extra 10 points from UTS (1 Viewer)

crazysambo

HSC
hey guys, i got 75.35 for my UAI. but my subjects were, physics, chem and ext 1 maths. so does that mean if i get accepted to UTS ill have 81.35, if i do get the 81.35 i'm still short of teh 85 for B mechanical and mechatronics, so will it be likely that i will get some of those 10 points to pull me through.

PS i filled out the questionaire, if you want to read what i wrote as my answers i can send it to you. also i did DT and when i went for my FEAS interview at UNSW, the guy said he could clearly see i had engineering in my thinking from what he could see from my major work for dt, my major work can be seen at www.stealthdesk.com, so is it possible to set up an interview at UTS to show that i am motivated and maybe show how much i really want a place at UTS?

all help is greatly appreciated

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
Are you talking about the HSC Bonus Scheme?

"The maximum number of HSC Bonus points you can be awarded for each UTS course (except Engineering) you have down on your UAC application is 5. Engineering courses have a maximum of 6 bonus points."
- http://datasearch.uts.edu.au/study/hscbonus.cfm

Talk to Musk and see what he knows about the possibilility of scheduling a chat with some UTS people.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
No. If you get acced to UTS with a UAI of 73.35, it means that 75.35 will be the lowest accepted UAI to that course. While the cut-offs change from year to year, I'm afraid I've never seen a ten-point increase or decrease or anything as remotely dramatic in a metropolitain university, especially in a faculty such as the one you'd be studying in.

There are a few systems in place to aid students under certain conditions, such as the Rurual Assistance Scheme, which givesadditiona UAI points to students from regional areas. However, if you are eligible for such bonus systems, I belive the points are automatically added to your UAI.

I doubt it would be possible to arrange for such an interview with UTS. Universities are pretty strict about sticking to their admissions policy; if they accept you based on an interview, then they'd have to do the same for everyone else. A lot of people really want to go to unversity, but it doesn't always work out. The UAI usually reflects the level you need to be at (though this is not always the case in metro unis; they're often based on couse popularity as wel) in order to be able to do the work. In short, they won't make the offer.

While this might look like doom and gloom, there is still a remote possibility you might make it: if you miss out on a first-round offer, you can re-apply for later rounds. If UTS fails to meet their quota of students for the course, they will lower the UAI to allow more students in, thus making up the numbers. But with a ten-point difference between your UAI and the cut-off, you're going to need to start praying to your dear and fluffy Lord, because a ten-point drop is a fairly substantial one and UTS would only lower their cut-offs if they absolutely had to.

I have no idea when offers are made, but this is the only advice I can give to you: have a Plan B ready just in case you don't make it. Start looking at other universities and see if they have anything similar. You may not like the idea because they don't have the reputation of UTS, but I'll let you in on a secret: employers won't give a shit where you got your degree. That you are able to do the work is all they care about; it's the skills you have that count.

imprsiv

HSC
Me and my mate got 77 and 75.95 respectively and already got an offer from UTS cause of our questionnaire. just wait mate you should get a fone call or be offered in the main round easy.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Delete this post, its filled with rubbish.

UAIs are fake, and engineering never gets full EXCEPT FOR CIVIL
Hey, I can only go by first-hand experiene ... and I don't go to UTS, thank the stars.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Then focus on what you know
Don't blame me, blame UAC. They're the ones who have mae me redundant by changing how these things work.

crazysambo

HSC
umm hey sorry about teh late reply;

umm yer i really want to go to UTS, i went to teh advisory day and i talked to a professor from electrical engineering he was helpful, he said that if worst comes to worst just go to UWS and then transfer after 1st semester. so if need be i may have to do that

btw thanks for your replies

bttrflyeffect17

HSC
ok
sorry if this is a reallly obvious question, but i was reading through all the info on the bonus point scheme at UTS, and it never seems to actually clarify what 'points' are.
does it mean that my UAI of 94 would be considered as 99 (i want to do visual communications and got a band 6 in art), or does it mean it would go from 94.00 to 94.50?
thankyou!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
bttrflyeffect17 said:
ok
sorry if this is a reallly obvious question, but i was reading through all the info on the bonus point scheme at UTS, and it never seems to actually clarify what 'points' are.
does it mean that my UAI of 94 would be considered as 99 (i want to do visual communications and got a band 6 in art), or does it mean it would go from 94.00 to 94.50?
thankyou!
94 to 99.

fergo1988

HSC
well obviously it is possible to get 9.05 points. since i got into a double degree engineering and science and its 9.05 points above my UAI. so how that works. whatever, i got in so i dont care about asking questions.

so u got hope buddy, unless u have already not been offered a place. meh. oh well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)