extra time in exams (1 Viewer)

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
ar3nbe said:
No, it isnt an unfair advantage, simply because everyone is given the opportunity to get some help from the learning support staff. Its you fault, if you dont decide to go ask for this help. Its not like extra time, where everyone is offered and extra 5 mins.

Just making sure we all know the difference. Also, isnt tit good that he is going out of his way, taking his own time to try to do well. I think it is, hats of to him.
yes but not all students know about the learning support staff being able to help and no it is not available for all students. u have to either be a good actor or truthfully in need of the helpo for them to help you as they do look back at your report to see if u need it

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
alex_london0 said:
i agree with you wat has hearing got to do with writing???....if ur injured fuked up in the head or just fkn slow get ur rest breaks.......or ur separate supervision. but dun take extra time if dont need it
yeah she doesn't need it but takes it and writes more and also does the exam slower to take advantage of it.
Plus shes getting 5 minutes more per half an hour than the normal case of extra time people.
Plus she gets seperate supervised exam
and a dictionary as well!

scoby_2000

HSC
i asked my director of studies if i cud use a laptop for english coz i know if i had i wud of been able to finish the past 3 assesments...

i thought it wud b easy to do....fill out a form..."ok here it is...now just write u have 2 hours"

but instead i hav to fill out a like 8 page thing, write a 3 page essay to prove my hand writing is illegible!

i know for a fact people at my school that are not retarded and use their lappys!!

its soo unfair...i know if i had used a laptop i cud of got at least 1-2 marks for each assesment!!!

the dir. of studies preety much told me that i wasnt retarded and thus cudnt use a laptop

i then punched her in the head....wait no i made that up...

but yea i told her that i hav down syndrome (she looked at me wierd) and that she can look at my next exams to see if i can use a lappy for HSC

she also said that not being able to finish was no excuse to use a laptop

i was like....but....but....but and she was like get the fuck out!

so yea

thats my rant!

soooo gay!

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
goan_crazy said:
yeah she doesn't need it but takes it and writes more and also does the exam slower to take advantage of it.
Plus shes getting 5 minutes more per half an hour than the normal case of extra time people.
Plus she gets seperate supervised exam
and a dictionary as well!
das fuked up shit............like i got special provisions although i was given them because i have ADHD, aswell as a back problem and a fuked up right shoulder (i am right handed) although i was given the extra time etc i only took rest breaks for my bak and the comp coz of mah shoulder and i only us the computer for my two computer sourses (IPT AND VET IT) other than that i use a writer

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
i asked my director of studies if i cud use a laptop for english coz i know if i had i wud of been able to finish the past 3 assesments...

i thought it wud b easy to do....fill out a form..."ok here it is...now just write u have 2 hours"

but instead i hav to fill out a like 8 page thing, write a 3 page essay to prove my hand writing is illegible!

i know for a fact people at my school that are not retarded and use their lappys!!

its soo unfair...i know if i had used a laptop i cud of got at least 1-2 marks for each assesment!!!

the dir. of studies preety much told me that i wasnt retarded and thus cudnt use a laptop

but yea i told her that i hav down syndrome (she looked at me wierd) and that she can look at my next exams to see if i can use a lappy for HSC

so yea

thats my rant!

soooo gay!
evidence of someone trying to rought the system :rolleyes:

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
scoby_2000 said:

so yea

thats my rant!

soooo gay!

see its fukx like you that give us who have the provisions bad names......see dont post in the thread unless you have something important to say...like u was given them and u didnt deserve them

scoby_2000

HSC
nah i didnt mean to be like that

at first i thought that using a lappy was just like another option

like i thought anyone cud do it

but nooooooooooo

i dont care that i cant use it....i care that others can! (who are just as able as me!)

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
scoby_2000 said:
nah i didnt mean to be like that

at first i thought that using a lappy was just like another option

like i thought anyone cud do it

but nooooooooooo

i dont care that i cant use it....i care that others can! (who are just as able as me!)
well i retract my previouse statement...im sorry

scoby_2000

HSC
alex_london0 said:
see its fukx like you that give us who have the provisions bad names......see dont post in the thread unless you have something important to say...like u was given them and u didnt deserve them

*starts to cry* - i wasnt given them....i was just interested in them

*snivels*

cheng

HSC
alex_london0 said:
yes but not all students know about the learning support staff being able to help and no it is not available for all students. u have to either be a good actor or truthfully in need of the helpo for them to help you as they do look back at your report to see if u need it

err...dey neva lookd at my report...anyone can get help from dem...and everyone does noe about it..coz dey hav made announcments in assemblies sometime
sayn dey r open to anyone

timmay05

HSC
I have 3 provisions.

Toilet Breaks
Laptop
Rest Breaks

Reasons:

1. I have anxiety induced irritable bowel syndrome. I rarely have to use this provision, but it is there for if I have another set of anxiety attacks like last year.

2. I never learnt how to hold a pen properly, I hold it with 3 fingers and a thumb, and 4 fingers and a thumb are hyperextended when I hold it. I can not write, but it is not like a laptop is a cop out! In 40 minutes I may get down an extra 50 words on a laptop (compared to my hand writing). Plus it was only sought as a last resort, 7 months of occupational therapy had done next to nothing.

3. Two reasons, in maths I need to rest my hands. I also have adhd and I can focus for the length of the exam (90% of the time) however, you don't want me sitting behind you! Why? Because I fidgit, kick the ground, keep moving my position at the table! Consider this rest time which in 3 trial exams I have used 9 minutes of as time for me to not distract other people.

Yes there are people who abuse the system! You may say I am absuing the system. The laptop I need to be able to write essays. The others are there for incase I have another anxiety breakdown, or something like I forgot to take my medication (I do it alot). In 7 hrs of exams I have needed 3 minutes of toilet breaks, and 9 minutes of rest time. If thats an unfair advantage then I guess that is your opinion!

I personanly hate using a laptop, but I can't write by hand... so what else am I meant to do? I can't use a writer because stuff would be lost in translation, and extra writing time, to write legibly I would need an extra 10 minutes WORKING time per 30 minutes of exam. So the laptop was the best choice!

If you abuse the provisions you get then yeh, it sucks! If you use them as need be then it is okay!

timmay05

HSC
P.S. having the provisions means that also if I have an anxiety attack during HSC I can't claim it or forgetting my medication etc. as an illness/misadventure claim.

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
see i got em aswell for my adhd and my back problems...also the fact that i stufed my shoulder recently hasnt helped as ppl think i only "hurt" my self as they put it to get these proviisons. wat they never realised is that they were there before i hurt my self anyways

alex_london0

Lord Fatshit
HSC
if you have a disadvantage/dissordermutation or wateva you want to call it and it will affect the way YOU perform on your exam why not take the help to allow you a better opportunity and a better mark closer to what you are really capable of??

ar3nbe

HSC
timmay05 said:
I have 3 provisions.

Toilet Breaks
Laptop
Rest Breaks

Reasons:

1. I have anxiety induced irritable bowel syndrome. I rarely have to use this provision, but it is there for if I have another set of anxiety attacks like last year.

2. I never learnt how to hold a pen properly, I hold it with 3 fingers and a thumb, and 4 fingers and a thumb are hyperextended when I hold it. I can not write, but it is not like a laptop is a cop out! In 40 minutes I may get down an extra 50 words on a laptop (compared to my hand writing). Plus it was only sought as a last resort, 7 months of occupational therapy had done next to nothing.

3. Two reasons, in maths I need to rest my hands. I also have adhd and I can focus for the length of the exam (90% of the time) however, you don't want me sitting behind you! Why? Because I fidgit, kick the ground, keep moving my position at the table! Consider this rest time which in 3 trial exams I have used 9 minutes of as time for me to not distract other people.

Yes there are people who abuse the system! You may say I am absuing the system. The laptop I need to be able to write essays. The others are there for incase I have another anxiety breakdown, or something like I forgot to take my medication (I do it alot). In 7 hrs of exams I have needed 3 minutes of toilet breaks, and 9 minutes of rest time. If thats an unfair advantage then I guess that is your opinion!

I personanly hate using a laptop, but I can't write by hand... so what else am I meant to do? I can't use a writer because stuff would be lost in translation, and extra writing time, to write legibly I would need an extra 10 minutes WORKING time per 30 minutes of exam. So the laptop was the best choice!

If you abuse the provisions you get then yeh, it sucks! If you use them as need be then it is okay!

So, your tellin me when people have rest breaks, for whatever reason, that they NEVER think about there exam. Dont try to pull my leg. It gives a perfect opportinity to quickly plan something in your head. Now, i must be honest, it does look like you do need these extra benefits (yes i am calling them benefits), and its also clear that your not abusing them. But instead of just defending yourself, cant you see where i am coming from. I think you forgetting that you to are also being disadvantaged by all those who abuse the system.

Someone above said something about needing to do a writing test to prove they were a slow handwriter and what not. I think that is a bit unfair, considering that when i requested extra time due to a finger injury they didnt want to test me, a doctors certificate was fine. This leads me to my next point. If there isnt anything medically wrong with you, than you should be old enough to try to fix the problem. Your never to learn to old. Again, i think people are trying to take the easy way out of things.

But, at the end of the day. Weather (whether ???) you abuse these benefits or use them because you must, it still dosnt dispute that you are gettin somewhat of an advantage than if you didnt use them (you cant dispute this, because if there wasnt an advantage, you wouldnt be doing it). What am i getting to ? Well im getting back to my original point. It is not an even guage of how the state is doing, therefore the HSC becomes biased.

timmay05 you said that you maybe got an extra 50 words by counting. Tell me anyone, and i mean anyone that would turn down the opportunity to write an extra 50 words in there essay. I tell you now, everyone would say yes. Keep that in mind. And also timmay05, everything i said wasnt directed at you as an individual, so if you please dont become offended. As i said before, i didnt start this post to start a war or anything, jst an exchange of ideas, and what i think, a system that simply dosnt work.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
Tennille said:
I have to agree with you. There is no excuse for typing essays, even if it is bad handwriting. They need to learn to fix their writing, etc. But do these people have more problems than that? These students might have more problems than what there appears to be.
look, you have to be approved for special exam conditions. for the typing thing you have to submit two pieces of writing, one typed and one handwritten, each done in 30 mins - and they have to be signed by someone who was watching you do those pieces of writing and the board decides whether you should get it or not.
another thing I've been told you have to do it in notebook, so if you accidentally delete everything....

timmay05

HSC
ar3nbe said:
So, your tellin me when people have rest breaks, for whatever reason, that they NEVER think about there exam. Dont try to pull my leg. It gives a perfect opportinity to quickly plan something in your head. Now, i must be honest, it does look like you do need these extra benefits (yes i am calling them benefits), and its also clear that your not abusing them. But instead of just defending yourself, cant you see where i am coming from. I think you forgetting that you to are also being disadvantaged by all those who abuse the system.

Someone above said something about needing to do a writing test to prove they were a slow handwriter and what not. I think that is a bit unfair, considering that when i requested extra time due to a finger injury they didnt want to test me, a doctors certificate was fine. This leads me to my next point. If there isnt anything medically wrong with you, than you should be old enough to try to fix the problem. Your never to learn to old. Again, i think people are trying to take the easy way out of things.

But, at the end of the day. Weather (whether ???) you abuse these benefits or use them because you must, it still dosnt dispute that you are gettin somewhat of an advantage than if you didnt use them (you cant dispute this, because if there wasnt an advantage, you wouldnt be doing it). What am i getting to ? Well im getting back to my original point. It is not an even guage of how the state is doing, therefore the HSC becomes biased.

timmay05 you said that you maybe got an extra 50 words by counting. Tell me anyone, and i mean anyone that would turn down the opportunity to write an extra 50 words in there essay. I tell you now, everyone would say yes. Keep that in mind. And also timmay05, everything i said wasnt directed at you as an individual, so if you please dont become offended. As i said before, i didnt start this post to start a war or anything, jst an exchange of ideas, and what i think, a system that simply dosnt work.
Okay...

Well your first point. That is actually what it says you are meant to use it for on the colourful piece of paper the board sent back to me.

Even with the provisions I have been finishing exams early. It just allows me to not freak out, and lose concentration midway through. Anyway... off to maths exam, cya!

timmay05

HSC
Oh and... on the side of fixing the problem... I tried...

But I would need years!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
cheng said:
ye i totally agree...rigged system...sif u need extra time

if ur dumb..ur dumb too bad...it jus means u gotta work extra hard

jus like wat arenbe sed...say ur competin in the olympics...should u get an xtra start in a sprint coz ur slow or sik? noo...if u sik...dun run..or do wat u can do best
jus like exams...its a rigged system
The problem with this logic of time and etc, is that it still doesnt fix the problem that many people who get 90+ UAI are idiots anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)