extra time in exams (1 Viewer)

ar3nbe

HSC
I been wanting to get this of my chest for a while now. Extra time for certain students. I think its totally uncalled for that these students get extra time in HSC exams. Im not trying to me rude, or mean, or cold hearted here, i just think it disadvantaging thost students that have less time.

To put into context, its like me sayin "Hey, i cant remember all my formulas for maths, im going to bring them all into the exam". OR, me going to try out for a football team, and during the fitness test, the coach makes me run 200m because im not fit, and tells other people to run 1000m. It dosnt work, if i want to improve, i need to get better.

Whats more, and what really annoys me, is that one particular studnet at our school, whose coming first in 2U Maths, third in 3U, and top 10 for everything else gets extra time. What the hell for. Did anyone stop to think maybe his doing this well because he has the extra time. Theres another studnet, coming first in ext english, and he types his essays. If only i was allowd to type, i could type twice asmuch as i write.

Now look, the way i see it, everyone should be treated the same, dosn't matter if someone has A.D.D., or bad handwriting.

I didnt write this to affend anybody, infact, ive had extra time once (due to an injury), but i think there is a serious flaw in the system. I would love to hear peoples coments on this.

tennille

HSC
I have to agree with you. There is no excuse for typing essays, even if it is bad handwriting. They need to learn to fix their writing, etc. But do these people have more problems than that? These students might have more problems than what there appears to be.

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
ar3nbe said:
I been wanting to get this of my chest for a while now. Extra time for certain students. I think its totally uncalled for that these students get extra time in HSC exams. Im not trying to me rude, or mean, or cold hearted here, i just think it disadvantaging thost students that have less time.

To put into context, its like me sayin "Hey, i cant remember all my formulas for maths, im going to bring them all into the exam". OR, me going to try out for a football team, and during the fitness test, the coach makes me run 200m because im not fit, and tells other people to run 1000m. It dosnt work, if i want to improve, i need to get better.

Whats more, and what really annoys me, is that one particular studnet at our school, whose coming first in 2U Maths, third in 3U, and top 10 for everything else gets extra time. What the hell for. Did anyone stop to think maybe his doing this well because he has the extra time. Theres another studnet, coming first in ext english, and he types his essays. If only i was allowd to type, i could type twice asmuch as i write.

Now look, the way i see it, everyone should be treated the same, dosn't matter if someone has A.D.D., or bad handwriting.

I didnt write this to affend anybody, infact, ive had extra time once (due to an injury), but i think there is a serious flaw in the system. I would love to hear peoples coments on this.

i believe the same as u ar3nbe but if someone has a genuine and i mean genuine reason eg A.D.D. which is Attention Deficite Disorder they should be granted the extra time or the rest breaks or if as u were given it for and injury they should be granted also though the board of studies should review the policy as i know some kids who abuse it.

eg. a kid has "anxiety" he has an uncle whom is a doctor the uncle is gonna do wats best so he got a certificate saying this and was granted them.

i am a special provisions user. though they were granted to me for my back problem and my add. although i didnt get extra time i got a pc to type bcoz i cannot write at current due to a shoulder injury and rest breaks

cheng

HSC
ye i totally agree...rigged system...sif u need extra time

if ur dumb..ur dumb too bad...it jus means u gotta work extra hard

jus like wat arenbe sed...say ur competin in the olympics...should u get an xtra start in a sprint coz ur slow or sik? noo...if u sik...dun run..or do wat u can do best
jus like exams...its a rigged system

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
cheng said:
ye i totally agree...rigged system...sif u need extra time

if ur dumb..ur dumb too bad...it jus means u gotta work extra hard

jus like wat arenbe sed...say ur competin in the olympics...should u get an xtra start in a sprint coz ur slow or sik? noo...if u sik...dun run..or do wat u can do best
jus like exams...its a rigged system
thx cheng but go eat spaghetti.....the board of studies cant say no coz u got a dissability. its called descrimination. they would get sued by thousands coz they descriminated against those who where dissadvantaged.

ar3nbe

HSC
Warning: I warn people, this following coment is heavily on a sterotype, i understand not all people fall into this catagry.

I find it funny how many so called 'disadvantaged' have been crying to equal opportunity, and a fair go for many years now. But yet, they are gaining an advantage. Equal opportinity,pffttt, i think not. Ironic, well, hell ye

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
ar3nbe said:
Warning: I warn people, this following coment is heavily on a sterotype, i understand not all people fall into this catagry.

I find it funny how many so called 'disadvantaged' have been crying to equal opportunity, and a fair go for many years now. But yet, they are gaining an advantage. Equal opportinity,pffttt, i think not. Ironic, well, hell ye
if its a GENUINE reason for them why not allow it.....not extra time or computers but why not rest breaks for if ur injured or something or why not separate supervision or a writter as they call it so that u may write ur exam if u are injured??

cheng

HSC
qoutn arenbe

dat jus says it all alex london...go eat some souvlaki...

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
cheng said:
qoutn arenbe

dat jus says it all alex london...go eat some souvlaki...
nah not that one m8 and learn to quote u fool

cheng

HSC
its also the fact dat by allown xtra time ..even if its a genuine case...it allows many ppl to abuse dis sys...such as fakin injury or getin some1 u noe to write a dr certi..

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
If you have terrible handwriting or an injured hand/fingers, it's more common that you have a scribe who writes your essays for you.

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
cheng said:
its also the fact dat by allown xtra time ..even if its a genuine case...it allows many ppl to abuse dis sys...such as fakin injury or getin some1 u noe to write a dr certi..
das y as i said and i colored and bolded and underlined it should in the first place be genuine...although i neglected to say it the board should investigate the case further so as to see whether or not to grant it. though cheng dont u use learning support to help u with ur assesments???? couldnt that be an unfair advantage to us??

ar3nbe

HSC
Because its being unfair to the other thousands of people sitting the HSC. It is not a fair test, it is not equal between all parties. It does not give a true indication of a students ability to sit down for three hours straight and work (part of the challenge i believe). Anyone can work with rest breaks, heck, i can do an exam that lasts 24 hours provided i get rest breaks (1 hour every 5 mins :p).

As for a writer, apart from not showing you ability, and how much you could write (yes i know, quality not quantity, but imagine, 20pages of quality :D). I would be cheering if i had a writer that was a speed freak. Furthermore, who said these writers dont actually help you out on your exam, if your allowed to talk to each other, whats the guarentee that the writer isnt doing half the exam :cool: .

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
ar3nbe said:
Because its being unfair to the other thousands of people sitting the HSC. It is not a fair test, it is not equal between all parties. It does not give a true indication of a students ability to sit down for three hours straight and work (part of the challenge i believe). Anyone can work with rest breaks, heck, i can do an exam that lasts 24 hours provided i get rest breaks (1 hour every 5 mins :p).

As for a writer, apart from not showing you ability, and how much you could write (yes i know, quality not quantity, but imagine, 20pages of quality :D). I would be cheering if i had a writer that was a speed freak. Furthermore, who said these writers dont actually help you out on your exam, if your allowed to talk to each other, whats the guarentee that the writer isnt doing half the exam :cool: .
breaks work on a for every half hr u get 5 mins...so for a 3 hr exam u can take up to half hr AWAY from the exam...so that means u put your pen and paper down and walk outside the room this is given to those with injuries that cant be left in the same position for long periods of time

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I know someone who gets extra time... 10 MINUTES PER HALF AN HOUR... but thats because shes partially hearing impaired in one ear. But the thing is, shes coming first in all her subjects...
Just coz shes a bit deaf doesn't mean shes dumb!
That extra time enables her to write so much more than normal people.
I.e. she gets 4 hours for her HSC and trials...
i think thats unfair considering shes so smart.

ar3nbe

HSC
alex_london0 said:
das y as i said and i colored and bolded and underlined it should in the first place be genuine...although i neglected to say it the board should investigate the case further so as to see whether or not to grant it. though cheng dont u use learning support to help u with ur assesments???? couldnt that be an unfair advantage to us??
No, it isnt an unfair advantage, simply because everyone is given the opportunity to get some help from the learning support staff. Its you fault, if you dont decide to go ask for this help. Its not like extra time, where everyone is offered and extra 5 mins.

Just making sure we all know the difference. Also, isnt tit good that he is going out of his way, taking his own time to try to do well. I think it is, hats of to him.

Sydney, Australia, Earth, Milky Way...............
HSC
OK, it's unfair in some instances, but I think we should also remember that (from what I've been told anyway) if you get your breaks/extra time/a writer, you have your condition printed on your HSC results or something like that, which is why apparently some people with ADHD sit down and do the HSC like a normal person, because they don't want the stigma when their employers see their results. I reckon in most cases special help would probably be a last resort, and some people genuinely have special needs.

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
goan_crazy said:
I know someone who gets extra time... 10 MINUTES PER HALF AN HOUR... but thats because shes partially hearing impaired. But the thing is, shes coming first in all her subjects...
Just coz shes a bit deaf doesn't mean shes dumb!
That extra time enables her to write so much more than normal people.
I.e. she gets 4 hours for her HSC and trials...
i think thats unfair considering shes so smart.
i agree with you wat has hearing got to do with writing???....if ur injured fuked up in the head or just fkn slow get ur rest breaks.......or ur separate supervision. but dun take extra time if dont need it

Haku

i hate that people get extra time, especially in english and because of someshit ass made up condition

a person in our year get 10 extra for every hour cause of a so call approved phyciatrical disorder of wanting to write the same thing twice, or so repeated.
than one time i was looking at his book and essays he does for test its all neat and no crossing or writing shit twice, and he gets 20 min extra...how shit is that

pisses everyone off in our school. note* the guy is a loser, like a serious one, (wat do u call someone that is racist again their own race?) <--------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)