Matt2233

HSC
Extension science:

The students must learn two option topics from either the chemistry, physics, biology or earth syllabus. The chosen options must not be the options learnt in the 2 unit course and must be from two different subjects, ie you may not choose 2 chem electives.

In order two persue an option topic, the student must be doing the 2 unit course. This therefore restricts the subject to those doing at least 4 units of science (excluding senior).

In addition, the student will endeavor on a major work, going throgh the stages of scientific investigation in greater detail then the junior course. There chosen topic must be relevant to the hsc courses they are enrolled in and of an advanced level.

lynton

HSC
In extension, it should have four compulsary options, Biology, Chemistry, Physic and Earth and Environmental science, in which it goes into greater detail. Eg Biology should have greater detail in genetics, the human body and its processes (ie more depth in communication); evolution etc. Chemistry should have the same options as we do now but just explaining how it works more, ie greater detail. Pretty much more detail in Physics and EE, in which we learn more about the earth and its processes. I believe we should do a major project in which we have to conduct a scientific experiment/ report on any scientific related thing we want. So we have to do an experiment and write it up the way we have been taught to do in normal science eg Aim, equipment, hypothesis, method, results, discussion, conclusion..etc.
It should be an extension of all the sciences we have now.
We should pretty much learn university science aka B science???

Last edited:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
No! No extension science courses. This would open up the doors for even more ridiculous scaling to favour the science courses. Let other courses experience the opportunity to extend students, let other courses pull students out of their comfort zones and actually let people enjoy subject areas they WOULD like to extend themselves in and actually be rewarded through some decent scaling.. I refer mainly to things like history extension and music extension, as opposed to maths - I really think extensions in subjects like history and music should be further promoted, as they are definitely valuable in terms of developing a wide variety of skills in students.

Matt2233

HSC
No! No extension science courses. This would open up the doors for even more ridiculous scaling to favour the science courses. Let other courses experience the opportunity to extend students, let other courses pull students out of their comfort zones and actually let people enjoy subject areas they WOULD like to extend themselves in and actually be rewarded through some decent scaling.. I refer mainly to things like history extension and music extension, as opposed to maths - I really think extensions in subjects like history and music should be further promoted, as they are definitely valuable in terms of developing a wide variety of skills in students.
So your basically saying that because science courses are deemed more difficult (hence higher scaling) it should not be allowed an extension?

In that case, we should cancel the math and english extensions cause there 2 unit subjects have high scaling and introduce 4 unit dance and Hospo so we can cater to the minority...

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Scaling has absolutely no affect if you do well.
Obviously someone failed the humanities?

Let the sciences extend and push students. History already has extension. It's time the science kids got their fare share.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Maybe we can have mathematical Physics from now on...

Lukybear

HSC
There was a extension 4unit for science before, and basically it just combined all 6 units of science, phy, chem and bio into 4units. Apparently it was extremely difficult to complete and hence scrapped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)