"extract" - wrong word to use (1 Viewer)

sparkl3z

HSC
N/A
i reckonnn.........the wording in this paper 4 the questions was tragic...i rote about readings and productions and mentioned briefly two scenes related to them IE Act 1 Scene 1, and the last scene were they died, just anything about k.lear dat i cud remeber practically but my points werent exactly linked cuz i didnt understand da stupid qn!

nessie_lee

Povo Uni Student!
Knights territory.... and I'm a Doggies supporter!
HSC
Yeh the wording was shocking! That was the question everyone was asking as soon as they got out? What the heck did they mean by extract?.. our teachers seemed to think it meant scenes.... but i crapped on about absolutely anything and everything i could think off! hope i at least pass that bit, even that would make me happy!

Teleph

Look mum i'm a Starrrr
HSC
Extract !!! That was a shocker. I basically did 2 readings for Wuthering Heights and used it to explain some aspects of the two scenes.

From what i'm seeing in other threads...do u have to fully provide your own Interpreation? I simply wrote about Romantic and Feminist and how context changed the readings...nufing much about what interpretation i have towards the text.

princesssparkle

hi :)
theking lear question was finnnne. everyone stop stressing its over and done with anyway. the two extracts meant two key scenes and therefore you do use back up quotes. interpretations didnt have to mean your own personal thinking they dont want u to go " i went to a party and was talking to this drunk guy and he thought king lear was shit" no they want u to say the context of shakespeare and the context of today has changed. we understand society today and this therfore changes our viewing of the play. we are influenced for example a feminist reading as this interpretation is relevant to the social attitute of today with more power to women which obviously changes our view of the Lear and we see him as patriarchal and not being the "normal father figure". dont worry. we all answered it differently

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
miss_salty said:
lazarus took extract as a verb.
but in the context of the question, extract means a passage/scene.
that's what i think

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
!!STOP!!

now who told you guys that extract means productions!!

ITS OPEN TO INTERPRETATIONS!! thats what the MOD B is!!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
If people found the question hard, then we will get marked up for it, YAY!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Eagles said:
ITS OPEN TO INTERPRETATIONS!! thats what the MOD B is!!
No, sorry you're wrong. It's definately an extract from the play, otherwise you're not answering the question.

peeasoup

I reckon it would mean two readings. Thats too much involved in the question if it was 2 scenes. Then its your own critical interpretation, two other interpretations, the changing context and two key scenes. But i dont have to care, because I unintentionally used two scenes from the play in the answer.......
And you did need your own interpratation of the play, like, wat reading, and how you would direct it and stuf flike that...

carmenator

our class did citizen kane for mod b n there is only one production of it so i'm guessing an extract means just a certain scene or bit of dialogue

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
I don't think so.
At least i've never seen it before.

lilems13

Candypants said:
I don't think extracts meant productions; that's really not the right word. For a play like Lear, they should have specified, because you don't associate the word extract with a play all too often.

But I wrote about 2 scenes and 4 productions so I think I'm okay.
Thats what I did...well actually I talked about 2 key themes, in relation to two key scenes and 4 productions/interpretatins..

mikbo

extract = crappy word choice

i think we should all appeal. we should al receive 100% for this section because the word extract is too ambiguous when used in this sense.

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
I think 'extract' was a horrible word to use. They need to be more specific: refer to 2 scenes or quotes or whatever. Because when my teacher said it meant scenes, I was crapping myself, coz I though that 'extracts from the prescribed text' meant quotes from Lear.

After we were all dismissed, I discussed it with my friends, and those who thought that 'extracts' referred to scenes saw how it could also meant quotes. The same case with my teacher, who is an experienced HSC marker. He said that students will interpret this particular question differently, and HSC markers MUST take this into consideration - they had no set marking criteria beforehand; they must see how students interpret the question FIRST.

Using 'extracts' as the word is horrendous IMO. I've read past questions where it says 'refer to 2 scenes from the text', not 2 bloody 'extracts'.

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i think by using the word extract
they were just trying to make the question sound different
but they just made it harder for themselves i think

Wesnat

BCom
HSC
Too true, mizz smee. I think the HSC markers will have a helluva headache when it comes to this question. They have to consider both the students' interpretations to the question AND their interpretations to the text.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Everybody is attempting to define the term "extract" using Lear and the productions, but this was used for all text types in the module...

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
"Extracts" wasnt used for all texts, for the poetry texts it used the word refer to TWO "poems", in the speeches it said refer to TWO "speeches", ATSIC website said refer to TWO "sections" of the website, multimedia said two "hypertexts" and so forth

senso

Left BOS 11/04
HSC
N/A
Wesnat said:
I think 'extract' was a horrible word to use. They need to be more specific: refer to 2 scenes or quotes or whatever. Because when my teacher said it meant scenes, I was crapping myself, coz I though that 'extracts from the prescribed text' meant quotes from Lear.
I reckon it just means scenes or quotes. They are pretty much the same thing.
If you are reffering to a scene, then you are most likely gonna use quotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)