Extreme Nervousness About Modern (1 Viewer)

HSC
is anyone as extremely nervous about modern as i am?
there is so much to know plus i think i must have the worst program:
- WW1
- Russia 1917 - 1945
- Cold War

and does anyone actually know whow to write a history essay? i have no clue.

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Haha, yes i'm nervous just at the amount of possibilities, hopefully what i've prepared is good though. Essays are easy:

- intro (asnwer the question, introduce your points, try use a quote)
- bulk (your arguments, link back to question end of paragraphs, use sources/quotes for evidence)
- conclusion (conclude. ie. thus it can be seen germany was not a totalitarianism state. use a quote if possible)

raeraerae

HSC
I am sooo scared too there is no way that anybody could know everything!! There is wayy too much in germany and in indochina and then on top of that we have speer and world war 1!!! Its also so hard to remember points because you dont know if you can even use them in the essay because it could be on anything!

05er

HSC
That's the way you've gotta learn modern: be prepared for everything. Don't learn according to syllabus points: be able to talk at length about a question anyone could ask you.

raeraerae

HSC
How are you meant to do that?! I've done a few essays but they are all so different...

nwatts

HSC
05er said:
That's the way you've gotta learn modern: be prepared for everything. Don't learn according to syllabus points: be able to talk at length about a question anyone could ask you.
Well, I don't know about that. :)

There are certain tricks you can pull in order to minimise study. Example, in your national and conflict questions, the two choices are always split up into time periods. For Germany, it's usually a question from 1918-33 and then one from 1933-45 (sometimes changes). For Arab-Israeli, it's similar, cut off at the 70s.

You can get away with learning one half of the elective in significant detail, and the other half in far lighter detail. I don't recommend it, but if you're worried, you should be able to get away with it.

bind

haha yeah thats what im doing. im studying russia/soviet union and im basically just doing the first part..and not worrying about learning too much about stalins purges etc and all that stuff in the later years. like i understand what happened during that time etc, but i just feel more comfortable talking about the first years of consolidation etc. makes studying super easier for my brain also. haha

05er

HSC
nwatts said:
Well, I don't know about that. :)

There are certain tricks you can pull in order to minimise study. Example, in your national and conflict questions, the two choices are always split up into time periods. For Germany, it's usually a question from 1918-33 and then one from 1933-45 (sometimes changes). For Arab-Israeli, it's similar, cut off at the 70s.

You can get away with learning one half of the elective in significant detail, and the other half in far lighter detail. I don't recommend it, but if you're worried, you should be able to get away with it.
Blow that. You've had all year. If you don't know the whole picture well you really shouldn't expect a Band 6.

Also, how would you get around that if you were asked to assess Stalinism as Totalitarianism? You might just think that it's all about Stalin, but it's roots lie deep within Lenin's pre-revolutionary writings.

nwatts

HSC
05er said:
Blow that. You've had all year. If you don't know the whole picture well you really shouldn't expect a Band 6.
nwatts said:
I don't recommend it, but if you're worried, you should be able to get away with it.
It was more a comment to those who were super-stressed about not knowing the content for Thursday.

And I don't do Russia, but I can imagine something similar could happen with Germany.

05er

HSC
nwatts said:
It was more a comment to those who were super-stressed about not knowing the content for Thursday.

And I don't do Russia, but I can imagine something similar could happen with Germany.
Ahhh, so so sorry :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)